Anyone seen any interesting Emergency yet?

bonafide11

Worker
Every game that I've had an emergency happen has been about taking back a city from an aggressor, but they have always been incredibly boring. Usually only one Civ even participates in it, and they don't do much to try to win it. I thought there were supposed to be other types of emergencies, but I've yet to see them.

Anyone had anything fun happen with them yet? It's a pretty boring feature in my experiences.

Not really. If anything, I think the participation time is way too long. On epic it's 40 turns. That's an awfully long time to defend a city that will never be attacked.

I’ve had a religious one after I flipped a holy city. It was easy pickings since only the civ of that holy city joined, and I had most of his cities join my religion already, so a few religious battles and the it was just a matter of waiting.

I think the emergencies are too long sometimes too.

Wait, emergencies scale with game speed?

That's wierd to me -- these are goals primarily affected by combat and loyalty mechanics, which don't scale. I guess you can also build new units for them. Hmm.

They're 20 turns with online speed, which feels pretty good in my experience, although the excitingness of the individual emergencies varies, I've had a few down to the wire moments with them.

I got the "Drama Queen" achievement a little while ago for liberating Kumasi from the Mapuche three times. I got about 10k gold each time. Fighting Lautaro while I was in a golden age made the timer come down to the wire twice.

I did get an interesting Betrayal emergency in my Korea game when Russia attacked struggling Norway whom they've had an alliance with previously. I had the option to join, but I declined because I had no way to win it. But I completely forgot about the achievement and had to get that achievement another way since I never saw another Betrayal emergency. Poor Norway couldn't do much that game, everyone was always picking on him.

They either seem feast or famine for me for some reason, like I'll have a game with three and then with none.

I enjoy the few I've gotten that I'm actually willing to participate in - i.e. where the cs is actually located near me and not on the other side of the map.

I second suggestions I've seen of adding some emergencies (or at least the format) that are more like mini 'international projects' from civ 5, where it's more about producing something or the like for the reward.

I have yet to see one. I guess it is because I've been playing two and three player games.

Yeah, emergency is just usually taking back city states, from you or others.
It actually really rewarding FOR you if you're unstoppable force steamrolling the world.

While I've seen Emergencies, both as a participant and as a target, I've yet to see an "interesting" Emergency. At least, none that are more interesting than the others, or unexpected.

The potential threat of being the target of an undesirable Emergency has definitely had an effect on my diplomatic efforts, though. In my Georgia game, everybody in the world hated Wilhelmina (which is unfair, she's such a dear sweet lady). Regardless of that, from the time I met her, I made it a point to send her a trade route if I could, and she had several cities within range that offered up good yields, so that made her happy and I believe her secondary agenda was Citystate Protector which worked out quite well since both Gilgamesh and Harald kept getting the same idea in their head: conquer Buenos Aires, which did not work out well for either of them and worked absolute wonders for me. So Wilhelmina and I became good friends, despite my being friends with several of her enemies. (Who doesn't love Tamar, though, tbh.)
Eventually, however, she asked for an alliance and I had to continually turn her down, because she kept getting involved in wars with my other allies. Normally that wouldn't matter, but the AI is wonky as anything when it comes to maintaining friendships and alliances. They must play coy and turn you down for an indeterminate amount of time before they finally accept, or you just have to let them suggest it. During those lapses in our alliance, I couldn't afford (okay, I'll be honest, I could have easily afforded it, I just didn't want to) to risk the Netherlands and my other allies suddenly going to war and dragging me into it, and prompting a Betrayal Emergency with me as the target simply because I was overly nice.

So that was basically the most interesting experience that I've had centered around Emergencies, without actually triggering an Emergency.

No, and the ones I have seen are early always only taken up by one nation. Just once, I'd be excited to see three or four other civs banding together...

The system definitely needs work.

In one game as Arabia I had Brazil to my South, through a mountain pass. In the middle between us was the City State Palenque. To my North was the Netherlands, hemmed in by a very unfortunate start location that let me block her in and raid her.

The exact turn the Netherlands fell I got an Emergency alert from Palenque. Brazil had conquered it. So, with my troops freshly promoted from the Netherlands war I rolled south and took Palenque from Brazil in something like 8 turns, for a reward of several thousand Gold. Some outrageous amount for the era... maybe around 5000 gold? Anyway, I used the Gold to buy units and Brazil was carnival dust within the next 15 turns. I bet he regrets invading Palenque now. :D

If you play a domination game they just move your focus a bit and let you ignore gold overall. On deity it seems you get a lot of them as all the city states get conquered. If at least two players have delegates there that usually triggers an emergency. Voila, an extra 1000 gold. Or 4000.

Today was the first time an emergency against me was announced (I used A-bomb to destroy Roman aerodrome with 8 air units).
Five civs were invited to divide pool of -3200 gold(!) No wonder nobody participated.
But why that emergency was for 60 turns, not 30 as usual? Is human player discriminated this way?

And, by the way, if it said emergency requirement is to capture "particular cities of player X", is there a way to know what particular cities they meant?

I went my first several games without seeing one and was beginning to think they were a late game only thing. Then one game I heard the emergency sound, which is probably my favorite in the game. City State emergency. Being my first experience with one, I misunderstood the invitation and thought everyone shown was participating, so I did too, but it was just me. The city was on the next land mass over and I didn't have Cartography yet. I could get there since the landmasses were close, but I had to go way up north, then though Korea's territory, then back down south. It would take me about 20 turns to get there and the emergency was 30 turns. I thought it was doable, so I went for it. A few turns later I converted an enemy's holy city and got an emergency declared on me. So I had two going at the same time, one as the sole member and one as the target. I won both and got a lot of gold and a decent religious burst out of it.

Every time since then has been rather humdrum however.

They're usually boring, probably because most of the times it happens there is really no reason behind them, except the money memebers could win.

Emergencies should be something exceptional, only able to happen if there's actually a risk of someone winning the game, or getting way ahead of the others. I honestly don't care if Shaka takes a CS on that far tiny corner of the world. I would care if he has already eliminated one civ and is attacking another one. Or maybe if someone completed 2/3 proyects of spaceship. Or if he/she has by far the largest culture imput of the game. Things like that.

Right now it feels just like an annoyance, that's only worth taking the effort for the money behind it. Money you usually don't even need.

But why that emergency was for 60 turns, not 30 as usual? Is human player discriminated this way
I've seen both 30 and 60 turns on standard speed, both against AI civs. The 30 turn one was liberating a city state. The sixty turn one was capturing the capital of a civ that had betrayed me (former ally had declared war on me).

I just had one trigger against me while I was running the AI+ mod after I snatched a City State. I don't think the mod contributed to the Emergency going off, but it definitely made it hard to hold off the units that came at me. I lost the city in about 5 turns due to proximity to Arabia and India, who both swarmed me.

The system definitely needs work.

Yep. They're definitely too easy (when they're doable). I have never failed an Emergency I've taken so far (I have rejected a few though), making Deity play so much easier.

For example you're on a huge map with plenty of space to settle, in a Golden Age with the dedication allowing you to buy settlers, you have Magnus at level 2, you win a pot of gold = buy a ton of settlers with no pop. penalty and settle all that land. OMG

Top Bottom