Archeological Sites

I've had this happen on various types of improvements. Went 50 turns not noticing an antiquity site 2 tiles from my capital hidden under an improvement. :hammer2:

Also, if you are just trying to deny the culture leader in a game access to artifacts you can turn them into landmarks with no diplo penalty to the civ you are digging in. Obviously you don't want to create landmarks in range of their cities, but its a great way to prevent them from stealing artifacts from other civs.

Oh what an awesome tip!! Had not even thought about that!!

I have been able to dig up sites that were just outside another civ's borders. I still was able to get the (Aztec) artifact without any diplo penalty. I just target those in neutral territory further away from my original location. CS lands are also good for theme bonuses.

I've had this happen on various types of improvements. Went 50 turns not noticing an antiquity site 2 tiles from my capital hidden under an improvement. :hammer2:

Also, if you are just trying to deny the culture leader in a game access to artifacts you can turn them into landmarks with no diplo penalty to the civ you are digging in. Obviously you don't want to create landmarks in range of their cities, but its a great way to prevent them from stealing artifacts from other civs.

Why don't you turn on resource icons? Huge icons tell you exactly where the dig sites are. It cannot be easier. :crazyeye:

...I've had this happen on various types of improvements. Went 50 turns not noticing an antiquity site 2 tiles from my capital hidden under an improvement...

When you research Archaeology the game should notify you of any antiquity sites within your borders, just like any strategic resource. When you complete the exploration tree you don't get the same notification for hidden antiquity sites within your borders.

If you can arrange it, have several archeologists start digging at precisely the same time in the same country. That way you can get several artifacts and only get flamed once. Otherwise you can always take them from CS's.
Oddly enough, this still gets you the diplomatic demerit of "you said you would stop digging but continued anyway" (not exact). I found out the hard way.

Basically: it can't be done. You can do it once for each civ without penalty though.

Top Bottom