Any good concept art (even in other games' gfx) of ancient or medieval mines?

Kyriakos

Creator
Such is surprisingly difficult to find. Or is hopelessly nondescript (AOEII).
I did unearth (sorry) some decent ones for medieval mines, but they have overly elaborate wheels and cogs which look like trash in civ scale (trying to make a new mine graphic).
So, do you have any concept art or other pics I can model it after? :)

The trouble is that much of ancient and medieval mining involved digging pits or trenches, sluicing, or flooding. None of which makes a great mine graphic. The standard Civ graphic is more of a 19th century style with the cart and the mine entrance. And we're stuck with one graphic for all eras. I liked your water wheel that you did at one point. Like you said, the best thing would probably involve wooden wheels but are tough to do at civ scale. So, I am afraid I am of no use to you in the area at all. :undecide: But maybe somebody will have some useful brainstorms.

Guess you could simply use a Graphic Symbol, such as a Pick axe, same as the Airport and Harbor use Graphic Symbols or Just a Raised letter M :dunno:
I agree that anything used needs to be a simple representation that is basically known by everyone and that will show at Civ Scale on the map.

...it would be nice to have the Graphics change with the Eras but keeping it simple and universal is the best solution.

Well now I will have to prove you wrong, it is a matter of honor :D
Actually, I am playing "Devil's Advocate" but remember that the Mine Graphics need to allow tile space for Good Graphic Resources :yup:

A first sketch, and the lighting will be an issue - hopefully it won't take years to fix or I can use some older Blender save.

1705696384358.png

It's doable. The lighting is what will take some time.
Yes, that and textures make a Great difference :yup:

Also the end result will be affected by what ever palette people use for their TerrainBuildings.pcx file... of course you cannot be responsible for that.
Besides they can always make a new palette.

At this scale, textures aren't really going to show ^^

The wheel was the only actually "modeled" bit (the rest wouldn't make sense to care about in such a scale), and I think I can make it look non-terrible with some meandering water.

1705769261406.png

Last edited:
1705771794205.png

More like the nature of having a primitive 256 color limitation :)
It means that now the water will have to be severely reduced palette-wise, to allow for actual gradients on the roofs.

Last edited:
Ok, but it means you have to do more work to still get either a worse result or one very particular to this game - or both.
I also think that a second (much smaller) building would help, since otherwise it will look really boring if it fills the map.
And the west/northwest water will be trimmed.
@Quintillus would help if the new game reaches the stage of using animated terrain ^^

Build city walls first.jpg

Build city walls first - especially in your ancient size two and three cities - noble leader! :D

... and one thought: Masses of water mills without any neighbouring water looks somewhat strange.

Top Bottom