Any other games even close to Civ4 for you?

I like to play God with SimCity4 and I love traveling the world with MS Flight Simulator X with the REX addon. I'm a train lover and play Open BVE too.
I'm also a FPS player so I like Unreal Tournament and Call of Duty but my internet connectivity has been very slow the past year.

I only recently been turned out to addiction discovered Civilization series and it is my first ever strategy game.

GalCiv II Dark Avatar.

I'd play Master of Orion II if I could get DOSBOX to install properly.

I get distracted from Civ when a new Elder Scrolls or GTA game comes out, but they don't have the replay value like that of Civ IV.

Since I got Civ4, I haven't played any other game. How much time have it passed since then....5-6 years. And I think I can easily get away with no other games for another 5 years.

I'm glad to be mentally built that way, making a clear contrast to all those super consumers...who are never satisfied of what they got.

1) Mostly Civ4 lately. I have a LAN here that I play 2 humans vs many AIs.
2) Before that, Empire Earth Art of Conquest, until the mp servers went down.
3) Starcraft 1 Brood War was playable on a LAN.
4) Masters of Orion 2. Huge fan for over a decade. Great race & ship customization. No lines in space. The only thing that stops me from playing it now is remembering old DosBox commands. I'd prefer to run it in it's native environment.
I had it on a K62-350 Win 98 machine years ago. I'd be lucky to find that again. I won't find a DOS machine.
5) Going way back, Ultima 4 was awesome when it first came out. Much of my off-time as a senior in High School was spent playing that game. I liked the ability to just roam anywhere you wanted to and not have to stay on specific path like some newer game have done, Dungeon Seige for instance.

Gal Civ II, and Sins of a Solar Empire. Both are very similar, but they're a nice diversion form Civ now and then.

I just started CivIV after playing CivIII from 2004-2011.

From 1998-2004 I played mostly Panzer General (I&II), Railroad Tycoon (I), Colonization (I), and Warcraft.

Before 1998 it was CivI; GDW's 'Tom Clancy's SSN', along with a few Avalon Hill hex-map board games (ie.Battle of the Bulge; Breakout:Normandy; D-Day; Gettysburg).

Edit: but to answer the question, no, nothing beats Civ for the genre, challenge, and playability

X3 I go back to as much as Civ series (BTS, Colonization, and SMAX, Civ III retired finally I think). I have pulled out of those tracks in a lot of directions but always temporarily...FP games like Elder Scrolls series heavily modified (Morrowind vanilla, but Oblivion w/o mods is a bad joke), Mafia, HALO, Half Life...TW series and Civ knock-offs like GalCiv...Madden and Golf for sports games...oh...and I go on Mount & Blade binges fairly regularly, usually if my girlfriend goes out of town.

Although I haven't played it in YEARS, I LOVED Uncharted Waters! Anyone remember that game? I don't even have the console that runs it anymore, lol. It was buggy and glitchy, but I loved the algorithim that ran that game. Spent many hours on it.

Other than UW, the only other games I devoted even a remotely close amount of time (compared to CIV4) were Alpha Centauri and WoW...

- Age of Empires series I'm a fan of the series since 1999 and even now I occasionally play LAN games of AOE III with friends.
- Heroes of Might and Magic III Really good game. Nothing before or after it in the series is better than HoMM 3.
- Minecraft

That's pretty much it. Seems like I have really similar taste in games with RFCfanatic. I only replace HoMM 3 with Caesar 3! Its old but still good city build/strategy-game. I should try HoMM someday.

Since I got Civ4, I haven't played any other game. How much time have it passed since then....5-6 years. And I think I can easily get away with no other games for another 5 years.

I'm glad to be mentally built that way, making a clear contrast to all those super consumers...who are never satisfied of what they got.

That's one way of looking at it. It could also be called a slight addiction :p.

Starcraft forever!
Jin Air OSL 2011. Grand Finals. Final Round.
Jangbi finally is winning. Audience goes wild with applauds or weeps from emotion!
Go, go, Jangbi, you can beat the nasty Terran! :lol:

Empire and Napoleon Total war, every once in a while I'll lose a 50% battle in civ4 and think, "If I could've just directed the troops myself..."

Since this thread has popped up, a few new games have been added.

Most notably, there's Neverwinter Nights, a game I hated when it was first released but that I've really come to enjoy.

As a single-player RPG it's incredibly disappointing, but as a multiplayer RPG it has yet to be surpassed.

What it took for me to enjoy it was a paradigm shift: Realizing that the game is not a CRPG in the traditional sense, but rather that it's a D&D emulator for PC. The adventures released with it are not "the game," they are sample campaigns provided by the devs.

But all in all, I think NWN was meant to be played with multiple other people, one of whom is a DM.

The other big game is... Civ V. Yes, I know. No, I haven't gone and switched sides. However, I find that G&K, while still not nearly as enjoyable as Civ IV, is nonetheless a very fun game. I would rank it at around the same level as Civ III - not the best the series has to offer, but still worth playing.

I've also been getting big into oldschool RPGs. Picked up Ultima VII not too long ago, and I've realized that as far as first-person party-based RPGs go, Might and Magic IV+V are king. Man those games are fun.

I've also got a ton of games that I picked up on GOG sales but have yet to install and start playing. Panzer General II and Imperialism II are the two big ones right now.

Played most of the games worth playing since 1998 until last year when I stopped but these are my favourite games:

Arcanum (best game ever if you like atmosphere, story, lot of hidden content, excellent string soundtrack, actions having impact on world, excellent dialogues, and many more story driven features. Also demands patience with bugs and not so great graphics (I don't care much for that, but you should know that)).

Morrowind and TES in general

Planescape Torment Played it through despite 500 crashes (literally). Almost best game ever, can't wait for Numenera

Fallout 1 and 2, New Vegas is not so bad too.

HoMM 3

Counter Strike

BG 2

I've said it before, IV BTS and it's mods are the greatest game of any kind ever... that includes board games, billiards, bowling, darts, console games, etc.

As for other computer games-

Right now I'm playing Sid's Pirates! I play it every June.

I've been known to return to Civ III & Warlords scenarios, Rome Total War, and I'll probably try Civ V Complete when they decide it is complete, and operates steam -free, more out of curiosity than a wish to play it again.

Top Bottom