Any way to stop forest development through XML??

maggotman

And Then Bender Ran.
Hello All

Stupid question, but question none the less. Designing a map in which I do not want forests destroyed or developed in any way. Only way I can figure it out is in the Builds.xml - I changed the tech to future_tech on anything that would destroy a forest - like building a farm, lumbermill, etc. Of course, this means some terrain improvements are now not available on any type of terrain until the future_tech has been discovered.

Anybody have a more efficient way to do this? Really all I want is for any terrain with a forest to remain undeveloped by the AI.

Forgive the post if it's in the wrong area.

Love this game.

Hello All

Stupid question, but question none the less. Designing a map in which I do not want forests destroyed or developed in any way. Only way I can figure it out is in the Builds.xml - I changed the tech to future_tech on anything that would destroy a forest - like building a farm, lumbermill, etc. Of course, this means some terrain improvements are now not available on any type of terrain until the future_tech has been discovered.

Anybody have a more efficient way to do this? Really all I want is for any terrain with a forest to remain undeveloped by the AI.

Forgive the post if it's in the wrong area.

Love this game.

I'm no expert, but have you tried just moving the chop forest/chop jungle actions to future tech, and leaving the improvements alone?

That's a good idea, but what happens when you try to improve a tile when there is forest on it already (like a hill with a forest, and you try to mine the hill)? It should leave it alone, right? Does mining in this situation automatically chop the forest, or does it go to see if I can chop the forest first and then mine the hill?

Any idea which XML would have forest/jungle chop actions?

Does mining in this situation automatically chop the forest, or does it go to see if I can chop the forest first and then mine the hill?

Any idea which XML would have forest/jungle chop actions?

It checks them as two separate actions. Chop, then make mine. You'll see this if you research Mining before Bronze Working; it won't let you place a mine on a forested hill in that case.

Inside Builds.xml should be a "Remove Forest" action, alongside "Remove Marsh", "Remove Jungle" and "Scrub Fallout". So just delete that action, or set its prereq to FutureTech.

So if you actualy delete the entire action .... that's a good idea. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Ok - deleting the action does nothing. It still allows for the removal of the forest. I found through the units.xml as well that worker actions include remove forest, but even if that action is removed it still allows the forest removal.

It's stupid I know.

However, aside from setting a tech it would seem there is no other way to do it. I find that hard to believe. Even with the removals the AI can still farm forested land, which will remove the forest.

Any other ideas out there?

According to the XML, you're only allowed to build lumbermills on forests; no TPs.. So it looks like that part of the game is bugged, or using another definition then what is in the Terrain XMLs.

Ok - I finally figured out a viable solution. Through the terrain\CIV5features.xml I added the tag NOIMPROVEMENTS. Awesome - works like a charm. I also removed the chop forest action from the Builds.xml (thanks Spatz for that one).

So, Voila! I have a mod where Forests cannot be removed or developed.

Top Bottom