Apologies to Civ Community

Gabriel Pyyrhic

Warlord
Howdie All

Have been away from these forums for about 10 months now so probably few will remember me, but for those who do I felt I should offer an apology.

Last year I was undertaking a number of projects Civ related.
In particular an in depth look into the Diplomacy AI (from XML, Logging, LUA etc) and another one that delved into the math behind evaluating a GS plant vs a GS bulb (based on science milestones).

There were about a dozen people or so, who were either contributing directly to my work (via requested tests, anecdotal observations, save files, comments etc) or interested enough to be following the threads or pm'ing me directly.
Although I had done a great deal of work on those two projects I left them probably 40% unfinished.

For this, and the fact that I did not take the time to inform the community of my cessation, I unreservedly apologise.

Although many who read this will likely see this post as meaningless, I felt it was necessary given that I had made promises and failed to keep them.
Although not excusable, I did have a reason behind my absence, although none to excuse the lack of notification.

Unfortunately late last year a close relative of mine, was diagnosed with bone cancer. For those that don't know, this is a terminal disease without any hope for recovery.
Over the past year I have been the primary carer for them and as such many of my extra curricular activities were abandoned.

As a consequence of this, I left these 2 projects, among others, unfinished, and additionally failed to let anyone know that I would not be continuing.

In hindsight I should have just sent a few PM's and let those few who were interested know. Unfortunately I was a little to wrapped up in my own business to display such forethought.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that resulted from my lack of consideration.

I will likely go back and look into the diplomacy side of things, especially given the new BNW update, and possibly the GS math too (Although it will likely have to be reworked as I am assuming some of the metrics I was using are no longer accurate), in the near future. That is all in the future however, as I think I need some time to get reacquainted with an old friend :) [civ5]

The Civ Fanatics community has been good to me. I have found its members helpful, civil and sharing of my passion for the game. I doubt this has changed in the past year.

I look forward to PM'ing some of you in the future, and conversing with the rest.

Once again apologies for my lack of follow through, it was not my intent to make promises and not deliver, I do hope you all understand.

MODS : I trust it is OK to post this in the GENERAL forums.

Happy Civing All.

A thread is unnecessary, now that you are back.

I have never met you but welcome back I guess?

why do you need to apologize for being away on a civ-related absence?

As someone actually enjoys math, I find your GS project to be interesting. If you get back into you can PM me the details and I will help if I have the time and the ability. I would be interested in the results of it in any case.

Thanks Guys

The apology was to those that had helped me and were following what I was doing. I do not remember the handles of all those involved so I figured a quick message to explain the situation.

If no one remember or cares then all I have done is wasted a small amount of forum space. For any that did/do and was wondering what the result was I wanted to explain.

I guess I just think that if you make strong claims (as I was doing at the time) about things then you should follow through them or explain why you didn't.

@Brenador : Thanks for the offer, may well do that in the future. I will likely go back to that project as it was the most complete and simplest to do of the two. Had a fully functional spreadsheet that auto calculated everything and was accurate. I just had to add in a few factors that were as yet unaccounted for. There was not much more involved to finish it, but unfortunately now the game may have changed RE: Science, which means reworking it all. The AI one was the most painful because of all the factors involved and the difficulty of only using hard evidence ie Logs or in game variables to inform myself about it. I will be looking into the AI soon as I like to know how things work when I play. When you look under the hood the AI works much better then people give it credit for.

Anyway. Sorry to clog up the forums.

Top Bottom