ARCHIVED: Fun Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone that doesn't already needs to know about Vernian Process - hours and hours of free Steampunk soundtrack.

And speaking of Steam Trek - definitely read Ishmael, a roman à clef in which an amnesiac Spock is end up in an 1860s where he encounters characters from TV westerns that were more or less contemporary to Star Trek. Whoa! Talk about your Wold Newton! Then there's How Much For Just The Planet? in which Kirk must negotiate vs. the Klingons with the people of a planet obsessed with Gilbert & Sullivan. The Klingon explanation of Victorian formal dinner attire is one of the greatest Star Trek moments ever, IMHO. Several SF authors receive homage as named characters in this "Tribbles" kind of story.

Maybe this better fits under the Contaptions & Inventions thread, but I've got other images I'm working with for the underlying technologies, and I just thought these were kind of cool to look at.

Upper left: an internal-combustion-engine powered home vacuum cleaner by Bissell (the company is still in business, although this model is no longer available)
Upper right: a closed-cycle steam-turbine powered phonograph (apparently there were quite a few manufacturers, and a very active community of collectors today).
Lower left: a steam powered lawn mower ("If you want to borrow the flivver, first get down to that coal chute and get busy mowing!")
Lower right: a modern steam enthusiast powers up his computer (yes it really works).

Speaking of that last, I really need a new desktop. Love that dvd drive in the model on the right. A laptop like the one on the left would be even more convenient. Anyone who wants to see my tech icon production accelerate is welcome to get me one of these custom-built babies (Mac preferred).

The internal combustion vacuum cleaner is fantastic. I love the fact that you have to bring that enormous, filthy, fume-belching monstrosity into your parlour - complete with two men to operate it - just so that the other man can remove dust from the backs of your chairs.

The computers are great fun too. I'd love something like that. Don't forget that Leibniz constructed one of the first mechanical arithmetic engines, with an eye to organising the whole of knowledge mathematically!

I really ought to make some kind of seventeenth-century equivalent of a steampunk mod. Clockworkpunk? The idea needs work.

I really ought to make some kind of seventeenth-century equivalent of a steampunk mod. Clockworkpunk? The idea needs work.
I've got some vague ideas about a "Secret History of the World" mod. First Era - Mu and Agartha as civs & technology ala Celestial Matters, etc. Second Era - "New Atlantis", Rosicrucians, Camillo's Memory Theater as a proto-Web, techs ala Giordano Bruno & Athanasius Kircher, up through the Enlightenment & Illuminati... Third Era - Steampunk Fourth Era - Retrofuture with SubGenius, Schwa & Discordian elements thrown in for good measure.

That sounds extremely interesting. You ought to get in touch with Rambuchan, if you're not already, as it sounds a lot like his planned but never completed medieval fantasy mod (set in the world portrayed in medieval maps, complete with all those strange monsters in central Asia...). Indeed I might have some good ideas myself if you want to get in touch about it at any point.

Vernian Process is a great find - fantastic custom music potential there!

We're straying pretty far OT; but, as to the ideas related to what Rambuchan was working, a little way down the list of mods I'm pretending I'm going to do one day is a Silk Road one (from Western China to the Levant) with a bit of John Mandeville & Baudolino thrown in.

Maybe this better fits under the Contaptions & Inventions thread, but I've got other images I'm working with for the underlying technologies, and I just thought these were kind of cool to look at.
Those are great. The lawnmower and cleaner are such a hoot and the computer is cool.

Don't forget that Leibniz constructed one of the first mechanical arithmetic engines, with an eye to organising the whole of knowledge mathematically!
What about the Antikythera or the plain old abacus? Clockwork punk I think has it's own genre so you could find plenty of ideas. One of things I thought about was moving the timeline of my scenario back a bit to cover a lot of Leonardo Da Vinci inspired work and clockwork stuff. However, I decided to narrow the scope to make it more manageable and coherent. I do think your idea and Blue Monkey's Secret History mod have bags of potential and would be extremely interesting. I agree with Plot on the Vernian Process. I never even knew it was out there - certainly lots of great stuff in it that I can use.

Clockwork punk already exists? Damn - there was I thinking I'd invented a whole new genre. And I'd already thought of a better name too (Baroque & Roll). Although I suppose they did it on Dr Who already (the Madame de Pompadour episode) so there you go...

I do think it's best to restrict this mod to the purely Victorian-style stuff; it keeps the atmosphere much better.

Vernian Process: in my opinion The forgotten age is the best of the downloadable albums. I think it has a more professional sound than the others.

Clockwork punk already exists? Damn - there was I thinking I'd invented a whole new genre. And I'd already thought of a better name too (Baroque & Roll). Although I suppose they did it on Dr Who already (the Madame de Pompadour episode) so there you go...

Baroque and Roll is hilarious but it's already taken you know. Aparently it's neo-classical metal music.

Vernian Process: in my opinion The forgotten age is the best of the downloadable albums. I think it has a more professional sound than the others.
I'd agree with that although some of the covers are quite amusing and hit quite a sentimental note with a kid from the 80s.

While trolling for images I found one for a Wonder. I haven't reserved the last two colors in the palette yet. This one is meant ironically and humorously, in the spirit of Flashman or the movie "The Man Who Would Be King". Please don't look if you're bothered by the Victorian attitude of "White Man's Burden".

Spoiler :
Bringing Pizza To The Wogs
Increases Commerce, Causes Corruption

In here goes some off the wall stuff that probably won't make it into my steampunk scenario. It's all steampunk related of sorts.

Here's my contribution: Steam Punk Star Wars

http://ericpoulton.blogspot.com/search/label/steampunk star wars
]

HOLY SPIT!!! YOU'RE THAT GUY?!!?!? I don't know if you're aware of this, but your art has been featured on the Brass Goggles Stempunk Blog and other related sites (like the Aether Emporium).

Blue Monkey: I know (well as well as you can know someone through the internet anyways) Jake von Slatt and Doc Nagy (the creators of the two computational devices you have pictured)... BTW, that telegraph sounder to the right of Jake's keyboard actually works, and is hooked up to his computer using a program that converts ASCII to morse code and it'll clack it out for him. Doc also has a steampunk laptop and scanner that he made (his laptop actually uses a clock windup key to turn on!!).

As for Vernian Process, I've recieved permission to use two of his Final Fantasy covers (Aeris's theme and The Highwind Takes to the Skies) for the FF mod, so He probably would be cool with us using his songs for this scenario... I'll PM him over at the stempunk forums and see if he's cool with that.

Oh, nice smiley, King Arthur... I'll have to let Tinkergirl (Brass Goggles Site Admin) know about it and see if she'll add it to the SPF smilie list....

Ah yes that will be a nice touch thanks.

I think I have some of it already since it was used in an expanded Napoleonic scenario.

Great news guys!!! I just logged into the Steampunk Forums, and found a new PM in my folder.

To my surprise it was from Vernian Process (I was just about to PM him), and here's what he said:

Vernian Process said:
Hey man, I just noticed the thread over in the civilization forum, you can let those guys knopw they are welcome to use any of my tracks, as long as they credit them properly. And if anyone uses any of my covers make sure they credit it to the original composer/copyright holder as well.

Oh and can you let that guy Plotinus know that the new album will have an even better production quality than The Forgotten Age.

Cool thanks man!

So, there you have it, straight from the man himself! :D

That's great. Nice to have a bit of inter-forum interaction going on there. The forgotten age has become my current music-to-have-on-while-working of choice so I shall be watching eagerly for the next one!

Yeah, Like I said, I'm already using his renditions of The Highwind Takes Flight and Aeris's Theme for the FF mod, plus a few other songs from his symphonic collection are in my playlist....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom