• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Anti-Vax Movement

Would you get a COVID-19 Vaccine?

• Yes, US Citizen

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • No, US Citizen

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Yes, Rest of World

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • No, Rest of World

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • N/A - Can't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Colonel

Pax Nostra est Professionis
I've seen a variety of places both on and off line that have suggested a great many Americans might be unwilling to take a vaccine for COVID-19. To that end I've created a poll to see if CFC's populace has a significant anti-vax population. I've broken the poll into US and rest of the world to contrast the two. Also an extra option for those who can't due to religious or medical reasons. We will assume for the purpose of this thread it is contingent on there being no barriers to you getting one, ie money, inaccessibility, etc.

This thread would also be a good place to discuss the anti-vax movement around the world.

Of course I would get it , I'm not a moron ;)

Let me break it out for You ... the entire thread is the supposition - supposedly there's a virus and supposedly You have a cure , than You supposedly would want to have a cure ? Well only moron would say no ! I'll leave it at that ;)

I even have a counter - question : Would You have pants at the Buckingham Palace (or whatever it's called - irrelevant) ? :

I get the flu shot every year, am up to date on all my boosters, and recently paid out of pocket for the HPV vaccine. I won't be getting vaccinated for covid.
Considering that Calgary is one of the 'hot spots' for Covid in Alberta, why not? Honestly, every time I hear that the building manager here is going to Calgary to socialize with his family I'm tempted to tell him to isolate for 14 days before returning to work.

That said... the poll needs an option for "it depends on how safe it is."

I have no problem with injections in general, as I have to take one every day. The only thing that would make me hesitate about a Covid vaccine is whether there might be complications or side effects due to the meds I take or any of my chronic conditions. If it's safe for those, then yes, I'd get vaccinated.

Of course it also depends on availability. You have to make an appointment for a flu shot now, where before you could just walk into any pharmacy and ask for it. And given the way the Alberta government has dealt with this pandemic already (kids crammed into classrooms of 30 students, making social distancing impossible, and masks for low-income people available at fast-food restaurants that can't be accessed unless you drive), I have zero trust that the United Corruption Party will have any kind of sensible plan to make this available to everyone.

Sherlock, or not , don't be stupid , get the shot ;)

It looks like we might even a few choices among vaccines to get. I will certainly get one.

If Your government is not actively trying to kill You , You might be sure it's no cyanide :D

The vaccination for covid is likely to turn into a total disaster.

What I'm seeing here in Europe are governments promising to start vaccination in January before they even know if the vaccines will be available. Governments only starting to talk about who should be prioritized, without clear data on whether the vaccines (which vaccines?) will (a) prevent infection, or (b) make infected people asymptomatic carries and transmitters, or (c) suppress the disease enough that infected people won't transmit.
It is absolutely essential to know exactly the results of a vaccine before choosing which cohorts are to receive it first. If the effect is mostly (b) then everyone vulnerable (the elderly) must be immunized before anyone else is. Because otherwise we'll soon be flooded with spreaders who no longer care about quarantines - and governments never cared and had to be compelled by public pressure to do them.

The haste and irresponsibility of this run for the vaccine is crazy. the tests that were made of the "likely candidates" here have not even bothered to correctly evaluate this critical aspect of the effect of the vaccine. Probably because the produces won't what to draw attention to the (apparent by now) fact that they do not work for (a). Authorities that had an obligation to sort that out are also deliberately ignoring it in the rush to the vaccine so that they can "reopen the economy". As it even with a vaccine in production that could be done in a couple of months.

Considering that Calgary is one of the 'hot spots' for Covid in Alberta, why not?

Novel types of vaccine that hasn't had long term testing, and adverse outcomes for covid given my age are about on par with seasonal influenza. I'd probably get it in a few years if covid's still a thing then.

Greece pre-ordered 25 million shots of one vaccine.
Which is rather curious, given even with two shots/person (which afaik is how it should work), you still have 25-(11 times 2) = 3 million left.
Some doctor who represents the gov said that the remaining ones will go to poor countries. Nice to see we have so much money we can help others. But another possibility is that the remaining 3 million are for illegals :eek:

As for taking the shot: I think you should, if you have symptoms or are in a risk group. While I know that some are said to have the virus without showing symptoms, I am not particularly keen on taking it before it is shown to work as planned/have no serious side-effect.

I also don't agree with this being mandatory. The mandatory vaccines here are those which have been in use since forever. This isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I also don't agree with this being mandatory. The mandatory vaccines here are those which have been in use since forever. This isn't one of them.

It is how we've defeated smallpox :rolleyes:

IMHO the only means to ensure that everyone gets it is to forbid it ;)

Probably wouldn't get it, definitely not right away anyway, until it was necessary to travel, I'd wait a while and see how everything plays out.

Probably wouldn't get it, definitely not right away anyway, until it was necessary to travel, I'd wait a while and see how everything plays out.
I just forgot to check out the winning lottery numbers,but humanity is saved..... oh well I can live with that ;)

I don't intend to get vaccinated as soon as possible. For one thing as others have said best to see how effective it is, and what adverse effects there might be, before jumping in. I'm in an age cohort that isn't particularly vulnerable to covid on average so I doubt I'll be a very high priority for a dose of vaccine either.

Top Bottom