Army volunteer didn't volunteer for war

Greadius

:yeah:
Brothers in arms - Family members choose different paths to war

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/123186

Excerpt: "It was the Clinton administration, the economy was strong and war didn't seem to be on the horizon,'' Travis said. "Not once did any of the recruiters I spoke with mention war, enemy, shooting or death.''

Translation: I screwed up and now I want to get out before I risk my ass.

Please someone have the balls to send him in the frontline so he can run and be tried as a deserter.

Too bad for him. Hopefully he wont have to face any life threatening or murderous situations.

Originally posted by Greadius
Brothers in arms - Family members choose different paths to war

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/123186

Excerpt: "It was the Clinton administration, the economy was strong and war didn't seem to be on the horizon,'' Travis said. "Not once did any of the recruiters I spoke with mention war, enemy, shooting or death.''

Translation: I screwed up and now I want to get out before I risk my ass.

Please someone have the balls to send him in the frontline so he can run and be tried as a deserter.

Well, he did screw up, but your comment on sending him on the frontline is a bit rich... your'e not there, AFAIK.
And it looks like it's about more than fear of dying, since he nearly did:

``He's done things in a humanitarian capacity that are life-threatening,'' she said. ``He lived with a tribe in Papua New Guinea and got two types of malaria and almost died. He was only a teenager when he went with a medical team to Nicaragua.''

Actualy, from the article it looks more like he was under pressure from his family to join, did it without thinking it thought, and now regret it. I can sympathise with that, even if it's his fault in the end.

i'd have to agree with u greadius, which is rare :p
Only idiots don't think of or know the risks of joining the military
"oh its all peaceful now, it doesn't look like there's going to be any wars" that was the thinking of a ******

"Well, I mean, if there's a big war someone could get hurt"

:lol:

Originally posted by SunTzu
i'd have to agree with u greadius, which is rare :p
Only idiots don't think of or know the risks of joining the military
"oh its all peaceful now, it doesn't look like there's going to be any wars" that was the thinking of a ******

Presumably he thought the army was a superior form of welfare.

If he don't want to kill, and people can change their mind on this, then fine - but send him as a medic to hop through the minefields while being machine gunned, to attend to the casualties.

Similar lines:

"I joined the police but am not going to deal with criminals."

"I been robbed - my stocks have gone down not up."

"I trained in medicine but I don't like sick people."

"I am going to be a surgeon, but faint at sight of blood."

When you join the US military, the American government pretty much OWNS you for the four years or whatever you agree to serve. This was painfully obvious to me when I joined during that same Clinton administration. I saw that, God willing, war was probably not THAT likely within the next four years, but if it did come, obviously they're going to put me in it before they draft some poor schmuck at home (of course the Navy is probably much safer than being in the ground forces, but ships still can be sunk), which is only fair after all--I volunteered!

Yeah, it sure does suck when things don't go the way you expect them to (unless of course they go better). Welcome to life. So if you want to avoid having to carry a rifle in a war, don't put yourself in an organization that can make you do that! If you want to play odds, that's fine, but no one thinks it unfair when a better loses whatever he bet. And it's not like being in the military doesn't have its advantages, either.

I see no problem with a guy who joins the army but doesn't want to be a soldier. Let him leave. But, since he clearly joined under false pretences, make him pay back every penny of salary he's earned to date, plus his training costs.

I'm sue there's alot of men who didn't know there was going to be an Iraqi war, but they were brave enough not to complain. make him stay and fight.

I may be mistaken, but isn't "army" the organization that is supposed to deal with a war if it ever happen ? :hmm:

The way I see it if you don't want to fight you shouldn't sign up for the army. Saying that he wouldn't be much use in combat if he didn't want to be there.

Reading the article, he sounds like a spoiled kid who wants milk things for his own good and desires.

Sorry Trav, but it doesn't take a genius to know that joining the military means potentially getting involved in a war.

I think he should have realized that, despite how "good" everything looked in the Clinton administration, anything can happen. :lol: I guess this guy forgot that, if you join the military, you typically end up in a combat situation...:rolleyes:

A concientious discharge is unacceptable.

Dishonorable discharge and civilian jail time followed with repayment of past wages and training expenses is as lenient as even *I* can possible accept.

If I were not in such a happy mood this morning, I'd vote to tie him to the front of a tank.... an Iraqi tank at that!

:lol: Isn't there a Monty Python Sketch about this very situation?

Originally posted by KaeptnOvi
:lol: Isn't there a Monty Python Sketch about this very situation?

YEah, G-man took a quote from it above.

"I want to leave the Army sir"

"Why is that?"

"Well it's dangerous!" :lol:

Ohh, I forgot about the Monty Python skit... suppose that just shows to remind us that sometimes reality mirrors art.

I remember way back in 1999 when everything was fine & dandy, I briefly considered a stint in the Amred Forces before I realized "Hey, I don't want to get put in dangerous situations."

The guy could have joined the Navy, or Air Force and it'd probably never be an issue. It truly is a spoiled kid looking for a free ride.

What a dumb head. "I joined the army because I didn't think I'd be in a war!" What else does an army do? Pick daisy's!?

Top Bottom