"Artists"

I'm not entirely sure how playing violin helps guide your civilization towards might, prosperity, knowledge or industry.

Because artists have charismatic power, and they often promote (and trigger) social changes.

Besides this is something that is well established in Civ V where you get a writer, he writes a treatise and bam you get a new policy.

As an artist with eight years education in fine art and arts and crafts, artist are probably the best people you can have on the spaceship! We studie a broad subject of academic research, and at the same time learn a lot of practical stuff, I can build large constructions in metal or wood, I can weld and cast glass, plastic and Bronze. I have build ha gardens and interacted witg people in new ways.

Artists are the Swiss army knife of problem solvers that also makes art that in the long run creates the inspiration and social cohesion that is needed for the collony to surrive.

What I don't get is what the aristocrats have there to do, since their old earth pounds and dollars won't be any thing worth in a energy economy.

As an artist with eight years education in fine art and arts and crafts, artist are probably the best people you can have on the spaceship! We studie a broad subject of academic research, and at the same time learn a lot of practical stuff, I can build large constructions in metal or wood, I can weld and cast glass, plastic and Bronze. I have build ha gardens and interacted witg people in new ways.

Artists are the Swiss army knife of problem solvers that also makes art that in the long run creates the inspiration and social cohesion that is needed for the collony to surrive.

What I don't get is what the aristocrats have there to do, since their old earth pounds and dollars won't be any thing worth in a energy economy.

I can see people with money thinking they just want off the dying planet NOW and are willing to spend it to get their place aboard a ship, or even financing one of their own. I don't think it necessarily has to do with wise colony planning.

I'd much rather have 'intellectuals'. Even that is far fetched, but definitely better.

This would have made much more sense, and I don't think it's far fetched at all. I wonder if they just didn't think of this or thought it would be too similar to scientists. Scientists are intellectuals too, so... Hm

Surely the "Aristocrats" are even less believable than "Artists"(although I like the idea of sending a colony whose members focus on preserving and developing human culture, even if that's impractical).

Aristocrats in the 27th century? Who somehow promote trade and wealth? Really?

Surely the "Aristocrats" are even less believable than "Artists"(although I like the idea of sending a colony whose members focus on preserving and developing human culture, even if that's impractical).

Aristocrats in the 27th century? Who somehow promote trade and wealth? Really?

Thing is, "aristocrats" doesn't neccesarily have to mean "traditional nobility" or the like - it can easily include things like the heads of major corporations and so forth (who might well have become some for of hereditary elite over the next 5 centuries - indeed you could argue that some are now).

While I do think it is valuable to send creative minds to the new world, I don't want to sit here and say that people in the sciences or those who are skilled at conducting research are not creative. Quite the contrary actually -- it's the creative minds that drive humanity forward.

But there is a place for the arts in that equation too. Think back to the oral traditions of humanity when it was just us, fire, nomadic tribes, and someone explaining the stars in the sky. In a way, that's what the world is going back to through these seeding ventures.

artists are there to keep the population entertained, and under control. All work and no fun = lots of angry and grumpy people quick to rebel.

I thought that, if one give some flexibility on what the game's offer. They could end up got a great lore for that. Too bad that we don't have that on everyone's head.

and say, What would link colonial worker with colonial engineer, What would link colonial architect with colonial guard. It's works of artist, writer and musician that make a heart of newfound culture of alien planet. Where one sang in very same verse in very same music or reflect their live as what life on alien planet throws at them.

Not that everyone who work as other's profession can't create art. But sometimes I think we needs full time artist whose works gain it's worth by its beauty and meaning, Not inflated with money and mumbo-jumbo as we are.

Top Bottom