Ashes: Australia v England 2006/7

Its not so much that Day 4's performance has earnt us a draw, only the faintest possibility of a draw.

Its that it has given a few batsman a good deal of confidence and knocked the wind out of some aussie bowlers.

Warne looked ineffectual at times against Pieterson and its clear who won that battle. Lee got the stuffing knocked out of him.

Yeah, I think last time round, though England lost at Lord's, the bowlers had found that confidence to take wickets, the belief that they could bowl the Aussies out.

Another disappointing result to open this series it seems, but at least now we can take some confidence from it - this time for the batsmen.

England doesn't look capable of winning a test match unless Harmison fires, and Giles and Anderson are replaced by Panesar and Mahmood(?).

I'm slightly worried about how the Aussies will pick the team for Adelaide. I'm hoping MacGill doesnt play, since I'd prefer a younger spinner like Cameron White or Dan Cullen to get some test experience. Maybe 'rest' Glichrist as well, since he has no form with the bat and it would be good for Haddin to have a test or 2 under his belt. And I truely hope Martyn doesn't play, but thats because I simply hate him for his crappy feilding.

YES! Australia win! 5-0 HERE WE COME1010

Thats what they said when the Aussies were 1-0 up in England.

And I wouldn't play Mahmood. Far too inconsistent.

Heard Adelaide is good for spin. Get Panesar in. Could play Panesar and Giles i guess, dropping Anderson.

Adelaide not ideal for spin, with our short boundaries either side of the wicket; it does give a bit of help on the fourth and mainly the fifth day, but Les Burdett has a reputation of creating a very good cricket wicket (good for batting) before that factor comes into play.

Well done to the Poms for not collapsing in the second innings. Two batsmen had a hit, so that helped them.

I wouldn't count on Gilchrist being down forever, and regardless of what one wishes to say about Lee vs Pietersen, the scorebook has a lovely little scrawl in it.

They'll have to be tuned in and focused to make a game of it in Adelaide; both the playing squad and the officials, with their somewhat bemusing choices.

There was nothing in England's performance that would make me think they have a chance to win a match this time around. They need to lift big time to be competative in the remaining 4 games.

Oh is it tonight? Thought it was Friday, these time zones are messing with my head. Suppose technically it is Friday, very early friday.

:rotfl: England won't be able to take the 20 wickets nessecary to win a test match. Anderson and Giles still in the team made me extremely happy as an Aussie.

It was... but then it is cricket after all;)
At least England is making a game of it, but i can't see them bowling out Australia once let alone twice with their bowlers.

On a side note it was good to see Warne smacked around again by KP, as much as i want Australia to win i can't stand him.

It was... but then it is cricket after all;)
At least England is making a game of it, but i can't see them bowling out Australia once let alone twice with their bowlers.

On a side note it was good to see Warne smacked around again by KP, as much as i want Australia to win i can't stand him.

Warne or KP?

Collingwood got a nice century, just saw KP get caught behind but not given!!
EDIT: Scratch that fantastic decision by the umpire, massive noise but didnt hit it.

Its funny listening to the commentary; count how many times Bill Lawry say 'the best side in the world' instead of Australia!

Warne or KP?

I can't stand Warne. He may well be the best bowler in the world but he is a tool. He needs some humility pound into him every now and then.

Anyway it looks like this one will be a long slow draw.

Sure, the Aussies can't get out the English, but how will the English fare in return? I predict a draw.

Can you really expect more than a draw from them [England] right now? If I were captain, I'd certainly just try for a draw here. They were slaughtered in the first test, so anything that isn't a loss is a good thing for morale. As far as today goes, I'd say just draw out the batting as long as you can, and get a massive lead to take some pressure off the bowlers (run-wise, not wicket-wise). Consider this a transitional test, hopefully they'll find their rhythm here, and if not, then it's time for some heads to roll.

Top Bottom