Archived (and Resurrected) Stories

Quintillus

Restoring Civ3 Content
Supporter
As many of you know, over time resources disappear, and as time goes on, more links are broken. As such, Lanzelot and I have started an effort to archive old Stories and Tales using programmatic means, since manual archiving takes enough time that comprehensive archives have not been made.

Our goal is that even if the sites (often third-party) that stories use for image hosting go down, their contents will still be available in the future via this archive. You could think of it as a Wayback Machine for Civ, in the making.

Initially, this focus is on the most popular stories that are largely intact. You can view the list of available stories here.

List of stories added:

7/21/2018
The Republicans go to War, by Lanzelot
The Conquests, by choxorn
Pax Romana, by Vanadorn

7/22/2018
Beyond Sid, by Bamspeedy
SirPleb deity, with Palace rank exploit, by SirPleb
World War I... in 2051 A.D.!?!?, by Coinich
the celtic peacekeepers!, by Daftpanzer (including restoration of half the missing images)

Original post:

Spoiler :
As any long-term member (or many short-term members who have tried to download old mods) can tell you, one of the hazards of the sands of the time on the Internet is that links break, sites go down, and eventually what was accessible is not any more. Having been a member of CFC for more than a decade, I've seen that happen more than a few times:

• The Great Hack of 2008, wiping out about a year's worth of CFC Uploads
  • MegaUpload going down, taking mods with it
  • AtomicGamer going down, with the same result
  • Photobucket putting up a paywall, making many images (particularly in Stories and Tales) unavailable
  • Various ImageBucket links breaking over the years
  • Various smaller sites (including personal sites hosting mods) going down

It's also true that the average age of our creations is increasing. And while there's a decent chance that graphical mods, such as unit graphics, are hosted here and still available, beyond that it's become increasingly likely over the years that any given mod or story is no longer available. For stories, I would not be at all surprised if more than half are no longer fully available; for mods the situation is probably better, but there are scores that were hosted on AtomicGamer and its affiliates.

But archiving things is hard, and takes time. So while there are a few posters, such as Ozymandias, who have done a good job with it, no one has been able to archive everything, and those who have made an effort have tended to focus on one area. It's also not sufficient just to rely on CFC being backed up (though that is important), since many resources, especially larger ones, are hosted externally.

So, largely, when an external site has gone down, we've lost content. Occasionally the original author is still here, and re-uploads it, but as I can attest to, that takes time. More often than not, they've already moved on, or don't have the time.

--------------------

I don't have a silver bullet for mods, particularly externally-hosted ones. But this week I got around to creating a program that automatically archives Stories and Tales threads, saving them - including external images - locally. I'm sure it will still need work to work with all the stories. But I wanted to post about it, to demonstrate that this sort of thing is possible. I wish I'd had the technical know-how to do this a decade ago - my approach then was manual, and not scalable even with my greater amounts of free time then. While that involved manually downloading each image and putting them together by hand, my new approach can download an entire story automatically within a few minutes (depending on the size of the story and bandwidth).

My sample is based on Lanzelot's story The Republicans go to War, which just wrapped up. You can download an archive of the first page here. The program can download all pages, but the combined size (70 MB) is too large for my e-mail's file hosting. Unzip the archive, then open StoryArchive.html. If you turn off your network after downloading, you'll find that everything still works.

My main goal is to preserve the remaining stories before another popular image-hosting site goes down. But I can also see this being useful for those who will be offline for awhile, such as on an airplane.

The code for this program is here. Not super user-friendly yet, but I want the focus to be on the archival discussion, not the tools to do so, beyond that they can be created.

The same approach can be applied to other threads, as well.

---------------------

Thinking about the long term, how many of our creations will still be available in 2050? That's farther off than the Internet is old, but based on past experience, the most likely answer is "not many." While I'm not too worried about CFC itself - there are multiple admins, Thunderfall is already much less active than he used to be, and there are enough active users to step up if need be - all bets are off for external sites. The amount of content lost over the past 10 years alone sets a poor precedent.

That's why I think a focus on preserving our past (using an approach that can also preserve our future) should be a focus. Here's what I'm thinking:

• Tools are created to help automatically archive resources where possible
  • An external site is created for hosting archived resources. Both tool-archived resources and manually-archived ones (where tool-based archives are not possible, such as external sites having anti-bot technology) are stored there.
  • A small team of individuals administers the archive - the inactivity of any one member should not render the resources inaccessible.
  • The archive site itself is properly backed up. Hard drives are cheap these days.
  • Ideally, a process is created where CFC resources can be updated when links break, using archived versions.

The last point is rather key. A common situation is that a mod link breaks, and the first post is stuck forever linking to a broken link. Even when someone re-uploads it, their post often eventually winds up a page or two from the end, and difficult to find. With stories, the images simply disappear over time. Having some way to restore these links significantly enhances the value of both mods and stories - although this will require CFC involvement. Having mods and stories archived externally, while not as convenient, would at least provide an option if that is not possible - and some archive is necessary for reliable restoration of links.

---------

Thoughts? Anyone else interested in helping with Civ3 artifact preservation? Please feel free to link in C&C or S&T as well; I've posted this here as a central location.

Last edited:
As an update on feasibility, I've now archived Vanadorn's Pax Romana story, as a test of the archiving program's scalability. It only took a bit over 5 minutes, although it is text-heavy and light on images. But that's much faster than I could have done it manually, and the difference in time would only grow with an image-heavy story.

I still need to verify a few images - the size of some of them seems a bit small, so it may be getting previews of items attached through the attachments system - but it created an archive of all 126 pages. Converting it to PDF through my browser took another 5-10 minutes, but resulted in a 2200+ page, 22 MB document.

I'm going to set it to work on choxorn's The Conquests next as a test of a long and image-heavy story, whose images are still present (due to choxorn re-uploading them). Might need a few tweaks, but wouldn't be too surprised to wake up tomorrow and have it archived.

I think it's an excellent idea. Thanks a lot for the effort! (And also thanks a lot for the honor of being the first guinea pig...! So it payed off that I spent the time to dig up the lost pictures and to finish the story...)

Let me add one more point to your list of events that destroyed a significant amount of Civ3 content: the CFC forum software switch from vBulletin to Xenforo last year... Some users (including myself) lost nearly all their attachments/uploads. So even though I never used an external site for hosting my pictures, all my content was lost as well.

I have now restored the Republican story, and fortunately I was also able to find a folder with screenshots and .sav files from the Asterix story (2011) on my old laptop. So one of the next free weekends will be dedicated to restore the Asterix story as well. With your tool, it would probably have been a matter of a few minutes instead of a couple of evenings of work.

Last edited:
I'm pleased to write that I have now uploaded the first story which includes restoration work. the celtic peacekeepers! is missing 29 images at CFC; I was able to find and restore 15 of those via the Internet Archive's archives, particularly their archive of Geocities. The Internet Archive didn't have the thread itself archived, however, so the restored version is now the most complete version of the celtic peacekeepers! currently available.

From a technical standpoint, I added an archiveInfo.html page which is generated at the end of the archival process. This lists how many image downloads succeeded out of the overall number of attempts, and also lists out the URLs of the failed ones. This is quite useful for bringing the missing images back to life, if a copy can be found somewhere.

Edit: Also updated the web site, converting the list of uploaded stories into more-readable table format.

Edit 2: Added Hikaro Takayama's Triumph(?) of the Boers. That takes the total to 8 stories and a HOF thread.

I will probably be a bit less active the rest of the week. But I'm pleased that to have reached the point where threads are consistently succeeding at downloading on the first try.

Exciting news - I have successfully restored a HOF tale, Mayan Mayhem: A Huge Deity Histographic, which is missing all its images at CFC. It now has all its images in the archived version, and is available to download from the archive server.

I'm not quite ready to write up the type of sorcery used to make that possible, but suffice to say it is reproducible programmatic for stories whose images are missing for the same reason as Mayan Mayhem's, and is a significant boost to the practical benefit of this effort right now (i.e. in restoring things already down, versus than being better-prepared for when the next site goes down).

Edit: Have applied the same technique to Sparthage's Celtic Fury, which is now over 96% present in archived form.

Edit 2: Did the same for SonicTH's Pax Americana - the Culmination of Manifest Destiny, which is now 100% archived.

Last edited:
As any long-time reader of this forum knows, over the years, third-party image sites have gone down, CFC has been hacked, and forum upgrades have broken formatting and links. Stories and Tales, sadly, has not been spared from this, and if anything has been hit harder than most forums. Simply put, many stories are no longer complete.

This isn't new, but what is new is that, along with Lanzelot, I have gathered both the expertise and the motivation to do something about it. The goal being to create an archive of stories that won't be affected by image sites going down, or upgrading to the next version of XenForo breaking formatting. One where you can view a story in all its glory, whether the time is tomorrow, or ten years from now. An archive that will, to borrow a phrase from Civ, stand the test of time.

And I'd like to attempt to resurrect missing images, and restore already-broken formatting. This won't be possible in all cases, especially for missing images. But encouragingly, I've already restored nearly all the missing images from 4 stories, and about half of them from another. What had previously been thought to be lost will in some cases be retrievable.

------------

You can view the archive here. Yeah, it's just an IP address with a basic HTML page and table for now - I'm focused on archiving things initially. As of thread-creation time, there are 11 stories, plus two HOF threads.

-------------

This thread is to discuss the restored and archived stories, feedback on the archived copies (including notice of errors), to post updates about newly-archived stories, and to provide notice if you've done some restoration work on your own thread at CFC. Suggestions are also welcome; I'm not aware of all the legendary games and threads. There is a separate thread (in General Discussions, but to be moved to Utilities) to discuss the technical aspects and development.

Of particular note are 3 stories/threads that had previously lost all their images, but have all of them in the archive:

Pax Americana - the Culmination of Manifest Destiny, by SonicTH
Chieftain to Monarch: Game Two, by CommandoBob
Mayan Mayhem: A Huge Deity Histographic, by Spoonwood

Celtic Fury, by Sparthage, is also notable, as it had been missing about half its images, and nearly all are now restored.

the celtic peacekeepers!, by Daftpanzer, is the other notable restoration work; about half of the 18% of images that were missing are now present. The restoration is heaviest at the crucial beginning of the thread, making it easy to get into the story once more.

The other half-dozen stories available in archived form are in similar shape to their current status at CivFanatics.

--------------------------

And for those of you who were hoping my new thread was a story, this isn't the thread you were looking for, but you may not be entirely out of luck. I've dusted off my quill, although I'm focusing on building up a backlog before starting up again this time, as time for writing/playing Civ is more variable than in 2007.

Sounds intriguing. Sometimes, I am going back to read our old Grumpy Old Men's AW games and sadly, most images are gone. Is there any way for you to resurrect them? That would be awesome.

It depends on whether a copy can be tracked down on the Internet. I've had good luck restoring images from Photobucket, for example, and Geocities was decently archived. But images deleted from ImageShack or lost during the hack have not been promising.

Taking a look at a randomly-selected Grumpy Old Men game, Handy 19, as an example, I see that the venerable Bede's images can likely be restored. But the only way to know for sure will be to try. If there are particular games of those you'd like to request, feel free to nominate! I think I'll start with this one since some of the lost images are promising, and you were one of the participants in it.

Edit: Added Handy 19 as the first archived and restored succession game. 34 of 42 missing images (out of 108 images overall) were restored.

Last edited:
What an awesome undertaking! Even after all these years, I still search for stories that still have images, and I am saddened when great stories can no longer be read and followed because the images are gone.

Awesome job for handy19. I think handy 21 is the ultimate AWD on pangaea.

I also have written a solo story on ultra huge map AW as Celts. all my images there are gone. not sure whether this could be salvaged

Moderator Action: In case, some of you wonder, why this thread currently looks a bit "funny", with some of Quintillus' statements appearing redundant or duplicate:
It's not Quintillius' fault...! :D

I'm currently in the progress of splitting another thread into two parts: one for all posts relating to the development of the tool that Quintillus uses for doing the archiving and restoring work, and another one (this thread here) for reporting the progress on the archiving itself and for maintaining a list of archived and restored Stories.
I'm still new to the moderation tools here at CFC, so please bear with me, while I'm working on this... :mischief:

In the end, it'll all be nice and stream-lined again! (I hope...)

I have added Handy 21. It was not quite the success story of Handy 19 in restoration, but did have some success. For images, a lower percentage were missing in the thread (77% present, versus 61% for Handy 19), which is good. However, after restoration, the total was only 85%, versus 93%. This was due to a number of images hosted on Flickr or the CFC Uploads site (though not all images at the Uploads site) being unrecoverable so far. Notably, 4 images were automatically restored, and I manually restored one, along with a couple sentences that had somehow made it into the image's source location, causing it to be broken.

It's also worth noting that Handy 21 had a lot of formatting broken and replaced by Unicode escape sequences in the vBulletin --> XenForo migration, and those have been fixed. IMO, in this case that winds up being the main reason to prefer the archived version.

----------

I believe I found your thread, @ThERat - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/a-tale-of-an-aw-game-on-the-monster-map.241346/ . Unfortunately, it appears that all the images were on the Uploads system here, and all of them were lost in the Great Hack. IIRC the big problem with the hack was a lack of a backup, so the prospects of recovering them are slim. I did spot-check a few on the Internet Archive, but no luck there, either.

However, if you happen to still have the images, I could probably match them up again with less effort than manually editing the thread for all 117 of them. The file names are fairly simply, story01.jpg through story136.jpg (skipping a few here and there), plus a few that start with storyoct. If you happen to have them on a folder locally, I could create a spot on my e-mail server to upload them, and then I could take all of the uploaded images and put them in the archive's images folder, and as long as the file names match, I think that ought to restore them without any other manual tweaking.

I realize that's probably a long shot over a decade later, but if it's been "too much time to re-upload" and not "they don't exist locally either", there might be a way to restore them.

----------

@HardCode - Thanks for the comment! It's good to know that there are still people reading these stories, both because there have been a lot of good ones, and because it makes the effort of archiving them worthwhile.

-----------

50 minutes later: Added The First(and hopefully only) Reich, by SonicTH. This is another successful Photobucket restoration, with all 217 images brought back to life. It is uploading right now, and should be available from the archive site within 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Three more stories have been added, all ones whose images were missing, but are now restored. These are:

The Second Reich - Germany's Hegemony, by SonicTH
The Rise of Moraie, by Sashie VII
Schweitzes Reich: The Swiss Empire (MeM), by Hikaro Takayama

This takes the total number of stories archived to 16 (not counting Succession Games or HOF threads), of which 6 had been missing all their images, but now have them restored, and two additional ones with significant amounts of restoration. Most of the rest were still intact.

Awesome work, Quintillus. Unfortunately, I saved all those images on photobucket, I think. Don't think I can salvage them. Let me have a look.

By the way, is there any way to get to the past saves e.g. Handy21. There are links to them but they do not work.

If there's still a copy on Photobucket, they may be restorable. The links in the story are to the Uploads system.

The saves for Handy 21 look highly unlikely, due to being uploaded to the CFC Uploads system and appearing to have been lost in the hack. Another source for them would need to be found.

Three more stories have been uploaded:

The Rising Sun - Japanese Power Play, by tR1cKy
The Space Race, by Quintillus
GOTM 41 Reloaded - Persian Double Challenge, by tR1cKy

The first and third are still in good shape on the forum; the second was not and has been restored.

Edit: Also added Conquest of the World, by Quintillus. This has been restored, except for three posts in the middle with formatting issues. I recommend contacting the author for questions about those; it appears he still swings by the forum occasionally.

Edit 2: Added Blood and Iron: The Conquests of the Chancellor, by MTB4884.

Last edited:
After a couple days off, I've added 4 more stories. These were all intact, but it doesn't hurt to have backup copies:

By a Single Decision (Alternate History), by das
Hail Caesar, by zeeterus
Diety Game #2 - Crowded House, by BasketCase
Takeo takes on Deity, by Takeo

The total is now at 25 stories.

Thanks a bunch Quintillus. You and Lanzelot are true keepers of the flame. These "old" games are not only useful for their instructional value, but great entertainment as well. Cheers and good luck!

Top Bottom