Anyone else have a problem with Ethiopia's color?

Koolhan

Chieftain
The problem isn't with the color, per se, because I love me some dark red, but it looks so similar to the barbarian color scheme(almost exactly, maybe the barbarians look a little more "dull"). I find myself doing double takes at my borders, especially early game when barbarians can really spoil the party.

Anyone else have that problem? I doubt it will get addressed, and it's not major, just bugs me every once in a while.

Yep, Ethiopia and also Korea are very similar to barb colors. Often happens that I see a unit that I think is a barb, only to realize a moment later its one of those civs :)

Haha! Have the same. Many times false alarm.

Just as bad is sharing a border as byzantium with france (or visa versa), or England with Denmark or Genghis Khan.

As for units on the border, at least if its barbarians you'll get a wanring they are on your border and workers will stop there work if they come close.

Yep, Ethiopia and also Korea are very similar to barb colors. Often happens that I see a unit that I think is a barb, only to realize a moment later its one of those civs :)

Same here. My son and I both have this concern.

Also I had a game with Bismark, Attila and dido as my neighbours, and all of these three civs have similar white- ish color.

Now that you've mentioned it... yes.

The problem isn't with the color, per se, because I love me some dark red, but it looks so similar to the barbarian color scheme(almost exactly, maybe the barbarians look a little more "dull"). I find myself doing double takes at my borders, especially early game when barbarians can really spoil the party.

Anyone else have that problem? I doubt it will get addressed, and it's not major, just bugs me every once in a while.

Yes, indeed . Ethiopia's color is definitely too close to the barbs . It has happened to me a few times where I had mistaken a barb warrior for Ethiopia's troop only to have it kidnap a worker or destroy one of my luxury resource on the next turn . Arrggg!

Yes. I wish they could lighten it up at least a little, criminy. It is almost pure black, you have to strain to see the reddish tint. On the map, their cities look just like a CS, usually. Also, if you are playing Ethiopia, a lot of times a barb can wander near your civ area to pillage stuff, and you can completely miss him because he looks like one of your archers or warriors! Had this "oh sheet" moment a few times. Gonna hafta start implementing a 'Halt, what's the secret password?' program, with my sentries...

I don't have any problem with it but I can understand why others do

--
Was randomly thinking, how would any of the Civ colors look like to a Tetrachromat or flags of the world to them

Yes very annoying and like others mention other Civs are too close in color to each other.

They should have made it so the Civs would be "color neutral".
Colors would be picked at game start from a list of very distinguishable colors (either randomly or player's choice).

India and Incans, they are just the same colors reversed. It gets muddied in combat staring at 20+ units on your screen.

They should just add something like a pattern, dots or stripes, to Barbarians. Korea and Ethiopia do cause some problems. I tried to attack myself with cities several times.

India and Incans, they are just the same colors reversed. It gets muddied in combat staring at 20+ units on your screen.

They should just add something like a pattern, dots or stripes, to Barbarians. Korea and Ethiopia do cause some problems. I tried to attack myself with cities several times.

But.... they don't have the same colors. India is green and orangeish yellow - Inca is Yellow and turquoise.

I hadn't noticed before, but in a game today I have the Huns and the Danish in close proximity. I lost a settler to that color scheme confusion with a Danish scout.

If you have red/green colorblindness, that could be why you are seeing similarities. This was discussed in an old thread.

Top Bottom