Arioch's Analyst Thread

Civ 5 is going to kill. It will be a hit. There is no good reason to keep a lid on info at this point. 2K is silly to pass on the free advertising and hype.

IMO, the walkthrus done by beta testers (like Sulla) before Civ IV released did more to promote Civ IV than any advertisement could ever do. Reading thru that stuff was almost terrible because it made waiting for release that much more unbearable.

it may be so that 2k doesn't want unofficial screens of the civilopedia and the tech tree online. Because they're maybe not finished, yet.

Could be but most of us already know we're seeing preview build info that isn't 100% locked in.

The thing is, if these unfinished preview builds get everyone completely jazzed, you know they'll like the final product even more...so why hold back.

@Algeroth

Whose couch is this? It's a sofa, baby. Whose sofa is this? Freud's. Who's Freud? Freud's dead baby... Freud's dead.

Is this from the movie "It's a Mad, Mad Mad World" ?

Elrikk

Civ 5 is going to kill. It will be a hit. There is no good reason to keep a lid on info at this point. 2K is silly to pass on the free advertising and hype.

IMO, the walkthrus done by beta testers (like Sulla) before Civ IV released did more to promote Civ IV than any advertisement could ever do. Reading thru that stuff was almost terrible because it made waiting for release that much more unbearable.

Could be but most of us already know we're seeing preview build info that isn't 100% locked in.

The thing is, if these unfinished preview builds get everyone completely jazzed, you know they'll like the final product even more...so why hold back.

Spot on. It's much more entertaining than the boring, dry previews from all these websites that no one has ever heard of.

Civ 5 is going to kill.

Nah. It's going to mass murder.

I find it suspicious that 2k wants civilopedia screenshots removed (I read Azazell requesting especially those to be removed, in the stickied thread up there. That's how I understood it, I may be mistaken).

@Algeroth

Whose couch is this? It's a sofa, baby. Whose sofa is this? Freud's. Who's Freud? Freud's dead baby... Freud's dead.

Is this from the movie "It's a Mad, Mad Mad World" ?

Elrikk

No, it's unholy lovechild of Pulp Fiction and The Interpretation of Dreams AFAIK.

Nah. It's going to mass murder.

I find it suspicious that 2k wants civilopedia screenshots removed (I read Azazell requesting especially those to be removed, in the stickied thread up there. That's how I understood it, I may be mistaken).

Nothing suspicious, developers usually don't want all the info out before the game is finished. They're still balancing and changing stuff (legalism was alrady nerfed) and with too many details we might get a wrong picture.

I would do anything to stand on Azazell's side.
he says he was not warned about the prohibition.

If it was not written in any legal paper when he started doing his review, then he can't be touched!
We know he did sign a gag order not to release the info until now. Possibly that paperwork also included additional restrictions. Azazell needs to look over that paperwork to verify that 2k's claim is valid, and if it's not clearly so, then contact a lawyer.

They could also be claiming copyright violation. That could be harrier.

But this isn't the thread to discuss this.

Arioch just wanted to say congratilutions for the web site it is very useful and very good it got me hitching just more 43 days until game release and probably just 1 week away from the demo:D

Nothing suspicious, developers usually don't want all the info out before the game is finished. They're still balancing and changing stuff (legalism was alrady nerfed) and with too many details we might get a wrong picture.

I fully agree, that's what I meant by "suspicious".

Janissary does it every single time it defeats another unit. Not sure if defeats means kills or just does more damage to than receives.

On an other note, do we know how many xp are needed to gain a new promotion? Is it linear or (like in civ4) quadratic? Do you gain xp depending only on how much damage you give out or is it based on other things?

Don't have any information yet about how many XP you need, but I have seen units gain 4-5XP in one single action and the Armory building gives +15XP, so I'd estimate the first promotion comes at around 10 XP. I have a hunch it will be more linear than quadratic, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. Units gain XP for receiving damage for ranged attacks as well (1XP per damage), and I would expect a unit to gain more XP if it wins against the odds.

You guys have no idea what it's like to release a major game and so you have no business telling 2K how best to proceed. It's not your paychecck on the line if something goes awry, it's theirs. They also own the property and what they say goes.

2K may not be able to take any legal action against Azazell, but they can black-list him and tell other devs that he refused to cooperate with a request to remove sensative information, and then he's pretty much done as a professional reviewer. So he too must be allowed to do what he feels is right to protect his meal ticket. Same for Thunderfall.

That being said, I too would've liked for the information to have remained available. I'm no longer a big enough fan to care enough to have saved all the screenshots, but maybe someone else did. I was hoping Arioch would be able to make use of the information and analyze it, but unfortunately he's got to be rid of it too.

Some of what I saw in the screenies made me want the game more than I did before, which wasn't really that much to begin with, so it may have tipped me over the edge. If I could've seen a more detailed analysis, the deciding factor might've been in there.

Actually Arioch doesnt have to get rid of anything, even if he does I still have all the important stuff on my own screenshots, and I will release my knowledge to whomever I want whenever I want. Arioch doesn't have any screen shots, merely a few tiny art pictures which barely number over 15 from Azazells information and lots of knowledge, knowledge can't be contained, all Azazell can do is remove the data he wasn't supposed to release from his official site, he need not chase up the whole internet to be "clean" as it were.

Anyway, this topic really is irrelevant to this thread.

Janissary does it every single time it defeats another unit. Not sure if defeats means kills or just does more damage to than receives.

Yes the "Heal Instantly - Instead of Upgrade" upgrade was from a Rocket Artillery not a Janissary, the Janissary ability is different, it gets a "Instant Heal" each time it Kills a non-barbarian unit. A very cool ability indeed, using ranged units to soften defenders a Janissary can then come in and kill it and still be full health for any counter attack or a continuation of the push the next turn. That will be a unit you will want to finish off and not leave "half alive".

Yes the "Heal Instantly - Instead of Upgrade" upgrade was from a Rocket Artillery not a Janissary, the Janissary ability is different, it gets a "Instant Heal" each time it Kills a non-barbarian unit. A very cool ability indeed, using ranged units to soften defenders a Janissary can then come in and kill it and still be full health for any counter attack or a continuation of the push the next turn. That will be a unit you will want to finish off and not leave "half alive".

Someone commented on another thread after seeing the Ottoman UUs something along the lines of "When the Renaissance comes around I hope the Ottomans are on the other side of the world." Probably the same place you hope the Greeks are in late Ancient-early Classical and the Romans slightly later.

Or Russians from medieval till the modern era ;)

At least the Russians only have one UU, instead of two UUs at the same time. Even though they will have a lot of them, it might be possible to set up a defensive position that is hard to take. Far harder to do that against two different kind of UUs.

I don't think it's strange for jungles to give research at all. They're full of plants, animals, and fungi to study.

Top Bottom