Any threads on how to even play this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons

Needing fed again!
I mean Civ5 has changed out of all recognition but so has BNW even ... every patch that comes out totally changes the balance and the way you can play. I don't even know how to begin playing a game of BNW any more and I've been playing Civ5 since it came out. :( Any ideas on how to even start? Are there any threads with a strategy that hasn't become totally invalidated by the constant barrage of changes to gameplay?

I find it's a good thing :D

You sure you want to just follow a strategy? How about you tell us where you're going wrong, and we try and give you hints for those areas? Just copying a strategy sounds so boring!

Just turn on all advisers in game options and start on Prince or lower. You'll gradually gather a lot of information, create your own tactics and move up in difficulties. :)

Of course, you can always visit Strategy & Tips subforum.

Lastly, watch someone skilled like MadDjinn play the game, you can learn a lot from him. ;) I'd start with this video where he goes over basics needed for a good start.

Go onto youtube and watch one of the "let's play civ BNW" videos from start to finish to see how other people play.

There's pleny of information on these forums about how to play, but for some reason you just don't see to want to adopt any of it.

Watching other people play games is kinda... well, how do I put it? It completely misses the point. Most of the fun comes from figuring out new ways to play and combat various issues.

Just play the game and pay attention. Read civilopedia entries, study info screens, look around map, read hints and familiarize yourself with possibilities the game offers. Only then, if you'll find yourself confused, come here and discuss with us various strategies and tactics.

When rules of the game change, especially when new elements are added to it, it's only natural that old strategies will not work. I used to play wide religious games in GnK (on immortal) and had to stoop down to king to survive my first full BNW game in order to familiarize myself with the new elements.

Where is the fun in being told exactly how to play?

lol okay. So it's pretty much got to the stage where you play it the 'correct' way or else you lose. No fun :(

The difficulty on this game has gotten absolutely brutal! What have they done to it?

lol okay. So it's pretty much got to the stage where you play it the 'correct' way or else you lose. No fun :(

The difficulty on this game has gotten absolutely brutal! What have they done to it?

It's got to the point now where I can't tell if you are trolling or not.

Why don't you do yourself a favour and uninstall like you threatened to previously. Personally, I feel you are beyond help, because all you really seem to want to do is complain about the game not being the way you want it to be.

Good luck,

Moderator Action: Please don't accuse others of trolling, or imply that you think they might be doing so. It's only likely to produce a negative response, so amounts to trolling in itself.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It's got to the point now where I can't tell if you are trolling or not.

Why don't you do yourself a favour and uninstall like you threatened to previously. Personally, I feel you are beyond help, because all you really seem to want to do is complain about the game not being the way you want it to be.

Good luck,

Yes, the mild approach is quite deceptive. But asking whether there are any strategy threads on CFC pretty much gives away the game.

For those unaware, the OP started a near-identical thread recently, received pages of advice, and returned periodically only to reiterate his view that the game has been changed by elitists so that just a few rigid strategies will succeed, even on Prince.

Moderator Action: As above, please don't accuse another member of trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

^
This.
Scott will be told his behavior is not acceptable, but this isn't the first thread of this kind that the op has started. I myself wrote several posts helping him out, and here he is again pretending he has no idea what to do to improve his game, when MANY people have tried to help him out.

Moderator Action: As above, please don't accuse other members of trolling.

Most of the strategies for BNW are still valid after the patch. It was mainly domination that got upset, the change to diplo has almost no effect of strat.

At King or below, you can use almost any strat to win. There is no "correct" one, the only difference is turns to victory. You can safely do things like mix tradition, libertry, and honor, Build every wonder in the game, etc and still win the game. When you move up to Emperor it becomes increasingly more important that every move is consistent with the rest of the game and you have to make more effort to manually control every aspect of the game.

We have a very large number of players here who chose to play on prince/king because the game is a ton of fun at that level and they can do odd things. If you want to play on high difficulty, then I suggest watching some Deity level LP's or doing some of the Game of the Month games and compare strats for the various games. I should mention that you should not do what the top players do in those games when they play at low level. There are people that win Deity all the time, and will just crank the game at prince and do things only a Deity player can get away with

I was going to say something but the three guys above pretty much said it for me.

Edit: Dang it! Someone slipped in between us.

Well, Civilization like any other 4x game, has the core element that you need to focus on primarily, and that is your population growth. Everything is a derivative of population size, and especially science. And since science beats everything.

When i first started playing Endless Space after playing Civ, i figured from basically the first game that all i needed to do well is have high pop planets.

Moderator Action: The OP provides little but a very general complaint to discuss, and it's clear that the discussion isn't going anywhere productive.

@Horizons - please put more effort into thread OPs in future, such that there is a more specific problem that can be discussed. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom