ARCHIVED: Discussion Topic - Unit Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
k this is my 2nd try at the scout / sniper unit... I will equip it with a sniper, I think the revolver I used for the spy can be extended to a sniper IIRC, so I can use that. anyway, I hope it looks good enough, if not I can see what I can do but please bear in mind that Im quite limited in making models, I always scramble everything I can and try to make it look as closely as possible...

but tips on colors and props are more doable for me :p

That fellow looks great, Ruby - perfect as is to be a scout, actually. You might try making the bag and strap a little lighter so that it stands out a bit more. Keep in mind that this is a Victorian unit, so a pistol would be an older model, and a rifle might be a long rifle with a home-made scope (e.g., Quigley Down Under or Back to the Future III).

Do you have the rifle prop that I linked to quite a while back? That's got a big scope & a brassy / steampunk look iirc.

yea, thats the one I meant :p I'm pretty sure thats the same one I used for the spies revolvers, but you can customise it with a scope and a buttstock (is it called that?)

I'll check it out tonight when Im back home :p

Remember also that at civ scale one gun is really much the same as another, barring obvious differences such as rifle vs. handgun, etc. I used a combination of a revolver and a longbow to create a crossbow before and no-one minded. In this case, I'd recommend having a look at the guns Kinboat posted - I've found the Gnoll Gun in particular to be a good general-purpose old-fashioned rifle.

For things like a scope, you need nothing more than a Cylinder primitive squashed to the appropriate size and shape.

so I had exams this week, but I got christmas holidays now :D

anyway, I animated the whole unit except for 1 simple animation, and I was wondering... there is no civ color on this unit yet. Seeing the screenshot, what should I make civ specific? the shirt or undershirt would be kinda big but they could work.. the pack, I actually kinda like the lightbrown (its lighter than in the pic like suggested) and other stuff would feel kinda weird (a civ specific gun? :p)

so before rendering I might as well ask what you guys would rather see civ specific..

Dang sometimes civ colour is difficult to place without ruining the overall look of the unit. How about civ-coloured goggle lenses?

Here's some red ones for example
http://got-steam.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=18

And some green & blue ones
http://walyou.com/steampunk-solid-brass-goggles/

If you could make the goggles a more brassy colour then all the better.

would only the goggles glasses be enough of a civ color? It seems so small.. I could try the belt too but the gun basically blocks it completely in the S position, and blocks it mostly in the SW and SE position...

dang :S

Well, you should post at least one version with no civ color, IMHO. That would be my choice. As for Civ-coloring, I like the 'goggle lenses' idea - it's unobtrusive and would be spotted immediately by a player. Making the whole shirt civ color would be the traditional solution, I think, so your options are open. Very glad to hear of your progress.

Well, you should post at least one version with no civ color, IMHO. That would be my choice. As for Civ-coloring, I like the 'goggle lenses' idea - it's unobtrusive and would be spotted immediately by a player. Making the whole shirt civ color would be the traditional solution, I think, so your options are open. Very glad to hear of your progress.

making the whole shirt to me seems... I dunno, I kinda like the coloring without civ coloring alot and i made the whole thing without it. Besides, I like civ color in original places and not all over a shirt in general... Though now its an under/overshirt so its less obvious. I could do the glasses and the belt, or the glass straps only, but I dont really feel like rendering more than twice as it is VERY time consuming...

I guess I can give you the different images in SE default position so you can judge? I don't really like improvising on a unit that is requested of me instead of me just coming up with it :p

EDIT: I tried rendering everything, but I guess one of the shirts is most obvious. Do you need it for the mod or would the civ coloring be for me?
the shirts, IMO, the undershirt one looks best:

the goggles/glasses, as you can see, its barely, if at all, seeable:

"the shirts, IMO, the undershirt one looks best"

You have a point. I tend to forget just how small these units are in-game. Okay, how about one with original colors and one with the undershirt colored? and a coke. :snowlaugh:

As for "improvising", I'm a real believer in improvising, myself. Feel free.

Whether you've 'created' or 'improvised' this unit, Ruby, it's sure looking good.

uhm, as for sounds.. does the sniper need to make a regular sniper sound or should it be silenced?

Congratulations on the new job Plot. What is it (or can't you say e.g. working for the government).

I'm going to be working on putting together funding proposals for research projects in Oxford. Just a six-month contract, but hopefully it will lead to more. The only problem is that it's a pretty hefty commute, hence the lack of free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom