Arab-Israeli Wars

techumseh

Deity
Now that Burma Campaign is almost ready for external playtesting http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=466895&page=8 ,I'm starting to look ahead to my next project. I've settled on the Yom Kippur War of 1973 between Israel and Egypt/Syria. It should be a lot shorter and simpler to design, but well-balanced and quite tense. At least I hope so.

I've assembled a good map and an Order of Battle. Now I'm looking for information on the equipment and types of units of both sides. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I remember hearing that Syria was still using some MiG-19's in that war, which, outside of the Vietnam War and some African conflicts, I believe hasn't seen much direct action in military conflict. It seems also that this conflict was the inaugural test of action of the Kfir. I'll see if I can dig up any more.

Sorry, mistook first flight of Kfir (June 1973) for introduction into military service. My mistake there. :confused:

I am interested. It just seems a number of main members of this board haven't been on lately that I've seen. A couple questions, though, to get things circulating:
-Will Syria and Egypt be run as two separate civ's or the same civ (I don't think they had any coordinated military command in that war)? Also, will there be a Neutral civ (Lebanon, Jordan, etc.), or will impassable terrain or unattackable city-units, or some such be used for them?
-What will be the length of a turn? Given the length of the conflict, day-long, or even turns that span only several hours each, could be justified.

Im a silent player and im very interested!

Quite the opposite Tech! I'd be very interested in playing a full blown scenario on either the Six Day or Yom Kippur wars (I'd even begun some very preliminary research on the 67 conflict myself as I often do on potential projects that are of interest to me).

Would your scenario cover both the battles along the Suez and Golan Heights and if so would you be using just one map?

Thanks. It's one map, both fronts. The actual war was just over 2 weeks. I'm thinking of 2 turns/day. In any event, it will be a very short scenario - 32 to 48 turns.

I'm thinking several scenarios in one. I'm going to start with a scenario with Israel as the protagonist vs. Egypt and Syria, with Lebanon and Jordan as possible participants. This followed by a 2-player with Egypt and Syria combined, and an Arab protagonist scenario, also with Egypt and Syria as one civ.

I just read under this article that Israeli armoured power was not as valuable as some might imagine in the Yom Kippur war. It says here that 40% of the Israeli southern armoured groups were lost in the first day of the war to Soviet-made anti-tank weapons which the Egyptians had in large supply and used with impunity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sho't

Though not stated in the article (as it's about Israeli tanks), but known from historical context otherwise, it seems Israel shone much more in air power in that conflict.

@Curt
CivCity was a really useful tool. Not having it available makes scenario creation a bit more tricky. Hopefully TNO can find a way to re-engineer it, though he already has a big workload with ToTPP.

@Tech
I'm interested in this project mate. Just been really busy over the past month or so :)

Top Bottom