[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

Am I the only one who hates the new great works drag and drop system? How am I supposed to move items between museums at either ends of the great works screen like this? It's awful.
I find the old system awkward because nothing else in the game was like it. But they really need to add buttons to filter what buildings are shown, like they do with the policy cards.

Completely unrelated: 2kqa_b updated a couple of hours ago. I hope it's a hotfix for the trading nonsense we've seen.

I find the old system awkward because nothing else in the game was like it. But they really need to add buttons to filter what buildings are shown, like they do with the policy cards.

Completely unrelated: 2kqa_b updated a couple of hours ago. I hope it's a hotfix for the trading nonsense we've seen.
Yeah, just the ability to sort by kind of building would solve all the issues with the "new way"

2kqa_a updated also, just now. This one is looks more normal than the previous one.

What do you mean "more normal" - like it's not a hot fix but rather another "regular patch" in the making?

The previous update removed manifests for both expansions and the .exe . Which is pretty weird. Maybe it means hotfix. Maybe not. But it looks weird. The second one looks more like what I typically see for patches.

I prefer Civ 5's policy system because moving around policy cards all the time in Civ 6 is quite annoying, and also the bonuses the cards give seem less... interesting or substantial.

If we could somehow combine civ 6's two tree system (which I like a lot) with civ 5's BUYING policies, I'd like that a lot.

I will agree... if you had to make some kind of investment towards obtaining policy cards besides just getting them through science or culture, that would be better. Or if there was some mechanism that prevented you from switching the cards back and forth all the time, like a lockout timer on card's you've used recently. Something to make the decision to choose which cards you will invest in and use more substantial.

What people are failing to realize is that these lockout systems they're proposing simply mean that the long-term cards that already see extensive play become better while reactive, defensive, or short-term cards become awful. Red cards are bad enough already, why do you want to make them worse?

I swear, this is "tradition and rationalism are perfectly okay" argument applied to civ 6.

We already have permanent policies: they're called "government buildings".

The AI sure seems to like catapults after this patch - playing as Mali and Poland must have sent like 1/2 dozen against me... and I just saw a CS take down one of her cities with catapults as well!

The AI sure seems to like catapults after this patch - playing as Mali and Poland must have sent like 1/2 dozen against me... and I just saw a CS take down one of her cities with catapults as well!
I saw the same - sad thing is that cats were not together with any other unit... so AI could not capture the city it bombarded down to zero...

What people are failing to realize is that these lockout systems they're proposing simply mean that the long-term cards that already see extensive play become better while reactive, defensive, or short-term cards become awful. Red cards are bad enough already, why do you want to make them worse?
there's a fix called "making bad cards better"

So appereantly if you send Gold per Turn to a recipient of an Aid Request while generating Carbon it does not count and you have to manually send Gold sums instead? Logic!

Been playing a saved game with the new patch this week. I have not seen any unusual behavior from the AI regarding trades -- in fact, all of the trades suggested have appeared to be normal and reasonable.

As some are having this problem and some may not, I wonder if there may be other factors at play in the unusual behavior.....

Something that I have done as a matter of practice since the Civ 5 days is that every time there is a patch (or a major update to a Mod I use), I "clear my cache" -- basically, delete the "Cache", "Dumps", "Logs", "ModUserData", and "packagedDumps" folders from the Documents folder for Civ 6.

Another thing to look at is game speed. In the saved game with the new patch, I'm playing on Online speed, which I rarely ever plan on. (I was intending to get a quick game in before the new patch dropped).

So for those that have unusual behavior, in the save prior to the behavior, clear the cache and see if that helps with the outcome.

Just a hunch....

I believe the arrow button works, but as you can expect, this is extremely awkward for right handed users since the arrows are on the right side of the keyboard and you use your mouse with your right hand. It is awful.
They move the map around

can you not scroll while holding onto an item?
Nope...

The previous update removed manifests for both expansions and the .exe . Which is pretty weird. Maybe it means hotfix. Maybe not. But it looks weird. The second one looks more like what I typically see for patches.

I really hope it's a hotfix. I'm not even feeling like starting a game with the trade system in that condition. I still didn't try the patch.

Okay, so how are you feeling about the default walls for city states? I have just completed my first game and the difference seems to be huge: no city state was conquered in the early game, and 11 of 12 survived until the end. This is super good news for CS-happy civs - I might say that the patch actually buffed Hungary in a weird way.

I'll conflicted.

I'm currently playing an immortal game as Mali using a "giant" map script. T156/750. I think there are 24 CS in the game and, to date, I've only received notifications of either three or so city states being captured, all in the last 20 or so turns. So the fact that the AI isn't rolling over them early is good.

Unfortunately, it does take away some of the difficulty because the AI typically throws away half their army trying to conquer a CS early, only to fail, thus also preventing them from snowballing early.

Not only that, but more CS's means more opportunity for the player to abuse their envoys. The AI just kind of places envoys haphazardly. If, for example, there are five scientific city states in the game, I'll try to get at least 6 envoys in each. You're not likely to see the AI do the same. They more often than not throw their envoys at religious or military city states, which are situationally useful.

Simplified, more surviving city states means a greater likelihood of more surviving scientific city states, which benefits the player far more than the AI. More science means you're less likely to fall behind, and given that a science victory is (in my mind) the only real victory type you have to worry about the AI achieving, higher difficulties become that much easier.

I really hope it's a hotfix. I'm not even feeling like starting a game with the trade system in that condition. I still didn't try the patch.

Have you tried a game yet? I suspect it's a factor of game speed or difficulty because the current trade paradigm feels very similar to the previous one to me.

Have you tried a game yet? I suspect it's a factor of game speed or difficulty because the current trade paradigm feels very similar to the previous one to me.

Same here, in fact, I feel the trades proposed and/or accepted are more logical now (and more consistent, sure they pay a lot more for strats, but they also request much more). In example, regarding strats, my observation is that they will pay consistently up to the amount that allows them to build one unit (say 20 iron in standard)... the moment you offer 21 iron, they go 1 Gold as payment... it's a way of saying "I won't pay for more than one unit's worth of strat", or at least it seems to be like that. Prevents abusing them for money with strats, something I did a lot previous to this patch.

So the hotfix has been released already?

I didn't, I might do it tomorrow. Which speed/difficulty do you play? I play on standard speed, Emperor, so I guess I won't be affected by this trade issues?

Top Bottom