Another Classic SG ...

FYI to all -

I will be in Amsterdam on business from 6/13 through 6/19 and will not be able to play during that time. Should my turn come up, feel free to jump in and I will take my allotment once I return.

1730 (0) cont. Expel Japanese diplomat; advance Alpine brigade to cover final approach to Holmpatrick. Reassign workers in various cities to minimize pollution, with losses to shield and food production.

I take a long, long look north from Emain Macha. ... And I establish the city of Dunsany northeast of Armagh, and complete intervening railline; and I have one of the Achill engineers rejoin that city to create the unit support for a second transport that will be needed. Rush buy (RB) 12 transports, 8 engineers, 2 barracks, plus some Superhighways, Mass Transits, and Supermarkets. RB's partly financed by Derry Gold, Vallodolid, 2430g; Belfast Gold, Vallodolid, 2214. Begin dismantling the Spanish ship chain.

Spanish develop Communism.

1740 (1). Amphibious Warfare. Share Maps w/ Spanish; we learn more of the lands of the English Civilization; they seem to prefer Copper over Dye, and they like Coal and Silk. (Actually, a pretty decent recon courtesy of our allies). Try same with Americans; they demand computers, we decline, they end our alliance. Okay ... We pester the Japanese.

Establish the cities of Kells (nw of Conner), Ballaghadereen (on island due west of Emain Macha), Port Erin (on isthumus between Seville and Saragossa); and, toward the English, Portadown (via transport on neck of land ne of Dunsany).

Portmarnock Gold, Vallodolid, 1620g; Merthyr Gold, Vallodolid, 2420g (demand expires); Galway Hides, Vallodolid, 870g; Dinas Powys Dye, Vallodolid, 1368g (Gold demand remains blocked). RB 18 engineers, 8 transports, 2 barracks, 14 city improvements. 174g left in treasury. Budget changed from 6.4.0 to 5.5.0, the raise luxuries to help ensure Engineer-producing cities remain in WLKD mode.

1750 (2). Nuke Fission. The city of Skull founded SE of Cordoba to realign trade route to Spain: Raphoe +++ Ardmore === Kells +++ Ballaghadereen +++ Skull +++ Port Erin. Japan now reached via Quilty +++ Leenane === Shrule +++ Bantry +++ Holmpatrick, with Kerry +++ Lahinch +++ Holmpatrick as a backup route. Pair engineers (in addition to some trucks) land in Skull and begin work on improving Spain's road and rail network.

Lisdoonvarna founded (via transport) NW of Portadown; Spy commences westward exploration therefrom. Galway Silk, Cartagena, 2900g; Guinness Gems, Seville, 1134g; Derry Hides, Seville; 860g; Dinas Emrys, Gems, 2502g; Derry Hides, Seville, 816g. RB 15 engineers, 4 transports, 14 supermarkets, 2 Superhighways, 2 Harbors, 2 Aquaducts, and a few military units. Cure for Cancer "seeded" with two trucks of food, and rush bought for 2000g. 38g left in treasury.

1752 (3). Nuke Power. Cure for Cancer in Belfast. Gregorian calendar adopted. Establish city of Castlereagh founded (via transport) on island NW of Lisdoonvarna; Spy and our NON 'Phant commences exploration on mainland to the west thereof. Using a pair Achill transports -- now Nuke powered (!) -- as part of a chain from Dunsany, establish Tipperary ("Long Road") NE of Castlereagh, and right next door to the English city of Bristol. Land seven units in city. Contact with English at Bristol; diplomatic exchange refused, and our 1200+ year Cease Fire with English finally expires. NON Settler and Engineer joined to Tipperary, bringing to Size 3. Spy reconnoiters Bristol and neighboring city of Manchester (courtesy of preexisting rails); destroys barracks production in Manchester, survives to become Vet. Barna Silk, Manchester, 1620g. Senate overrides attack by Howitzer battalion at Bristol; pre-charged Engineer fortifies intervening square, and a Mech. Inf. brigade settles down therein.

Galway Hides, Vallodolid, 870g; Galway Gold, Valencia, 2574g; Guinness Gold, Valencia, 1068g. Rush buy 15 engineers, 4 city improvements, and a half dozen military units. 33g left in Treasury.

Japanese develop Conscription. Emissary from the English; we hear them out: "If you do not leave the vicinity of Bristol immediately, we shall send our mighty armies to drive you out."

1754 (4). Flight. Howitzer battalion attempts attack at Bristol -- and the eight sweetest words in Civ II are heard: "Hawk Party derails attempted Senate Interfence. Action confirmed!" Two more transports arrive at Tipperary (3 Howitzers, 1 Alp.Inf., 1 Armor, 1 Partisan, 1 Freight, and 9 Engineers -- 3 of which are pre-charged). Howitzer battalions complete garrison reductions of Bristol and Manchester, eliminating eight English Rifle brigades in all. Leenane Coal, Manchester, 945g. Seven engineers are committed to establishing the city of Enniskillen, to the north of Bristol and on the coast of the "northern seas." Remaining engineers fortify adjacent to Manchester. A third transport establishes the city of Downpatrick between Castlereagh and Tipperary, the final link in our northward route to the English civilization (Raphoe +++ Ardmore === Kells +++ Emain Macha === Dunsany +++ Portadown +++ Lisdoonvarna +++ Castlereagh +++ Downpatrick +++ Tipperary). This completes phase one of a plan. Durrow Gold, Valencia, 1530g; four "lesser" freight to Spanish cities. RB transport in Enniskillen; Fighters in Castlereagh, Downpatrick, and Tipperary (for Partisan suppression); plus a few city improvements. Our NON Horsie commences exploration to the Northwest of Downpatrick to ensure no English settlements to the west of Bristol.

Vikings develop tactics; Viking Ironclads spotted off Notre Dame, Portmarnock. (And our defenses versus the Vikings are all but non-existent.)

1756 (5). Radio. Belfast Gems, Madrid, 1320g. City joinings: two Engineers each to Enniskillen, Downpatrick, Castlereagh, Lisdoonvarna, Portadown. More forces land at Tipperary (3 Howitzers, Mech.Inf., Alp.Inf., Armor, and Freight). Derry Gold, Bristol, 2316g; Wexford Gold, Bristol, 2094g (demand lost); Galway Hides, Bristol, 798g (opens Silk demand). Bristol and Manchester garrisons again destroyed by Howitzer battalion. Fighter recon from Tipperary: Norwich discovered, one attack by English Dragoons anticipated. With the prospects of making a killing on the English markets, we pay 3100g to convince the Americans to declare war on the English (and hopefully keep any English naval units far north occupied). And, in a modification of plans, launch transport with Spy and Partisan from Enniskillen, heading northeast; Spy discovers city of Warwick. RB: 24 units, 15 improvements.

Americans go Fundy. English develop Tactics. English Dragoon defeated at Manchester; our transport outbound from Enniskillen remains undetected. ...

1758 (6). Advanced Flight. After dropping off partisan outside Warwick, and reinforced by units on second transport out of Enniskillen, Irish land west of London and establish the city Antrim (Forever!); Engineer added to bring to size 2. Mech.Inf brigade destroys English Cannon on railway to London. Warwick, Nottingham, and London reconnoitered; barracks destroyed at Nottingham (Spy-->Vet). Galway Dye, Nottingham, 1760g; Dublin Dye, London, 1884g. Fort Sein Finn established in hills between London and Hastings; city walls rush built in both outposts. Bristol and Manchester garrisons again destroyed by Howitzer battalion. Glenfiddich Silk to Bristol, 1770g. Engineers build Manchester by-pass road; Irish seize intervening fortification. Howitzer battalions destroy four English units advancing from Norwich toward Manchester. More units and Freight land in Tipperary. Glenfiddich Gems, Madrid, 1116g. After heavy infrastructural RB's (Offshore Platforms and Superhighways), 14g left in treasury.

Viking gov't overthrown (to Republic). Sneak attack by Vikings! Alpine Inf. brigade lost to Vikings Ironclad at Dinas Powys. Spain goes Democratic. English Dragoons nearly win against our Mech. Inf. brigade at Fort Sein Finn; another Dragoon defeated at Norwich. English Cavalry fails to attack at Antrim. Again, no attack on transport between Enniskillen and Antrim.

1760 (7). Laser. Another shipment chained from Enniskillen to Antrim. Howitzer eliminates English Engineers on RR to London. Pre-charged Engineer fortifies outside London, fortification occupied by Mech. Inf. Vet. Armor and "insurance" food freight to Fort Sein Finn. (Oddly, Food freight does not take effect: no route, only three food added to storage ... but it provides us with a couple of turns insurance against starvation) Engineer added to Antrim, bringing to size 3. Airports rush built in both Antrim and Fort Sein Finn. Belfast Spice, London, 2112g; Drogheda Gold, Nottingham, 2652g.

Guinness Copper, Norwich, 604g. Howitzer battalions make short work of Norwich garrison; Fighters support with Partisan suppression. Captured with Partisans (51g); EP. Howitzers eliminate four more units outside Norwich. Airport rush built in Norwich. Spy on recon discovers Newcastle and Canterbury; Newcastle reconnoitered (six Rifles, and significantly, no naval units). Holmpatrick Coal, Newcastle, 1075g.

Intel Report: Vikings, 1760. They like Copper, Coal, Dye.

Spy damages Viking Ironclad off Raphoe, is lost. Dinas Powys garrison replaced, irrigating Engineer withdrawn. Battleship in Roskilde Bay temporarily withdrawn. Letterfrack Oil, Galway, 1223g. Barna Oil, Dundalk, 1316g. RB: Transports in Castlebar, Wexford, Ennis, Derry, Dundalk, Tara. Also RB some more barracks, airports, as well as Superhighways, Sewers, and Offshore Platforms.

Japanese Gov't Overthrown; Japanese Musketeer wanders toward our Vet. Alp. Inf. outside Holmpatrick. Wounded Viking Ironclads withdraw. No English attack at Sein Finn; English Cavalry and Cannon behave very confused in front of fortification covering Antrim, with no attacks and leaving themselves sitting ducks to Irish Howitzers. English Partisan destroys its own fortification near Norwich.

1762 (8). Rocketry. Population exceeds 50 million; pollution indicator finally off. Emissary to Japanese. Our demand for troop withdrawal is met with War!

One last shipment from Enniskillen to Antrim, starring the "octo-charged" engineer, which "upgrades" our defenses in front of Antrim. Howitzer battalions dispatch six English units in front of Antrim defenses. Armor battalion destroys English Rifles near Fort Sein Finn. With railways reopened to commerce, Lahinch Dye, Warwick, 1072g; Shrule Wine, Cambridge, 1520g; Kilkenny Coal, Hastings, 1810g.

And one last double shipment north to Tipperary (mainly freight); "normalize" ferries between Dunsany and Tipperary, sending three excess transports through the Downpatrick canal into the northern seas. Ballybunion Silver, Newcastle, 2140g; Leenane Silk, Newcastle, 1664g. Howitzer battalions destroy six English Rifles in Newcastle. Full Partisan suppression employed, city captured for 144g. Port Facility rush built. Barracks destroyed in York, spy lost. And, as there's no real rush to overrun lucrative markets, transfer four Howitzers south from Tipperary to ...

Holmpatrick -- via ten separate ferries -- for operations against the Japanese. One Howitzer battalion destroys Japanese rifles at Kyoto, leaving our antique Cannons an opportunity against some vet Muskets. Two cannons succeed, one cannon fails; Howitzers polish off remaining Musket, Engineer, and Transport. Partisans suppressed, and Kyoto captured for 627g (plus Adam Smith); Japanese capital to Edo. Howitzer destroys Rifles at Osaka; remaining Cannons destroy a pair of Muskets in an unfair fight (i.e., no city walls).

With an extra transport available at Port Erin, send transport to inlet near Toledo in hopes of setting up attack on Yokohama. Also park a Truck full of Hides next to Japanese dragoons outside Yokohama in hopes of bringing the Spanish into the war. I hope this works, because in an effort to repair relations with the Spanish (down to neutral), I accede to their demand Advance Flight.

RB: Continue rush building Viking invasion force, plus more freight and city improvements, including some sewers where needed.

Japan to Republic. Japanese Dragoons withdraw in the face of our mighty Trucks; unfortunately, our Transport near Toledo is lost to a Japanese Frigate. Japanese Ironclad arrives at Port Erin, but fails to attack our units adjacent to the city. Wounded Viking Ironclads withdraw westwards. Three English Cavalry are defeated.

1764 (9). Space Flight. More freight shipped to Tipperary. Portmarnock Dye, Hastings, 1396g; Notre Dame Gold, Nottingham, 1638g; Derry Oil, London, 3169g (!); Achill Silver, Dublin, 2320g; Ballybunion Silk, Madrid, 1494g; Killarney Gold, 1656g; Tara Dye, Cadiz, 850g.

Spy reconnoiters Liverpool (2 Alp.Inf., 2 Rifles, no naval units, no Cavalry); reconnoiters Canterbury (6 Rifles, 1 Alp, no Cavalry, building University); reconnoiters Richmond (4 Rifles, no naval units, no Cavalry). We decide to bypass the first two cities, and use Engineers to advance rails to Richmond (and then Exeter), and give our Howitzers a brief respite.

Cannon destroys Transport in Osaka; city captured for 400g (plus the loss of two Ironclads, three transports, and three Engineers). EP. Howitzers eliminate three Partisans. Aegis Cruiser out of Port Erin destroys Japanese Ironclad and Frigate (plus two units in Transport); Aegis finishes turn with transport ready to try assault on Yokohama again.

Aegis Cruiser out of Dinas Powys sinks Viking caraval; assembly of Viking invasion force continues.

RB: Finish rush building Viking invasion force, plus many Superhighways and Offshore Platforms. And a mere 755g left in bank.

Japanese and Vikings form Yokohama Pact (Corporation and Atomic Theory exchanged); Japanese and English form Gloucester Pact; Vikings develop Communism; Vikings acquire Seafaring from our so-called Allies, the Spanish. (!!!) Aegis Cruiser successfully defends against Japanese Frigate and Ironclad.

1766 (10). Plastics. Spy is lost destroying Cavalry production in London, this covering completion of railline around London. Reconnaissance reveals Diplomat production in both Cambridge and Nottingham; spy transferred north to cover probable espionage attempts. Lahinch Wine, Richmond, 1065g; Barna Beads, Antrim, 876g (not bad); Belfast Spice, London, 1880g (to assure acquisition of Combined Arms next turn, with Stealth to follow?). Howitzer battalions destroy Richmond Rifles; complete Partisan suppression achieved, and city captured for Howitzer repair. EP. Elsewhere, two Marines and one Cavalry destroyed, though Howitzer nearly lost against one of the Marines. Transport encounters English Frigate in Northern Sea, and disembarks our NON Horsie and 'Phant on second English continent (#4). And ... our Northern Fleet is launched from the cities of Enniskillen, Norwich, Newcastle, and Antrim.

Our attack against Yokohama having successfully thwarted by a Spanish Frigate blockading Port Erin, we instead attack Nagasaki; and in a case caution leading to an overkill, Nagasaki is defended by single transport. One of three Howitzers eliminates garrison, and full partisan suppression, city captured for 350g. Howitzer battalions eliminate three Rifles, and Cannon destroys one Engineer at Edo; full partisan suppression, city captured for 552g (capital to Satsuma). EP. Two Japanese diplomats and a Rifle then destroyed outside Edo. Aegis Cruiser sinks another pair of Japanese Frigates.

With the completion of initial build-up for invasion of Viking Civilization complete, phase one of "Operation Marlborough" is launched. First transport arrives off Jarlshof; spy reconnoiters and discovers no Coastal Fortress. Irish Battleship and Aegis Cruisers destroy two Rifles, one Alp.Inf. Downpatrick Copper delivered for 616g. Second and Third transports follow; complete Partisan suppression achieved, and city captured. EP. Armor and Partisans destroy two Cavalry, two Settlers to clear some roads. Dunsany Dye, Aarhus, 484g; Annagdown Copper, Ravning Edge, 388g. A pair of Viking Vans eliminated near Aarhus. Advanced fortification seized between Viborg and Aarhus; Spies reconnoiter to just past Uppsala. Total "First Wave" Landing: 2 Howitzers, 4 Armor, 4 Mech.Inf., 4 Partisans, 4 Engineers, 3 Spies, and 3 Freight; ready for "Second Wave": 10 Howitzers, 7 Freight, and 7 Engineers.

Spy discovers Advanced Tribe of Skellig on island northeast of Skull ... (Partisans would have been so much nicer!).

And a few notes on "Economic Grand Strategy" ... which is to say, I've been taking my time against the English because it's a lucrative new market, with big cities and a good "supply and demand" relationship. With the exception of Newcastle (as a northern port), I've been bypassing the bigger cities and picking off the smaller ones. I've targeted Exeter as the next city to fall, since apparently there is no road connection between Exeter and Brighton. After that, I'd swing back north to take York, Hastings and Cambridge (for their potential as ports for continued north- and northeastward expansion). And then maybe Nottingham so that when London then falls, the capital will move south to one of the "isolated" cities to the south; I'm guessing Canterbury. This should also help with corruption in Manchester and Bristol, increasing the potential payoff for freight delivered to those cities. (I've been slowly building roads around these cities to improve future profits when I've had engineers to spare ...). An eye should be kept on Liverpool's production if this order is followed.

According to our latest intelligence, the English have a total of 28 cities. We've id'd sixteen "core" cities, plus the three cities further north close to the Americans. There is another city to the south of Richmond that my "partisan suppression" fighter couldn't quite discover. That leaves eight other cities, the majority of which are probably on continent #4, where Horsie and 'Phant may run into ...

The Vikings, on the other hand, are not such a lucrative market. Might as well blitz them, keeping an eye out for Copper production when the cities are captured. The Americans want Copper, and right now are Copper production is almost non-existent. (Note: they have one city for which we do not a positive location ... it could be quite close to one of our cities. Some of our first Stealth Fighters in the south should try to locate their last city.)

I had considered the Japanese to be a non-threat. After the tech exchanges and alliances last turn, this may have been a premature judgment. And caution may be needed with our Spanish allies. I've soured relations with them enough that if we don't give in their tech demands, they may cancel our alliance. (Hmm, you know we've given democracy a bad name when the only civ that likes us is Fundy.)

There are few Engineers still available for work this turn; those near Merthyr I'd precharge before their shipment to Jarlshof next turn; and those near Norwich are available for operations against the English, depending upon which ever direction the next move will be made.

The discovery of Plastics has increased pollution in a number of our cities; these are designated with Mass Transits in the production queu. Asterisks denote our cities with barracks. Capitalization indicates no particular suggestion on my part on what to produce next. A lot of cities could use some marketplaces, especially in the new cities I've founded (too busy building transports and freight ...)

With three wars in progress, the turns are getting longer. Perhaps a five (or six) for the next round of play?

Attachments

• BR_A1766.SAV
    180.2 KB · Views: 118
:eek: :beer: :thumbsup: :worship:

PS: 83 Engineers and 68 transports?!??! I've got to learn to be even more aggressive building those.

Hello all:

Guess I'm up next. I will surely keep things to 5 turns. I am back from Amsterdam now and will get to the game by this weekend at the very latest.

Kev said:
Hello all:

Guess I'm up next. I will surely keep things to 5 turns. I am back from Amsterdam now and will get to the game by this weekend at the very latest.

Actually ...

Duke of Marlbrough said:
Should be Andu, then you, then me. I wouldn't have a problem with it not making it as far as me. ;)

TimTheEnchanter said:
:eek: :beer: :thumbsup: :worship:

PS: 83 Engineers and 68 transports?!??! I've got to learn to be even more aggressive building those.

In the great Spy versus Freight Debate, in the short run I really couldn't distinguish which of the two is more powerful. But over the long run, I'd argue that Engineers are the most powerful unit in the game. Of course, it's the reciprical combination of Engineers and Freight that really alter the dynamics of the game by introducing what is nearly the exponential growth possible in the Power Democracy. That is a big reason why I delay RR-Industrialization for between twenty to forty turns: to mass produce Engineers and their support (i.e., Farmland in the core) in addition to building up a sizeable reserve of Vans that will be transformed in Trucks with the rush building of Darwin's Voyage. You really can never have too many Engineers.

And ... as a general rule of thumb, I will always take Engineer over a Taxman any day.

(Transports, on the otherhand, merely follow the dictates of geography ...)

Am I not up? I was under the impression that Duke was addressing me when he wrote "First Andu, then YOU, then me....

Kev said:
Am I not up? I was under the impression that Duke was addressing me when he wrote "First Andu, then YOU, then me....
That was my impression as well. I say knock yourself out.

Great set of turns by Tim and Andu, our empire is now completely unrecognizable from what it looked like when I finished playing 30 turns ago. I agree that for the 'round' that now starts each player should play only 5 or 6 turns - at least I would accomplish far more in 5 turns now than I did in the 10 turns I played last time. I was actually a bit surprised that Andu didn't completely destroy the Japanese.

And finally just one thing: How come the Manhattan Project hasn't been finished ? :D

Well, I played 5-1/2 turns - just wanted to play enough into the 6th to complete something specific, and so the next person can play after that. I'll try to get the write-up and game out tonight...

I guess I can give you a few teasers, but really it was more setting stuff up.

* Well, SOMEbody ceases to exist...
* We established a foothold on a new continent - question is: did it hold?
* A sneak attack from a source I did not expect
* An inconvenient barb uprising
* Does an engineer **** in the woods? - the one I left in the woods someplace just might
* Built a wonder - does it go boom?
* I'm guessing 90% of my builds were one of four items - two types of improvements and two types of units.

Boy, these turns DO take a while...

Kev said:
* A sneak attack from a source I did not expect
* Does an engineer **** in the woods? - the one I left in the woods someplace just might
* I'm guessing 90% of my builds were one of four items - two types of improvements and two types of units.

Boy, these turns DO take a while...

Here are my guesses:
Japan ceases to exist
American continent foothold
Sneak attack from the Spanish
Barbs somewhere up north
Engineers do do do-do
You bet it goes boom!:nuke:
Hmmm - haven't looked at the game for a while, but maybe barracks and airports, howies and spies?

I'll be back in HK and able to play Sunday or Monday, but skip me if that is too long!

In a strange timing issue, I'm going to attach the game here while at home and then do my writeup at work (see where my priorities are?).

You can either look at the game now and wonder how things got the way they did (and snicker) or wait for the writeup and THEN wonder how things got the way they did.

Attachments

• BR_A1778.SAV
    179 KB · Views: 127
:gripe: It's the ultimate teaser!! Here I sit, knowing it's all there in front of me, but unable to load the game until I get home.

I have the same problem, have to wait for several hours until I can have a look at the game.

:hmm: But one can always try guessing what happened:

* The Japanese no longer exist
* A foothold on the American continent
* The Americans sneak attacked, possibly way south since it was unexpected
* Barbs in one of the colonies (probably an isolated one)
* Can't imagine what the engineer did
* If it's just one wonder my guess is Apollo Program to reveal the map
* Airports, superhighways (in recently captured cities), howitzers and freight (I don't think we have stealth yet, otherwise I'd build lots of stealth fighters)

Howard O'Hughes ran his corporation much like... Well... Very much like a leader would run a country.

After dabbling in motion pictures, Howard inherited and began running the Celt/Irish Company in 1766. An innovator, inventor, and with an eye to new and different technologies, Howard put forth his plans for the corporation with a bent toward aviation. "The skies," He would say, "Now belong to us, and I believe that if we stay one step ahead of everyone else - two steps or more if possible - they will be ours forevermore!"

The world was not without competition, and Howard took stock in those that would be his foes in this business....

JapanIndustries, while trying to keep up with the torrid pace of technology, just did not seem to have enough market share to really make a bid for top dog. Probable takeover target in the short term.

Viking, Inc. Carved a niche in their own part of the market, but a CEO that was not tech-minded combined with a branch that was in "the red" up to their north that drained resources has doomed the company to obscurity. The takeover of the Jarlsoff branch has given Celt/Irish a foothold, and a slower takeover will undoubtedly occur.

Spain Associates, Howard's perceived ally in business, but eventually will have to become part of the parent Celt/Irish before their board of directors might decide something foolish - like competition.

PanAmerican had always been a smaller, unassuming company. However, their technology and innovation levels were becoming apparent. While in the past they were friendly to the Celt/Irish Company - even exchanging technology - they may be close to entering the skies. Still, with their far-flung company headquarters, Howard felt it could wait before they need to absorb them.

England Unlimited. Now this was an ongoing problem. They had expanded to many different markets and, with their size and number of satellite offices, had put serious pressure to try to take over market leadership. Howard's predecessor had put things in motion to crush this competition, and the hostile takeover would continue.

Minutes from Celt/Irish Board of Directors meeting 1766:

Howard to Board: "I see that we use these ships, these TRANSports if you will, to move around our freight and our takeover agents (from the firm of Howitzer, Infantry, and Tank). We have the SKIES, gentlemen. Sure, now we have those smaller prop-jobs, but just think what we can do when we can just connect cities by a line in the air... A line in the air I tell you. Distance won't be measured by 'how the CROW flies' but by how the Celt/Irish planes do."

Pause here as Mr. O'Hughes scrubs at a spot on the floor until it is removed.

Continues: "What we need, see, are ports but for air ships. Ports for air, I'm telling you, it's the way of the future."

The board agreed, and airports became the main build in the company.

Corporate spies report:

Takeover attempts by JapanIndustries and England Unlimited were repelled. Corporate espionage attempt by England denied.

Area near Lahinch in now in the "RED". Unhappy protestors threaten the branch. Plans made to quell.

1768 (1):

Board meeting as Howard O'Hughes speaks to the Board of Directors:

"Let me start by saying that our corporate marketers have designed a "COMBINED ARMS" package that will make it easier to bring in branches from our competition. There is a SUPERCONDUCTOR deal I need my people to look into, and I think that this will help our planes. I did mention that we love planes, right? Our ports for the air - or airports for short - are now coming on line and we are startin' to look to send stuff that way. Sure, we are still using the ship method - and that works fine - but sure is a lot of work".

Pause to allow Mr. O'Hughes time to readjust all of his clothing and polish his shoes.

"NOW, I must put forth my complaints to the board. I am given the task of growing this Company, and I am trying to do so by absorbing branches from some of our competition. We took the Viborg Branch from Viking, Inc, the Satsuma Branch from JapanIndustries, and the Manchester Branch from England Unlimited, and in EACH case the board has decided to call off the dogs. I cannot go about the business of business and the business of flight with a board who does not have the taste for blood."

Properly chastised, the board agreed to do what they can.

"Finally, I HAVE to address the issue of the messes that are popping up. I mean, so much mess generated by our company is just [Howard visibly shaking] SO MESSY... We NEED to clean this up and scrub and polish and...."

Mr. O'Hughes excused himself and did not return. Still, the board approved the production of Mass Transit for their branches and put a great deal of the company holdings into these projects for the sake of their CEO's sanity... they hoped...

Corporate spies report:

JapanIndustries now has Advance Flight - and they have given Chemistry to Spain Associates. England Unlimited also obtains Advance Flight. This will not make the CEO happy to be sure.

More foiled corporate espionage.

The foolish head of English Unlimited tried to takeover a branch of Celt/Irish. Spain Associates tells us they are equally appalled and agree to help us in any way they can. Suck ups.

Lahinch facing more community unrest.

1770 (2):

Mass Transits and Airports are the order of the day as our freight and our people in mergers and acquisions are working overtime. We also have been scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing.....

Mr. O'Hughes addresses the board of directors...

"I would first like to thank the board for their work in allowing Celt/Irish to continue to grow by acquision. Indeed we have absorbed the branches of York, Bristol, Berwick, Nottingham, and London from the hated English Unlimited. HAH. Even got them to change their corporate HQ from London to their Hastings branch. Got back at JapanIndustries as well taking their Nara branch. They have yet to even BUILD a new HQ. The Vikings, well, we'll just let them stew for a while while they unsuccessfully try to go for our knowledge... go for our knowledge... GO for our knowledge.... go FOR our knowledge... go for OUR knowledge... Go for our KNOWledge..."

Pause here for a break while friends of Mr. O'Hughes settle down the CEO.

Continues:

"Gentlemen, I have to tell you of two things going on that will greatly enhance our domination of the skies. We figured out that superconductor thingy, and we think that we can use this technology to apply a STEALTH aspect to our planes. We will hit them before they even know it.

Also, we have launched a Program, I named it after the Greek/Roman god Apollo and it involved sending a module, MANNED mind you, into space. Yep, into space I tell ya. Know what they saw there? EVERYTHING. We can see everything our dirty, messy, slimy competition is doing and where they have all their branches. Beats the hell outta this exploring stuff we were doing - like elephants in the dark we were.. WE were... WE WERE... Were we.... "

Mr. O'Hughes is escorted away.

Espionage report:

Viking, Inc did develop corporation but has done little else lately. PanAmerican representative from Dragoon Mergers has been spotted in residence near our Antrim Forever branch - what will that hold we do not know. We NEED to do something with the unhappy townspeople near Lahinch branch as they are now starting to hurt our outside distrubtion there. Finally, the pigdogs of England Unlimited developed refining and have STOLEN PLASTICS from some internal mole.

Part II to come

Part II

1772 (3):

More corporate mergers for the growing Celt/Irish Company. Warwick and Coventry join the happy family from England Unlimited while tensions with Viking, Inc caused them to foolishly announce their intentions in the Wall Street Journal of combating Celt/Irish. In response, Celt/Irish acquire Ravning Edge, a thriving Viking branch, and while there is still tension that exists, the Board of Directors at Celt/Irish call a moratorium on branch absorbing with regard to Viking, Inc.

A now bearded Howard O'Hughes addressed the board:

"Gentleman, stop meddling. I know what this company needs, and if it needs outfits from Viking, Inc then by God I will take those outfits for the company. And, please, we have to stop with the messes. I can't have any of my branch companies having a mess nearby them. Damn they are messy and goopy and need to be wiped away sooooo clean....

Ahem. Sorry for my change of direction.

Anyways, the good news here is that stealth technology is now ours and I've already applied it to our planes in flight. My, it is so lovely to see. I think that those so called, "community activitsts" near our Lahinch branch may see the first one. Now, here's what I say: we NEED to get cleaner. Clean is as clean does and it IS next to Godliness they say. Not just the transit system stuff, though. We need to worry about the WHOLE environment and I have put our considerable resources forward to find a way to benefit the environment as a whole - that is to say the whole environment thing being wholly for the environment...."

End of minutes.

Corporate Espionage:

We have now been made aware that the same mole who got plastics to England Unlimited has also contacted Viking, Inc. and made it available to them. We suggest corporate war with them to deter this behavior (approved by the board).

Very distressing, but the PanAmerican agent from Dragoon Acquisitions came knocking, very hard, at the doors of Antrim Forever. They have already taken the Oxford branch from England (and the knowledge of refining), and thought that we were an easy mark. Looks like the game is now on with PanAmerican.

1774 (4):

Letter to board of directors from close friend and corporate ally to Mr. Howard O'Hughes:

Sorry, but Mr. O'Hughes is not available to speak with the board. If he were, he would most likely tout the continued growth of Celt/Irish through the takeover of Cantebury and Liverpool from England Unlimited and Kagoshima from JapanIndustries. He would surely be thankful to the board for funding the efforts for the Environment, and is excited by the prospects of fusion. He says that this could really help with flight - especially to the stars. Keep in mind, he's not crazy or anything like that.

The corproate intelligence report to the board:

We have seen more maneuvering by the haughty PanAmerican Company. They have figured out Advanced Flight, and if that were not enough, they have signed a "no-compete" agreement with England Unlimited, and traded Plastics (to PanAmerica) for Theology (to England) to seal the deal. They then met at the England Unlimited branch in San Francisco to publicly announce a pact against the Celt/Irish Company. How fitting that the branch used to be under control of PanAmerican, but I doubt the business tabloids picked up on that subtelty.

1776 (5):

A twitching but slick and well dressed O'Hughes addressing the board of Celt/Irish Company 1776:

"I must tell you what a wonderful year this has been. <pause> Yes, fusion can help us fly as high as the stars, but do we dare? We will look into the fundamentalistic aspects of this to be sure. <pause>

What else... <pause>

We put a new branch out there - kindof a place to keep an eye on the Eastern half of England Unlimited. I call it the Isle of Skye, and from there we lauched a hostile takeover campaign. After much softening up from our hitmen at AEGIS Agency, our takeover people flew in there paratrooper style and now the Dover branch is ours (with a great theatre in the nearby town dedicated to Shakespeare). We are sending those lawyerly guys from Howitzer, Infantry, and Tank, but for now she'll hold. We also took Hastings from Western England Unlimited forcing them to once again move their corporate HQ - this time to Cambridge.

What else... <pause>

Ah! We took over Nagoya from JapanIndustries and wonder how and why they built that huge tower. They call it the Eiffel tower, but I think it would be better to scrap it and make more planes....

<pause>

That reminds me. Our stealth fighters are up and running and they look beautiful. Station some of them in cities to see what's what. We have used the stealth technology to remove the bad core of the community uprising near Lahinch, so it has already proved it's usefulness.

<pause>

Ah, yes, I almost forgot. As we took Uppsala, I want to thank the board for approving continued takeover actions vs Viking, Inc.

<pause>
<pause>
<pause>"

Mr. O'Hughes is eventually escorted away.

Corporate intelligence:

JapanIndustries, in a last gasp effort to retain shareholders, announced Amphibious Warfare technologies - only about five decaded too late. Viking, Inc. announces they now have Medicine which is received poorly as this is about twenty decades behind.

With wide wing prop-jobs from England Unlimited harassing the airspace of Isle of Skye, it became very apparent that the power of the stealth fighters would keep them in check. Two prop-job-drops (into the ocean that is) proves it quite distinctly.

1778 (6):

Letter written in shaky hand to the Board of Directors of Celt/Irish Company from CEO Howard O'Hughes:

Gentlemen:

I regret to inform you that I can no longer continue to serve as the CEO for Celt/Irish Company due to failing health. It has been a pleasure to serve, and I leave it up to the Board to put forth an able successor.

The Fundamentalism that I have now seen in our corporate climate will continue to guide us toward Future Tech. I trust that we, as a company, will study things wisely.

I am very happy, however, that I retained my position long enough to see the Izumo and Yokohama branches of JapanIndustries join our fine Company, completing the full absorption of this company into ours.

There is still much to do this year and over the many others that lay ahead. I hope and trust that the path we follow will lead to a Celt/Irish world that all might enjoy.

Best regards,

Howard O'Hughes
CEO Emeritus

Notes to come

Since everyone else is taking a stab at guessing this stuff, I'll try while I wait.
Kev said:
The vikings are a possibility, but they probably have too many cities and poor infrastructure, so I'll go with the crowd and say Japan

I'll guess the second English continent (Continent 4, I believe) and I would assume it held.

* A sneak attack from a source I did not expect.
Americans attack northern shipping lanes or port cities

The obvious choice is the empty lands to the west of the Chain leading up to Tipperary, but just to be different, I'll say in the wastelands to the west of our original cities

A nomad in the wilderness perhaps? I'm really not sure what this one means.
Edit - Maybe it was off somewhere and got overtaken by the barb uprising, thus it was scared ****less?

Nah, I'll guess apollo as well. Make things interesting by starting the space race before we're really ready

There were a few starving, and several borderline unhappy cities so I'll guess harbors and Superhighways, Howies needed to be built, and then I'll say engineers (to eventually clean up after The Viking's turns)

Ack it was posted while I was putting this together.

Japan :)
Continent 4 :) (If I read that correctly)
Americans :)
Barbs near Lahinch :(
Still don't know where the engineer fits in :confused:
Apollo :)
Airports, Mass Transit, Freight and howies :( :( :( :)

Edit after reading next couple posts...

Notes:

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Following Andu sometimes makes me feel like I'm drawing a moustache on a Rembrandt. Once I finally got my brain around all of the parts - and there were a LOT of parts - I could see that it was a well-oiled machine I was inheriting. Still, I took it upon myself to be my lazy self and muck it all up.

Possibly the greatest thing I had handed to me was the ship chain. From bottom to top, this thing could get anything anywhere - and back if needed. Hey, I understand the ship chain idea: transport 8 units per ship and have them ALL ready to go THAT turn. Hard to beat. My problem has always been one of patience. This is multiplied ten fold when I'm at the end game (which we essentially are in now - at 1778!) Usually, I abandon a game at this stage for the lure of a new start somewhere else, but I went forward here to see how things would go.

In my laziness and desire to shorten my turns, I turn to lame things to get things done. I'd rather set up airports and fly things from place-to-place. I know that you can't use those units that turn and that it only will be one unit per lift, but it only takes a few clicks and it does get the job done... eventually. Also, I have a horrible habit of just paying money for stuff without the full partial-rushing that I should be doing. We had so much money coming in, however, that I just could not sit and deal with that on a larger level. Also, I did try to at least have SOME shields in place before the rush-buy, but at times I just bought from scratch and dealt with it.

Upon edit: I should mention that the airports have one very nice side-effect. With the taking over of the English markets, I have been trading with our own cities quite a bit now. I can find demand for things all over so my restrictions were less. So, in this case, when BOTH cities have airports the payoffs have been very, very good. Better, in many cases, than we were getting with foreign trade. I was also better able to find markets for higher-rated freight like oil and uranium - tough if not impossible to find in foreign settings. So, internal trading is a very viable money-maker for those who take the next turns. Just be sure both cities have the aforementioned airport. End of edit.

In any case, here are my notes for the 5.5 turns I took:

1. I was hesitant to take the last Japanese city of Yokahama as it was on the Spanish mainland and would open us up to Spanish dips. However, I wanted the Japanese gone for trading purposes, and even if Spain gets a dip to steal something, we need not declare war right then. Recall that they can only get one tech from that city with dips, so not a big deal in the greater scheme. Also, we may even want a war to take a few Spanish cities just for kicks.
2. I was able to get some units into Dover which now gives us a good foothold on the Eastern Continent of England. There are some good cities here for trading or taking - dealer's choice. With bombers around, I'd get more stealth fighters on board (there are a few ready to go now).
3. In this area, I had the brilliant idea of landing an engineer between Atlanta and Philadephia to establish a foothold on the American main continent. However, the stupid engineer is on a FOREST so could not make a city this turn, but it also is a sitting duck for any American Unit to crush. Not only that, I further stupefied myself by not bringing along a unit to defend the engineer or a city it might make. Urgh. So the engineer is surely sitting in the woods ****ting. My only thought - make peace with America long enough to get things set up there properly. Some great markets for trading there.
4. I had not gone too crazy with the Viking because they just don't scare me and I was more interested in getting things to the English/American theater and cleaning up the Japanese. We have three cities on the continent (all with airports) and have been putting off dips for a while (though one did get through to Ravning Edge I believe). Ships to the south and east continue to bombard cities there, so they will be quite soft in those areas.
5. Pollution was a TOTAL hassle the whole time. As soon as there was even a hint of it in any city, BAM! we had a skull. This is especially true of any city I took over - and it was a pain as I had to build mass transit in those cities (often from scratch) so I could keep my engineers doing more useful things. With environmentalism, it may behoove us to rush some Solar Plants soon so we don't see warming.
6. The ship chain is still there for anyone who wants it, but there are also lots and lots of airports for anyone who wants those too.
7. Sorry to the pro-nuke crowd, but given our total domination and the fact that pollution was already driving me nuts, I did not decide to build Manhattan's. I did build Apollo so I could see the full map and decide where to send things.
8. The stack of barbs near Lahinch is gone thanks to two rushed stealths from Lahinch with support from one from Kerry. Just a matter of cleaning up the rabble now.
9. Still plently left with the turn at hand - I just did my stuff against Japan. All else should still be in motion.

Top Bottom