Anyone other than Brazil for culture victory?

RedRalph

Deity
At first glance it seems one would be insane to pick anyone but Brazil for a culture victory. Am I wrong? If so, what strategies would one use for another civ?

on easier difficulties like prince, i think the fastest culture victory can be achieved with Byzantium, grab 3 buildings beliefs and get piety reformation sacred sites. Every city will bring you +6 tourism. Then expand expand expand.

Prince is indeed the level I play on. What do you mean 'grab three buildings beliefs'?

If you're playing on Prince, France is very good for CV since you would most likely take all of the cultural wonders. Chateaus also help in end-game tourism production. Anyway, Brazil is really boring to play for the early game since all of the tiles you would have would be jungles which would mean low production.

I mean you found a religion with byzantium, and take as follower beliefs the following buildings: Pagodas, Mosques and Cathedrals. (you use your bonus blief for yet another building). Then when you go piety social policy trees, you get a reformation belief: take sacred sites, this way you get +2 tourism.

this can give you tourism much earlier than if you go by standard route spamming great writers. Your only problem on prince with this strategy is that you need to go immediately piety, and that hurts your capital growth horribly

At first glance it seems one would be insane to pick anyone but Brazil for a culture victory. Am I wrong? If so, what strategies would one use for another civ?

Brazil is fun to play but is quite difficult on the higher levels because of the jungle bias which is horrible for starting. The trick is to get Chichen Itza which is very hard on higher difficulties but is achievable if you can get Great Library.
Another civ to try might be Egypt, they're worth a try if your science is good enough to allow you to get plenty of cultural wonders.

try sweeden

they get great person bonus just like brazil except better in many ways. they get bonus to all great people instead f just artists. they have potential to get bigger bonus. I play prince and its easy to get at least 3-4 friends. 5-6 is not impossible.

they don't get bonus to tourism but they extra great scientist/generals etc so you get something to play around with.

Brazil probably has the biggest boost overall for going for cultural victory, but it's far from the only civ with cultural advantages.
And in fact generic civ can win cultural victory as well.

Personally, I play the flexible approach for most civs (standard science first) and it's not until late Industrial / early Modern era that I decide which to go after based on how much culture I see the AIs have racked up and the tourism points I have.

Polynesia isn't to bad, all those Moai will give you huge amount of tourism after you have build Hotels and twice that then you have airports, I won with a 1000 tuirist output per turn (with the olympic game x2 modifier but without the Internet).

The best Moai will give you 6 turism with both Hotel and airport, how much can you get for a Chateau?

on easier difficulties like prince, i think the fastest culture victory can be achieved with Byzantium, grab 3 buildings beliefs and get piety reformation sacred sites. Every city will bring you +6 tourism. Then expand expand expand.

Yeah, I did this on King with them at it was shockingly easy to win. I mean, it still took some late game effort (I think I had to send some Musicians out), but it was still pretty easy. Surprisingly enough, Cathedrals felt the least useful. That slot ended up being fairly redundant.

On Emperor I usually win by culture using Egypt as I can usually grab most of the cultural wonders. Going wide where you can have at least a potential +4 theming bonus from museums will offset some of the lost tourism if you are beaten to those wonders.(I saw Poland do just that by conquest).

Besides Brazil, civs with good cultural boosts are Egypt (faster cultural wonder construction), France (chateaus), Siam (Wats and culture boost via CS alliances). But frankly, any civ that boosts your science is a good one to win a cultural victory with, as the speed with which you can beat the AI to the key cultural wonders and stay on par with them militarily, is the key to winning. I've won cultural vics with most of the civs in the game, so it really isn't necessary to focus on just one or two special ones to manage it.

For me, Sweden is quite good for CV. also, Egypt is good too, you can spam cultural wonders.

Yeah, I did this on King with them at it was shockingly easy to win. I mean, it still took some late game effort (I think I had to send some Musicians out), but it was still pretty easy. Surprisingly enough, Cathedrals felt the least useful. That slot ended up being fairly redundant.

Why not simply use monasteries belief instead of cathedral? Monasteries cost less faith & so you can spam them much more quickly.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

How many cities is optimum for CV? I have always tried to stick to 4 or 5 and play peacefully, but as it's obviously not working I must be doing something wrong.

Any other general tips for this victory? Could stroll to it before BNW, but the new system, while much more fun, is pretty baffling to me.

Why not simply use monasteries belief instead of cathedral? Monasteries cost less faith & so you can spam them much more quickly.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably consider it - certainly if I have the right luxuries to support it. But I doubt I'll use the same strategy again, so someone else will have to try it.

I've had good cultural victories with France, Poland and Sweden as well as Brazil. I always prioritize getting a religion when going for cultural victory. I usually play tall, with 4 cities throughout most of the game sometimes adding a few more toward the end to act as trade hubs and/or to house great works. I make sure one of my first 3 cities is a major food city, and put all my guilds there. Generally another will specialize in military/production and one (hopefully with a mountain) will specialize in science. In the late game, pay alot of attention to the modifiers you get with other civs to spread your culture--definitely get open borders, try to share religion, and try to go with the most popular ideology if you can.

I want to try Polynesia and Egypt for cultural victories as well--both should have alot of potential.

Currently playing on Emperor, standard maps, usually continents.

They do?

I thought all 4 buildings (cathedral/pagoda/mosque/monastery) and 2 units (missionary/inquisitor) had the same base faith price?

Yes, I believe monastery cost 150 faith, while the others cost 200.

The thing is, with this strategy, you will most likely end up with too much faith even with all 3 buildings in all of your cities. And then, monastery doesn't give happiness (unlike the other 3) and with this ICS strategy, happiness will be an issue.

I just won a CV with Aztecs the other day on King. I've also a CV with the Shoshone on Emperor. They are actually really great at CVs, I've found. Of course, the already-mentioned France and Sweden are also pretty good. Probably possible with Ethiopia as well, but I've never tried it with them. I wouldn't count out Greece and the Maya for CVs either.

Top Bottom