April Fool's Day

ShiplordAtvar

Texan by the grace of God
What kind of mayhem do you intend to perpetrate on this day dedicated to pranking people?

Also, what pranks have you noticed others doing?

Me, I'm thinking of doing like the Christopher Walken character in a sketch from a recent (last year or so) episode of SNL where he goes around "pranking" people with a crowbar.

Also, I've already noticed a prank about Google launching their own email service.

None. I was going to come up with a file that I supposedly hacked out of firaxis regarding Civ4, but I forgot to write it up. Was going to start working on this a couple of weeks ago, so I'd have time to polish it up.

Not sure about the google thing. If they didn't have the 1 gig/mailbox storage limit, I might consider it true. Hell, disk space is cheap nowadays, especially with the ad-revenue they'll generate with the mail service.

Barely remembered it was April 1st till I woke up in the morning:p

That said nobody else seem to have noticed it hear.

Pulled this prank when we were in high school, before the days of caller ID:

Call random number.
Man answers. I say: "Good morning. This is the electric company and we're making some repairs on the line near your neighborhood. Can you go out and see if your electric meter's running?"
Man puts me on hold, goes somewhere.
Took quite a while too, must've needed to climb some stairs.
Man comes back. I ask: "Well, is it running?"
Man says: "Yes."
I yell: "THEN WHY DIDN"T YOU CHASE IT?!" and hang up. :D

Originally posted by WickedSmurf
Why is April 1st a day to fool people?

IN 1564, KIng Charles IX decreed that with the adoption of the Gregorian calender, New Year's be moved to January 1. Those who refused or forgot were ridiculed by being sent foolish gifts and invitations to nonexistent parties. The butt of such a prank was known as a "poisson d'avril." Panati further notes that Napoleon I also acquired "poisson d'avril" when he married Marie-Louise of Austria on 1 April 1810. Over a period of nearly two hundred years, the practice of playing such jokes spread from France to England to the US.

By coincidence, those with access to the Clarinet hierarchy may have noted that they carried an article concerning the history of this holiday on, uh, April 1. In it, they cited the research of Steven Fanning, a professor in the history department of the University of Illinois at Chicago.

In it, he was cited as saying that the playing of pranks of people who didn't keep up with the change in the calender pretty much happened in most of Europe. He says that the origins behind the French term is unknown (though they were the first nation to adopt the Gregorian calender).

One other cute point in that article was that April Fool's Day in Scotland is called "April Gawk" and the butt of a prank on that day is called a "gawk." Any comments from the Scottish gallery?

www.urbanlegends.com

On the radio this morning they told that the EU commission had decided that a new All-European national anthem would replace all member countries' own national anthems. It was pretty fun hearing all those persons who called in to tell what a bad idea they thought it was. :lol:

Originally posted by WickedSmurf
@Cilpot
Cheers and thanks! :goodjob:
Imagine, useful Norwegians... ;)

Np, seeing as I am not really norwegian today I decided to be useful ;)

Sigh, I'll probobly just do what I do every April Fools Day, assualt someone with an ice-pick, perhaps commit an armed robbery, and then wind up the day with a little bit of arson.

I heard of a slightly cruel April Fool's prank some years ago.
A woman video taped the Saturday Lotto draw and then bought a ticket which matched the numbers drawn. The following weekend she played the tape at the appropriate time and called her husband in to check the numbers whilst she "was cooking".
Her husband became gradually more excited as the numbers came up. I do not remember how long after she told him "April Fools", however I would imagine it would have taken him a little while to see the funny side.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I just fell for an April Fool's joke!!!! :o

Just 2 days ago I found a Sims website that had some really cool/neat stuff to add to my game. I downloaded a couple things and figured I'd download some of the other stuff later. This morning I go to the site and see a blank white screen with just this message on it:

This site is down for development.

Due to me losing interest in The Sims and now taking up needlecraft instead, this site will be redeveloped with craft forums and links to dress pattern and haberdashery suppliers.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused to the Simming community.

I was so upset that I could no longer download those cool things I had seen, and trying to figure out why anyone would choose needlecraft over the Sims that I was just pissed for hours and couldn't think straight. (I believed it, because over the years I have seen many Sim sites closed for various reasons-mostly because there is just too many other Sim sites).

I finally went back to that link to see if I could contact the person and either tell him how stupid he is or if he could let somebody else host his work (which I haven't been able to find anywhere else). Going back to that link, I scroll all the way down and finally see the message:

"April Fools!, click here to go to my site...".

:mad:

LOL! I have played my sad little jest for the day - I think I will now do it in person and visit the local vicar!

*shakes head*

Curt, you couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electric fooling machine.

Sometimes I wonder if Vbulletin 3.0 is an April Fool's joke. ;)

Forgot it was April Fool's Day as I had bigger fish to fry...

NEXT YEAR!!! :mad:

Originally posted by bobgote
*shakes head*

Curt, you couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electric fooling machine.

Your shoelace is untied - really! :)

April fool's day always meant one thing to me: my birthday is in eight days. I'm not a big prankster and I haven't been caught in a prank on this day since high school.
Who knows? Maybe I'll fall for the stupidest stuff when I go out tonight.

Top Bottom