• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Anyone else have to uninstall the patch?

Isetemkheb

Chieftain
Unpatched Civ 4 runs quite well on my computer, the only real problem I have is occasional CTD's while playing huge maps. (Thank Firaxis for autosave :) )

After I installed the patch I didn't notice any difference, but once I got to the 1600's (huge map) my framerate slowed way down, movement became choppy.
Sometimes when I was contacted by another civ, the box where the leaderhead would be was completely black. The game would lock up and crash every turn or two. It got to the point it was totally unplayable.

I tried updating my drivers, changing my ingame settings to low, turning off 'show enemy moves' and 'show friendly moves'. I also held the shift key while loading to clear out the cache. Nothing helped.

I finally had to uninstall the patch and just play the unpatched version of Civ 4.
While it still crashes occasionally I can still play to 2050 if necessary with no slowdown or lockups.

I'll just have to wait until a future patch which will hopefully address this problem. Until then I will happily continue to play Civ 4 since I think this is a great game. It's the best civ yet. :goodjob:

Similar problems here. I'm in a bunch of SG's and had to patch up because eveybody else did. My game ran fine originally. Some of the wonder movies were a bit choppy (probably about 1/3 of them and seemed to be different ones each time), and sometimes in later game when I had had the game running for several hours, the city screens would show white squiggles instead of text (almost like barcodes). Other than that though, no real problems.

I patched up and now my game is crashing every time Notre Dame completes. I don't know yet if it's ALL wonders, or just that one.

Either way, I'm unipressed that the patch gave me problems when I had none.

Top Bottom