Any true chili-heads here?

Are you a chili-head?

• Total voters

Dragonlord

Fantasy Warlord
Inspired by Cheezy's 'Indian riot control' thread, I'm curious how many true chili-heads are here on CFC, beside me, that is..:D

By 'chili-head' I mean someone who regularly eats hot chilies, takes a certain interest in chilies and has tried different varieties.

I eat chilies with my food just about every day, with my preference being dried chilies freshly ground over the food with a mill. My favorite variety are Habanero chilies.

I tried searching, but couldn't find any reasonably recent thread, so here goes....

Scotch Bonnet for the win!!!

I make chili all the time and home. It's one of my staple meals. But I don't do really spicy food, so beyond some basic seasoning, my chili is nothing to go flaming about. Just good, hearty food.

Nope I didn't know that ;) Thanks for the tip.

These days I stick to chilli powder though, tonight is the left overs from my famous veggie chilli (with lentils) for tea. Just as good as the con carne variety.

The longer I stay in Japan the weaker I get as far as hot foods go. This is really bad news for me, because my favourite food in the whole entire world is Thai curry and little by little I'm losing my ability to enjoy it.

Nope I didn't know that ;) Thanks for the tip.

These days I stick to chilli powder though, tonight is the left overs from my famous veggie chilli (with lentils) for tea. Just as good as the con carne variety.

Before I spread wrong infos, I have to correct myself: Habanero and Scotch Bonnet are very, very similar, but botanically not identical. I doubt you could tell the difference from the taste, though.

Here's a quote from wiki:

"The Scotch bonnet is often compared to the habanero since they are two varieties of the same species but have different pod types. Both the Scotch bonnet and the habanero have the characteristic thin, waxy flesh. They have a similar heat level and flavor."

Sorry, my bad :D

I love spicy food, and I eat chillies in pasta, rice, soups, chilli con carne, on pizzas etc. But I'm no chillihead. Haven't made an attempt to try different varieties or anything like that.

Jalapeños on a pizza will improve it.

As a clarification: I mean chili, as in the seasoning and/or the vegetable. Hot,hot,hot!

There is also the dish chilli (spelled with two l's), as in chilli con carne. It's a bit confusing, as chili (one 'l') is of course one of the staple ingredients of a chilli (2 'l') dish.
Some chilli recipes (meaning the dish, here, again) are very very hot, some are quite mild

Habaneros are as hot as I will venture, and only with a trusty glass of milk nearby. I mostly prefer the tasty area of pepperchinis and jalapenos. My dad grew some kind of Ecuadorian pepper this year for the first time; I've never tried it as they aren't ripe yet, but they sound exotic, and therefore hot.

I'm told (and very vaguely remember) biting a cayenne in half when I was two or so and hollering in an appropriately loud way. You know, gotta do everything dad does and whatnot.

Habaneros are as hot as I will venture, and only with a trusty glass of milk nearby.

Milk is only a little better than water for dousing the flames. If you really need help, bread is better, and the very best 'quick fix' is sugar ... put some sugar on your palm and lick it.

Capsaicin is not water-soluble, but soluble in fat (which is why milk helps a little by washing some of the stuff out of your mouth). Carbohydrates however directly affect the maltreated heat sensors in your mouth.
Heat sensors? :confused: you ask... that's right, capsaicin does NOT affect the taste buds but the heat sensors in the mouth - it literally feels hot. That's why you can eat chilies with food and still taste it... until you overdo it and the whole mouth gets numb, that is.. :D

I eat hot food all the time, although I haven't been using peppers lately. These days I'm using Indonesian sambal oelek, essentially a paste of crushed chillies (presumably bird eye?).
When I used peppers regularly they were bird eye, green finger chillies, and less frequently jalapeno...I've never seen scotch bonnet peppers on sale in Ireland but I did use them on occasion in the UK, many years ago.

Encona hot pepper sauce is made from scotch bonnet peppers.

I'm a big fan of chilies, however I don't like the taste of the habernero/scotch bonnet (I thought they were the same too!) so I just use more of the weaker kind. I even like the very weak varities raw on a salad. (my general rule - the bigger the chili, the weaker it is)

As a clarification: I mean chili, as in the seasoning and/or the vegetable. Hot,hot,hot!

There is also the dish chilli (spelled with two l's), as in chilli con carne. It's a bit confusing, as chili (one 'l') is of course one of the staple ingredients of a chilli (2 'l') dish.
Some chilli recipes (meaning the dish, here, again) are very very hot, some are quite mild

According to dictionary.com, and what I think is the online OED (not sure about this one), chili and chilli are two different spellings of the same thing, which can be either the vegetable or the dish. The possible OED suggests that chili is the US version of chilli, and CFC spellcheck isn't recognising 'chili' but it is recognising 'chilli' and 'recognising' so I must be using the British English setting.

I was referring to the vegetable, despite using two ells.

Top Bottom