Ask a Philosopher!

And they've been doing that since antiquity. That's the problem, and my contention, with the matter. For every sound argument you think you've made, there will always be another ready to destroy it. Because as long as it's just about argument, there will always be a better argument somewhere else. It may sound like a great argument at the time, though.

Of course. But the same thing is true of any field of knowledge, including the natural sciences; any theory or conclusion is open to subsequent revision. All we can do is the best that we can with what resources we have, including our own powers of reason. We can still try to evaluate viewpoints, and the arguments people advance to support those viewpoints, as critically and objectively as we can. What else can we do?

That's what every philosopher believes of his time.

And quite rightly too, I think. Although it's often said that philosophy doesn't advance in the way that science does, and that old philosophy doesn't become obsolete, I think there is a sense in which it does. Each succeeding generation and each succeeding age does advance our philosophical knowledge to some extent: not, perhaps, in establishing more definite conclusions about what is true, but at least in establishing clearer ways of thinking about the subject. For example, medieval philosophy was a big advance on ancient philosophy, since it inherited the same questions and positions but analysed them with far more clarity and rigour. Modern philosophy inherited this and refined things still further.

A more concrete example: in the middle of the twentieth century, philosophers generally thought that ethical statements are either purely cognitive (so, for example, "Murder is wrong" had the same sort of meaning as "Grass is green"), in which case they are probably all false, or they are purely emotive (so, for example, "Murder is wrong" basically means "Murder, ugh!", and conveys no factual information at all, in which case it's neither true nor false). Either way, ethical statements are either false or meaningless and should be abolished. (This is a bit of a caricature, but it was pretty much the general gist of it.) Today philosophers of ethics are aware that ethical statements are in fact much more complex than this, containing both cognitive and emotive elements. Now of course they don't all agree on how ethical statements function. The question is far from settled from that point of view. But they do recognise the greater variety of ways of answering the question, and furthermore they recognise the strengths and weaknesses of the different answers. That is an advance.

Let me put it this way: I have no interest in sermons, least of all about conditions that have no basis in reality or choices that never occur outside of imagination.

But ethical philosophy doesn't consist of sermons. Why would you think it does?

Moreover, if you claim that ethics has "no basis in reality", that's a strong philosophical claim. What evidence, or what argument, do you have to support such a claim? Are you really in a position to make such an assertion with such confidence when by your own admission you have no interest in acquainting yourself with the field? How would you feel if someone said that about your field?

The way I view it, it's an idle exercise, because what's right for one's life is determined by practical considerations, not lofty goals. And gaining ethical advantage at the expense of material advantage will yield only destruction (and it's nearly impossible to get both ethical and material advantage at the same time). I don't like it, but that's how the world is.

So if you can distinguish between "ethical" and "material" advantage, and say that they rarely coincide, doesn't that mean that you believe in ethics after all? Doesn't it mean that you believe that there is such a thing as ethical behaviour, which is distinct from materially advantageous behaviour? But how do you know that? And what is that behaviour? Aren't those legitimate questions - and important ones? It seems to me that you dismiss them only because you think you already know the answer. But not everyone is so sure.

Besides, I don't agree with your assessment of how the world is. You imply that ethics is all about making sacrifices for the sake of "lofty goals". But of course it isn't. We face moral choices every day of our lives. Should you tell somebody the rumour that is being passed round about them? Should you tell someone that their partner is having an affair? Should you do unpaid overtime to help out an overworked colleague, or is that an unreasonable expectation? Should you buy goods from a country whose government's policies you think are wrong? What sort of governmental policies are wrong anyway? Do you have a moral obligation to recycle? And so on. To suggest that morality has nothing to do with everyday life, and that we can go through life mostly not thinking about moral questions, is either naive or itself rather immoral. So what's wrong with trying to think about these things rationally? That's what philosophical ethics is about. It's not about preaching or about trying to justify how we behave already, it's about thinking about these things as objectively and rationally as possible.

I appreciate that - as well as your patience with Nanocyborgasm, BTW -, but I'd like to add that the internet also seems to come in handy if people are really interested in philosophy. For instance, I found this introductory course reference (What is philosophy?: http://www.uri.edu/personal/szunjic/philos/whystudy.htm), as well as several book references simply by googling "introduction modern philosophy".

Yes, and as I've said before, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is a very good resource. Unfortunately the entries for both political and ethical philosophy in it are not yet complete, although many of the sub-entries are, so it's of some relevance to this part of the conversation. I can, however, give this link to its entry on consequentialism as an example of a theory in philosophical ethics, which I hope should go some way towards illustrating what it's all about (and how different it is from a sermon).

Of course. But the same thing is true of any field of knowledge, including the natural sciences; any theory or conclusion is open to subsequent revision. All we can do is the best that we can with what resources we have, including our own powers of reason. We can still try to evaluate viewpoints, and the arguments people advance to support those viewpoints, as critically and objectively as we can. What else can we do?

There is a difference. Science tests its hypotheses through experimentation, and no notion is worth anything unless it's confirmed this way. This is why I have learned more about Galen on this website (due to its devotion to history) than in medical school. It's also why no chemistry course will teach you the ins and outs of alchemy.

And quite rightly too, I think. Although it's often said that philosophy doesn't advance in the way that science does, and that old philosophy doesn't become obsolete, I think there is a sense in which it does. Each succeeding generation and each succeeding age does advance our philosophical knowledge to some extent: not, perhaps, in establishing more definite conclusions about what is true, but at least in establishing clearer ways of thinking about the subject. For example, medieval philosophy was a big advance on ancient philosophy, since it inherited the same questions and positions but analysed them with far more clarity and rigour. Modern philosophy inherited this and refined things still further.

That's nice.

But ethical philosophy doesn't consist of sermons. Why would you think it does?

It may as well, because it consists of contrived scenarios that may or may not actually occur, and purports a way to solve them based on some guiding principles. The only thing it's lacking is divine retribution.

Moreover, if you claim that ethics has "no basis in reality", that's a strong philosophical claim. What evidence, or what argument, do you have to support such a claim? Are you really in a position to make such an assertion with such confidence when by your own admission you have no interest in acquainting yourself with the field? How would you feel if someone said that about your field?

Is there a philosophy police that I must guard myself against?

The reason I have so little confidence in ethics is because it changes depending on the prevailing times. As recently as a generation ago, for example, it was socially acceptable to be openly bigotted. And until just 150 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable to own slaves and believe it was for their own good as much as yours. Until the 20th century, it was acceptable to beat your wife. These were the customs of their times, and those behaviors were considered ethical and moral. (To me, these terms are one and the same, and the differences are purely semantic.) Does this mean that people in the 21st century are more ethical than in the past? I doubt it, because those people were behaving in a manner consistent with prevailing expectations, just as people do today. And if ethics has so long been a part of philosophy, why has there been, for so long, such depravity?

So if you can distinguish between "ethical" and "material" advantage, and say that they rarely coincide, doesn't that mean that you believe in ethics after all? Doesn't it mean that you believe that there is such a thing as ethical behaviour, which is distinct from materially advantageous behaviour? But how do you know that? And what is that behaviour? Aren't those legitimate questions - and important ones? It seems to me that you dismiss them only because you think you already know the answer. But not everyone is so sure.

I would have to be denser than a singularity to not notice what society expects of me. And so I recognize what is considered ethical. That doesn't mean that I agree with it, and I consider it foolish to fight a whole society just because I don't like the way it operates. As far as I'm concerned, I have little confidence that a fair and just ethical system can exist, because everyone is always out for material advantage, as every resource is finite and therefore scarce; unless we come to live in a post-scarcity society, where obedient robotic slaves cater to out every whim, and supercomputers administer our government to our benefit.

Besides, I don't agree with your assessment of how the world is. You imply that ethics is all about making sacrifices for the sake of "lofty goals". But of course it isn't. We face moral choices every day of our lives. Should you tell somebody the rumour that is being passed round about them? Should you tell someone that their partner is having an affair? Should you do unpaid overtime to help out an overworked colleague, or is that an unreasonable expectation? Should you buy goods from a country whose government's policies you think are wrong? What sort of governmental policies are wrong anyway? Do you have a moral obligation to recycle? And so on. To suggest that morality has nothing to do with everyday life, and that we can go through life mostly not thinking about moral questions, is either naive or itself rather immoral. So what's wrong with trying to think about these things rationally? That's what philosophical ethics is about. It's not about preaching or about trying to justify how we behave already, it's about thinking about these things as objectively and rationally as possible.

Observation suggests that people will act in a manner most advantageous to them, not necessarily what is just and fair. And then they will publically behave in a manner consistent with what is expected of them, wherever their ethics might be in deficit with such action.

I can't help to notice that you seem to have certain preconceived notions about what philosophy is, which however do not conform to the actual state of philosophy - as Plotinus already pointed out. I suggest actually checking out some of the links recently provided prior to continuing this ongoing debate. That seems like a fruitful approach - to me at least.

As per ethics: notions on what constitutes ethical behaviour do change over time (which, by the way, suggests a certain progress). What any of this has to do with philosophy is another matter entirely: it is not philosophers that govern the world - nor do they aspire to.

Yes, and as I've said before, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is a very good resource. Unfortunately the entries for both political and ethical philosophy in it are not yet complete, although many of the sub-entries are, so it's of some relevance to this part of the conversation. I can, however, give this link to its entry on consequentialism as an example of a theory in philosophical ethics, which I hope should go some way towards illustrating what it's all about (and how different it is from a sermon).

I know; I assume that's why it is mentioned in the OP. (And if you’d have followed my earlier What is philosophy? thread you might have noticed I’ve referred to it myself .) I'd be more interested in your view on the particular course I linked to however – which, by the way, is based on Russell’s The value of philosophy. (Perhaps an interesting read for Nanocyborgasm?)

There is a difference. Science tests its hypotheses through experimentation, and no notion is worth anything unless it's confirmed this way. This is why I have learned more about Galen on this website (due to its devotion to history) than in medical school. It's also why no chemistry course will teach you the ins and outs of alchemy.

But philosophy works in the same way. The difference is one of degree, not kind. In both science and philosophy, you can't just make up some idea and wiffle about it vaguely until you've forced everyone to agree out of pure boredom (well, maybe in Continental philosophy, but we won't go there). You have to support it with arguments. In the natural sciences these arguments are based on experiments; and they are so strong that normally you don't bother articulating the arguments themselves, you just do the experiments and report the results, and draw conclusions directly from them. The scientific method is really just a form of philosophical argument, one which uses the results of experiments as its premises, and it is so powerful because premises that are based upon experiment are so strong. Philosophy is the same, except that you don't have experiments and their results in the same way. If you did, it would be called science. In philosophy, your claims must be supported by arguments. In the absence of the experimental method, these arguments are necessarily going to be weaker than most scientific ones, and that is why philosophical conclusions are that much less certain than scientific ones. It's also why philosophers tend to spend more time examining each other's arguments, and finding faults with them, than scientists do. Of course this happens in science too, to some extent: a scientist may claim that another scientist's hypothesis is ill founded, either because the results of her experiments do not support it, or because her experiments themselves are flawed in some way. The process is the same, it's just the methods that are different.

It may as well, because it consists of contrived scenarios that may or may not actually occur, and purports a way to solve them based on some guiding principles. The only thing it's lacking is divine retribution.

You've got it completely backwards. Philosophical ethics doesn't consist of making up arbitrary principles and then "solving" fantasy scenarios on that basis. On the contrary, the contrived scenarios - when they are used - are there to establish the principles.

It's exactly the same as in science. In science you observe some phenomena and concoct a hypothesis to explain those phenomena. Then you perform some experiments to test the hypothesis. If the experiments confirm the hypothesis, then it is stronger, and you might try some new experiments to test it in a different way. If they do not confirm the hypothesis you either modify it or think up a new one, and so it starts again.

In philosophy too, you see phenomena which you seek to explain. In the case of ethics the basic phenomena are our ethical intuitions - our beliefs that certain things are right and others are wrong. Ethicists try to come up with theories about what makes some things right and some things wrong that fit these intuitions. For example, utilitarians believe that what makes an action right or wrong is its consequences. An action is good insofar as it brings about good consequences, and bad insofar as it brings about bad ones; and in any situation, the thing you ought to do is the one that will do the most good. (That's a simple form of act utilitarianism.) So that's the hypothesis. It seems roughly to match our intuitions: we do think that actions that do good are themselves right to do, and that actions that do harm are themselves wrong to do. Then one tests this hypothesis by imagining "test" situations.

For example, there's the situation that was put to Kant (who held a non-utilitarian theory, in which actions are right or wrong irrespective of their consequences). A murderer asks you where your friend is hiding, so he can go and kill him. Do you tell the murderer the truth? Kant said you do, because it is always wrong to lie. But this conflicts with most people's intuitions. Most people think it would be wrong to tell the truth to the murderer, and that you should lie to him, because the consequences of telling the truth would be so much worse than the consequences of lying. So that "thought experiment" confirms the utilitarian hypothesis and contradicts the Kantian hypothesis. It is of value not because we are particularly interested in what to do when accosted by murderers, but because thinking about how we would react in such a situation sheds light on our ethical principles. Another "thought experiment" is the story of the doctor in a mountain shack, who has five people all about to die for want of organ transplants. A healthy man walks in, so the doctor kills him and uses his organs to save the others. Assuming that the operations were guaranteed to succeed, and that there was definitely no other way of saving the patients, did the doctor do the right thing or not? Here most people would say that he did not. And this suggests that there's something wrong with utilitarianism, at least in the form I just described it, because the doctor did what was right according to utilitarianism: if he hadn't acted, five people would have died, but because of his actions, only one person died. It seems, then, that he chose the action with the best possible consequences. And yet we think he did the wrong thing. So that is a "thought experiment" that suggests that utilitarianism is wrong. Again, it is of interest not because we care about this implausible situation, but because our reactions to that implausible situation shed light on our everyday ethical intuitions. It is literally an experiment to test a hypothesis, although the experiment consists only of imagining a situation.

To say that these thought experiments are valueless because they are contrived and don't reflect real life is like saying that scientific experiments are valueless for the same reason. If somebody said that scientific experiments are a waste of time because all they tell is is what happens in laboratories, and we don't care about that, then it would be obvious that they had misunderstood the point of scientific experiments and how they are constructed carefully to test hypotheses about the real world. It's the same thing with thought experiments in philosophy.

Anyway, I have to say it's increasingly clear that you really haven't read any philosophical ethics. Perhaps you should test the hypothesis that it's all valueless preachifyin' by conducting the experiment of reading some, and seeing if it confirms the hypothesis or not.

Also, I should point out that philosophical ethics is an enormous and very popular field, not just within philosophy. I'd say that about three quarters of the jobs currently being advertised in philosophy are for ethics specialists. Not only that, but a great number of these are for people who can teach applied ethics - business ethics, bio-ethics, legal ethics, and political ethics especially - in university courses for non-philosophers. Education providers and students alike recognise that practical ethics is a vital component of subjects such as business, medicine, law, and politics, and they want people to teach it. How can you explain this demand on the assumption that philosophical ethics is just a load of airy-fairy moralising and made-up sermons? Why would business teachers or law professors want that their students to be exposed to that?

The reason I have so little confidence in ethics is because it changes depending on the prevailing times. As recently as a generation ago, for example, it was socially acceptable to be openly bigotted. And until just 150 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable to own slaves and believe it was for their own good as much as yours. Until the 20th century, it was acceptable to beat your wife. These were the customs of their times, and those behaviors were considered ethical and moral. (To me, these terms are one and the same, and the differences are purely semantic.) Does this mean that people in the 21st century are more ethical than in the past? I doubt it, because those people were behaving in a manner consistent with prevailing expectations, just as people do today. And if ethics has so long been a part of philosophy, why has there been, for so long, such depravity?

Of course people's ethical views change, but what's this got to do with philosophy? In fact you might be surprised at how much philosophical ethics has often gone against the grain of society's views; witness, for example, Jeremy Bentham's views on the ethical treatment of animals (which are far more like our own than those that were prevalent in his day), or Bertrand Russell's on sexual morality. They were more enlightened than most of their contemporaries for the simple reason that they thought about these things in an objective, careful, and undogmatic way. Of course philosophers are human like anyone else and they often let their prejudices get in the way; an example is Hume's (brief but toxic) defence of racist principles. But the point of being a philosopher is that you are trained to try to minimise this and to think about things carefully and rationally. I think that in the field of ethics philosophers have succeeded in doing so more often than they have failed. If there has always been, continues to be, and no doubt always will be, such depravity in society, then that's because most people aren't philosophers and aren't willing to try to think beyond their prejudices. You can't blame philosophy for that!

I would have to be denser than a singularity to not notice what society expects of me. And so I recognize what is considered ethical.

But you overlook the fact that even within society there are disagreements over what is ethical. You surely have noticed that there are rather big disagreements over, for example, gay rights, abortion, euthanasia, the treatment of prisoners, the treatment of prisoners of war, war itself, fox hunting, health care, the preservation of the environment, contraception, bankers' bonuses, politicians' perks, and innumerable other things. So what is ethical behaviour? Just looking at society won't tell you, because society itself can't agree! Should these things be decided by who can shout the loudest? Isn't it better to think rationally about them?

Observation suggests that people will act in a manner most advantageous to them, not necessarily what is just and fair. And then they will publically behave in a manner consistent with what is expected of them, wherever their ethics might be in deficit with such action.

I don't think this is true at all. If a good friend of yours came to you for help, being in some kind of difficulty, would your decision whether or not to help her be based solely upon whether such an action would (a) help you, and (b) be in accordance with what society expects? Wouldn't you have any thought at all for (c) your friend herself? Wouldn't you care in the slightest about her and her wellbeing, and only think about yourself and society? Of course you'd care about her - that's what friends do. So that would be a moral consideration. A person who doesn't have that consideration at all would be a psychopath, and we apply that term not simply to express that we disapprove of the behaviour of such a person but to indicate that they are literally pathological in some way: they lack something that a normal person has, namely the ability to regard other people as valuable in themselves, and a sense of altruism or the worth of helping other people for their own sake and not simply for selfish reasons.

Not only would you take such a moral consideration into account in that situation, it is surely not beyond the realms of possibility that you might even help your friend even though it didn't help you yourself and might even be disapproved of by society. People do do that sometimes. So I don't agree with your view. Common sense tells us that people do, in fact, act altruistically sometimes - perhaps even quite often. To suggest, as you imply, that people never face genuine moral choices, but merely walk through life guided by calculations about how to maximise their own benefit and fit in with society, is just as much at odds with observation as it is horrific.

I know; I assume that's why it is mentioned in the OP. (And if you’d have followed my earlier What is philosophy? thread you might have noticed I’ve referred to it myself .) I'd be more interested in your view on the particular course I linked to however – which, by the way, is based on Russell’s The value of philosophy. (Perhaps an interesting read for Nanocyborgasm?)

I don't think I saw that thread - I don't habituate OT except when following links from elsewhere. I haven't had time to look at the course you mentioned but I'll try to do so.

On Russell, I like this short passage:

Bertrand Russell said:
In schools and universities information of all sorts is ladled out, but no one is taught to reason, or to consider what is evidence for what. To any person with even the vaguest idea of the nature of scientific evidence, such beliefs as those of astrologers are of course impossible. But so are most of the beliefs upon which governments are based, such as the peculiar merit of persons living in a certain area, or of persons whose income exceeds a certain sum. It would not do to teach people to reason correctly, since the result would be to undermine these beliefs. If these beliefs were to fade, mankind might escape disaster, but politicians could not. At all costs, therefore, we must be kept stupid.

And that, of course, is why even the impractical areas of philosophy are really practical after all.

But philosophy works in the same way. The difference is one of degree, not kind. In both science and philosophy, you can't just make up some idea and wiffle about it vaguely until you've forced everyone to agree out of pure boredom (well, maybe in Continental philosophy, but we won't go there). You have to support it with arguments.

Despite this rigor, it hasn't stopped philosophers from proposing all sorts of far-fetched ideas, and to be taken seriously. I am reading one of those right now (πολιτεία). Not that philosophers are exclusive to this domain. You can find plenty of crackpot theories in psychology which are still taken seriously today, such as psychoanalysis.

In philosophy too, you see phenomena which you seek to explain. In the case of ethics the basic phenomena are our ethical intuitions - our beliefs that certain things are right and others are wrong. Ethicists try to come up with theories about what makes some things right and some things wrong that fit these intuitions. For example, utilitarians believe that what makes an action right or wrong is its consequences. An action is good insofar as it brings about good consequences, and bad insofar as it brings about bad ones; and in any situation, the thing you ought to do is the one that will do the most good. (That's a simple form of act utilitarianism.) So that's the hypothesis. It seems roughly to match our intuitions: we do think that actions that do good are themselves right to do, and that actions that do harm are themselves wrong to do. Then one tests this hypothesis by imagining "test" situations.

That's all very nice but doesn't fit well with the reality that ethics have changed over time. These "intuitions" are nothing more than the internalized beliefs of what is expected of people in a society. Philosophers can go on all they like about which ethics are "best" but that is immaterial to the society that utilizes them. This is the reason why, despite their protests throughout the ages, their impact on ethics has been minimal.

Anyway, I have to say it's increasingly clear that you really haven't read any philosophical ethics. Perhaps you should test the hypothesis that it's all valueless preachifyin' by conducting the experiment of reading some, and seeing if it confirms the hypothesis or not.

That's what I'm doing. While I'm at it, I'll let you know when I run into a philosopher who's not blatantly biased.

Of course people's ethical views change, but what's this got to do with philosophy?

You can redeem yourself by citing any work of any western philosopher, prior to 200 AD, that clearly states that slavery is an injustice and needs to be banned.

But you overlook the fact that even within society there are disagreements over what is ethical.

I'm all too aware of it. That's why I pointed out to you that ethics change with times. If there were never disagreements, they'd still be the same.

My observations, which are little different from most, are that most people act in a manner that is most advantageous to them, most of the time. Their worst excesses are curbed by social constraint. The typical human is primarily concerned with survival, and therefore selfish interests. Altruism only finds use in selected circumstances, such as in a crisis. This is another reason why I find discussions of ethics pointless, and those who frequently cite ethics or morality are suspect to me.

And as for the Russell quote: yeah, good luck teaching some people to think.

As per ethics: notions on what constitutes ethical behaviour do change over time (which, by the way, suggests a certain progress). What any of this has to do with philosophy is another matter entirely: it is not philosophers that govern the world - nor do they aspire to.

If they have changed over time, it means they have no basis in reason, but in the environment of the time. And it means that whatever philosophers may reason has had no appreciable impact, which itself implies that whatever they may believe of the nature of ethics is not consistent with reality. I am more keen to believe that philosophers have been chasing ethics rather than the other way around.

Plotinus, what is th strongest criticism of Ethical and Psychological Hedonism out there in your opinion?

That's all very nice but doesn't fit well with the reality that ethics have changed over time. These "intuitions" are nothing more than the internalized beliefs of what is expected of people in a society.

Well, I'd like to see your evidence for that assertion.

You can redeem yourself by citing any work of any western philosopher, prior to 200 AD, that clearly states that slavery is an injustice and needs to be banned.

Alcidamas did, although he would normally be considered a rhetorician rather than a philosopher - though in antiquity the distinction between the two was very blurred. Still, I don't see what your challenge is supposed to achieve, in particular why I need to "redeem" myself or why finding an example of a pre-AD 200 philosopher who opposed slavery would do this. What is your argument?

My observations, which are little different from most, are that most people act in a manner that is most advantageous to them, most of the time. Their worst excesses are curbed by social constraint. The typical human is primarily concerned with survival, and therefore selfish interests. Altruism only finds use in selected circumstances, such as in a crisis. This is another reason why I find discussions of ethics pointless, and those who frequently cite ethics or morality are suspect to me.

Then all I can say to that is that I disagree.

And as for the Russell quote: yeah, good luck teaching some people to think.

Believe me, dipping my toe into OT invariably causes me to despair of that.

If they have changed over time, it means they have no basis in reason, but in the environment of the time.

No, that is a poor inference. Scientific views have changed over time - there was a time when everyone thought that the sun revolved around the earth, and now they do not. It does not follow from this that scientific views have no basis in reason. So the mere fact that ethical views have changed does not, in itself, prove that they have no basis in reason. Perhaps they have changed because people have discovered more ethical truths, just as they have in science. That would be consistent with them changing. If you think that they've changed for non-rational reasons you need to provide more evidence than this alone.

And it means that whatever philosophers may reason has had no appreciable impact, which itself implies that whatever they may believe of the nature of ethics is not consistent with reality.

This is inconsistent with what you've said yourself. You've said (a) many people are not very good at critical thinking, and (b) almost everyone is basically selfish, with little or no altruistic sentiment, and little or no interest in acting ethically. So if these two things are the case, you wouldn't expect the conclusions of philosophers in the field of ethics to make much impact upon society as whole, because everyone would be too stupid to understand them or too selfish to act upon them. So the fact that philosophers have made little impact in this field is perfectly consistent with their views being quite correct - at least, according to your own principles.

Plotinus, what is th strongest criticism of Ethical and Psychological Hedonism out there in your opinion?

I don't know - I am not an expert in ethics. I'm sure Fifty knows more about this. At a guess I would say the most obvious criticism is that people sometimes, perhaps often, do things that appear to cause them less pleasure, or even more pain, than they would otherwise experience - for altruistic reasons, perhaps.

I don't know - I am not an expert in ethics. I'm sure Fifty knows more about this. At a guess I would say the most obvious criticism is that people sometimes, perhaps often, do things that appear to cause them less pleasure, or even more pain, than they would otherwise experience - for altruistic reasons, perhaps.

Ok then, Fifty, the same question at you, What is your view on Ethical and Psychological hedonism?

I was watching a debate between philosophers on some theoretical issues around the theory of natural selection. However, one of the points made during the debate stood out more generally as a controversial and perhaps presumptuous thing to say:

Going to the biologists [to understand the theory of natural selection] is a very bad idea…they don’t know how to describe what they’re doing, even as well as we [philosophers] can.

I mean, if you want to do aesthetics, don’t look at what painters say about what they’re doing when they’re painting, because it’s all crap…Platonism, “expressing the deepest impulses of the soul,” “connecting at the human level and so forth,” and all this stuff is no good at all. The last person to ask how you do x, is someone who’s good at doing x. What you want to do is let him do x, watch him carefully, think through what he says, and maybe you’ll get a reconstruction, and maybe you won’t.

The quote is from 55:47.

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/26848

Is this to deny that the phenomenological aspect of what, say, a painter is doing, is important? Can you really grasp aesthetics without it? Isn't this a bit like asking someone playing Civ what they see, and when they say "I see cities, units, terrain; I'm attacking the enemy" you say, "no, stupid; you're looking at pixels and shuffling around ones and zeroes in your computer's RAM. I know why you said what you did, but this is what you're really doing."

Or, for another example, there are plenty of people who spend their lives studying music theory but who will never hold a tune or rhythm like someone who is a natural. I think there is an understanding to be had on both sides, but can we really say that the theoretician better understands what the savant is doing?

And that is also not to say that the artist does not have the exact formal understanding of his art that a theoretician thinks he would lack. Is it a coincidence that, say, Baroque music was the way it was when there existed a highly formalized tradition of styles and tonality, written notation, principles of harmony, counterpoint, etc.? Obviously for some people there is something aesthetic to Bach. You can look at the chord notation and voice leading and the pure systematic elegance of it all day, but it also has an aesthetic value to it. It's..."Bach." In other words, the systematization of music is not just a way to "understand what Bach was doing," because it's not like Bach was ignorant to it in the first place. Baroque music was Baroque because it followed certain formalities, of which the musicians and composers were very well aware.

Well, I'd like to see your evidence for that assertion.

This is the standard school of thought in history and anthropology. It can be observed, as an example, in the transition of theological belief between Classical Greece, Hellenism, and the later Roman Empire. This transition was based in large part on the changing scope of government, which became more centralized and larger, causing the gods to take up properties that were more singular and of greater scope, and culminating in Christianity. It's a broad topic and I can't go into specific right on the spot, but suffice it to say that I am not suggesting anything new.

Alcidamas did, although he would normally be considered a rhetorician rather than a philosopher - though in antiquity the distinction between the two was very blurred. Still, I don't see what your challenge is supposed to achieve, in particular why I need to "redeem" myself or why finding an example of a pre-AD 200 philosopher who opposed slavery would do this. What is your argument?

If philosophers are so good at discerning a more just ethical code, as you claim, there should be some contemporaries who'd denounce a depravity like slavery. The best you could give me is an obscure Sophist who only believed that the Messenians should be free of servitude to Sparta (and they were strictly not slaves, but helots). Not that all slaves should be free. A paltry example.

No, that is a poor inference. Scientific views have changed over time - there was a time when everyone thought that the sun revolved around the earth, and now they do not. It does not follow from this that scientific views have no basis in reason. So the mere fact that ethical views have changed does not, in itself, prove that they have no basis in reason. Perhaps they have changed because people have discovered more ethical truths, just as they have in science. That would be consistent with them changing. If you think that they've changed for non-rational reasons you need to provide more evidence than this alone.

In fact, the scientific method was not widespread until the Renaissance, so even though Eratosthenes proved not only heliocentrism but a spherical earth in the 3rd century BC, everyone laughed at him because the idea of testing any scientific idea was as good as laughable in those days. Science and philosophy were considered as good as the same, and rational argument was the only worthwhile exercise. One can also argue that Semmelweis proved scientifically, with randomized clinical trials, that infection can be minimized with handwashing. Yet, in his day, everyone laughed at him, because evidence based medicine did not functionally exist until about 1970. So one can argue that the outlandish beliefs of the past were outlandish because no real science was being practiced.

This is inconsistent with what you've said yourself. You've said (a) many people are not very good at critical thinking, and (b) almost everyone is basically selfish, with little or no altruistic sentiment, and little or no interest in acting ethically. So if these two things are the case, you wouldn't expect the conclusions of philosophers in the field of ethics to make much impact upon society as whole, because everyone would be too stupid to understand them or too selfish to act upon them. So the fact that philosophers have made little impact in this field is perfectly consistent with their views being quite correct - at least, according to your own principles.

Absolutely true, because people have never turned to philosophy to form their ethical opinions. That suggests that the ethics that philosophers talk about exists solely in their imagination, while everyone else has another set.

On Russell, I like this short passage:

Bertrand Russell In schools and universities information of all sorts is ladled out, but no one is taught to reason, or to consider what is evidence for what. To any person with even the vaguest idea of the nature of scientific evidence, such beliefs as those of astrologers are of course impossible. But so are most of the beliefs upon which governments are based, such as the peculiar merit of persons living in a certain area, or of persons whose income exceeds a certain sum. It would not do to teach people to reason correctly, since the result would be to undermine these beliefs. If these beliefs were to fade, mankind might escape disaster, but politicians could not. At all costs, therefore, we must be kept stupid.

And that, of course, is why even the impractical areas of philosophy are really practical after all.

I think Russell is exaggerating a bit, but in essence his observation is quite correct: reasoning isn't taught in schools and only to some extent in universities (I don't see how anyone can defend a thesis without any reasoning). I would even go a small step further by stating that debating seems to be valued more than reasoning.

On (notions of) ethics again:

If they have changed over time, it means they have no basis in reason, but in the environment of the time. And it means that whatever philosophers may reason has had no appreciable impact, which itself implies that whatever they may believe of the nature of ethics is not consistent with reality. I am more keen to believe that philosophers have been chasing ethics rather than the other way around.

I don't think that follows exactly. While ethical behaviour will change over both time and place, that doesn't necessarily imply there's no basis in reason for it. Since conditions change over time, it would be downright doctrinary to keep to ethical behavior that was originally considered suitable for another time. (Also, ofcourse, it is debatable if ethical behaviour has any basis in reason: one might argue pro and contra.) What philosophers formulate on ethics may not have a noticeable impact on their surroundings (one may ask if that is the purpose of philosophy), but that does not imply that their formulations are inconsistent with reality. (E.g. consider the Russell quote.) I'm not sure what you mean by "philosophers have been chasing ethics rather than the other way around"; while it may sound good, I don't think either way is necessarily what philosophers do - or ought to be doing.

I have always believed that philosophy is largely devoid of practical application, but recently have gotten into it on the insistence of a friend. He recommended I read on political philosophy, because he thought I had that kind of mentality. I have already read The Apology of Socrates, Crito, and The Prince, by Machiavelli.

Right now, I'm reading Republic, by Plato, and while I am only halfway through it, I am already unimpressed. Plato, through his mouthpiece Socrates, advocates what can only be described as a totalitarian state in which every citizens surrenders his rights for the benefit of state, but with none for himself. Plato's retort is that he is doing this for the benefit of all as a whole, but then does a poor job of explaining how this State would be so much more beneficial than what had already existed in his time. He's even worse at explaining what makes a "true" philosopher over a fake one, which would put a big dent into his selection of leadership in the guardians. About the only aspect I can agree is that each person should do the job best suited to him, but even there, he falls short of explaining how this will be selected in his State.

My opinion is that too much philosophy is too preoccupied with consideration without testing, and ends up rambling on about nonsense. The only exceptions seem those who least believe themselves philosophers, such as Machiavelli and Hobbes.

I recommend modern writers: Henry Shue, Richard Dworkin, Quentin Skinner, HLA Hart, Cass Sunstein are all writers who today form the basis for modern political philosophy. Shue's "Basic Rights" in particular I find fascinating. Sunstein works for the Obama administration and lectures at Harvard. To say that his philosophical ideas do not affect the world is absurd.

I'm sorry to say it, but Nanocyborgsm's long-winded debate in here is some of the best evidence I've seen in a while for the usefulness of a philosophical education.

Accepted ethical behaviour changes just like accepted scientific knowledge does. Why conclude that you cannot be an ethical realist while maintaining that you can be an epistemological realist? Why is science innocent in dismissing outlandlish beliefs while this is an egregious crime for philosophy?

Why assent to the dominant of theory of ethics in anthropology while reject the dominant theory of ethics in ethics? It seems that the marvelous tale of human development afforded by anthropology is based on much more speculation and assertion then are most nominal ethical theories.

Millions of very intelligent people have turned to ethical theories to regiment their lives. I am a strict Kantian deontologist. I put both happiness and personal advantage well after self-afforded duties. Theories of Games(which you are implying is proper) is again based entirely on percentiles, correlations and probability. There is no certainty to be found there. Basing any ethical code on such probability is an example of the is/ought fallacy and is furthermore completely unreliable given the fact that people behave as agents.

Sunstein works for the Obama administration and lectures at Harvard. To say that his philosophical ideas do not affect the world is absurd.

I find no absurdity here. I have no way of knowing whether he is affecting the world, or the world is affecting him. I confess I don't keep up with his book-a-year habit, but in his Nudge e.g., I see nothing but old marketing tricks dressed up in new language. In "modern political philosophy" I likewise see nothing new, only a different weighting of the various factors of political life, and scads of new jargon.
I see the same thing in "modern ethics" - nothing that could be called an advance, just a shifting in sensibilites.
I am a strict Kantian deontologist.
My last dog was a strict Kantian, who well understood the joy of duty. My current dog is a Catahoula with a more earthy morality; she's much more fun.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If a fat girl falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, do the trees laugh?

I recommend modern writers: Henry Shue, Richard Dworkin, Quentin Skinner, HLA Hart, Cass Sunstein are all writers who today form the basis for modern political philosophy. Shue's "Basic Rights" in particular I find fascinating. Sunstein works for the Obama administration and lectures at Harvard. To say that his philosophical ideas do not affect the world is absurd.

I'm sorry to say it, but Nanocyborgsm's long-winded debate in here is some of the best evidence I've seen in a while for the usefulness of a philosophical education.

Accepted ethical behaviour changes just like accepted scientific knowledge does. Why conclude that you cannot be an ethical realist while maintaining that you can be an epistemological realist? Why is science innocent in dismissing outlandlish beliefs while this is an egregious crime for philosophy?

Why assent to the dominant of theory of ethics in anthropology while reject the dominant theory of ethics in ethics? It seems that the marvelous tale of human development afforded by anthropology is based on much more speculation and assertion then are most nominal ethical theories.

Millions of very intelligent people have turned to ethical theories to regiment their lives. I am a strict Kantian deontologist. I put both happiness and personal advantage well after self-afforded duties. Theories of Games(which you are implying is proper) is again based entirely on percentiles, correlations and probability. There is no certainty to be found there. Basing any ethical code on such probability is an example of the is/ought fallacy and is furthermore completely unreliable given the fact that people behave as agents.

I believe you mean Ronald Dworkin.

I don't think that follows exactly. While ethical behaviour will change over both time and place, that doesn't necessarily imply there's no basis in reason for it. Since conditions change over time, it would be downright doctrinary to keep to ethical behavior that was originally considered suitable for another time. (Also, ofcourse, it is debatable if ethical behaviour has any basis in reason: one might argue pro and contra.) What philosophers formulate on ethics may not have a noticeable impact on their surroundings (one may ask if that is the purpose of philosophy), but that does not imply that their formulations are inconsistent with reality. (E.g. consider the Russell quote.) I'm not sure what you mean by "philosophers have been chasing ethics rather than the other way around"; while it may sound good, I don't think either way is necessarily what philosophers do - or ought to be doing.

All this implies that philosophy is nothing more than a casual entertaining discussion with no useful outcome. In a roundabout way, you've just agreed with me.

Thanks.

Contrary to what you believe, I received a complete liberal education, which included philosophy. But one thing which is consistent is the same level of bias, arrogance, and condescention in that professor as among the lot of you. And the only reason I have picked this topic up again is because I've befriended someone who is the first I've met to demonstrate philosophic impartiality.

It wouldn't be a crime if supposedly obsolete philosophies were not taken seriously.

I don't know that it's the dominant theory. It's a school of thought that I subscribe to, as it makes the most sense to me out of internal and external consistency. Just like realism is a theory of international relations that's widespread, but is not the only one.

And as for speculation, I'd like to know what amounts to field work with philosophy. Not that I'm so enamored by anthropology, but it strikes me as insulting that you accuse it of being idle speculation.

You of all people should know that popularity is no evidence of validity. Millions of people once followed a deranged racist dictator, and many of them quite intelligent, including at least 1 Nobel Prize winner. Thousands of Icelanders believe in elves. That doesn't make Iceland a land of morons. Intelligent people around the world have all sorts of unsubstantiated religious beliefs and notions.

I find no absurdity here. I have no way of knowing whether he is affecting the world, or the world is affecting him. I confess I don't keep up with his book-a-year habit, but in his Nudge e.g., I see nothing but old marketing tricks dressed up in new language. In "modern political philosophy" I likewise see nothing new, only a different weighting of the various factors of political life, and scads of new jargon.
I see the same thing in "modern ethics" - nothing that could be called an advance, just a shifting in sensibilites.

My last dog was a strict Kantian, who well understood the joy of duty. My current dog is a Catahoula with a more earthy morality; she's much more fun.

I have no doubt that people who hate Kant are more fun than people like myself.

I believe you mean Ronald Dworkin.

I believe you are absolutely correct.

Contrary to what you believe, I received a complete liberal education, which included philosophy. But one thing which is consistent is the same level of bias, arrogance, and condescention in that professor as among the lot of you. And the only reason I have picked this topic up again is because I've befriended someone who is the first I've met to demonstrate philosophic impartiality.

I don't care if you think I'm arrogant. I care that I am right.

It wouldn't be a crime if supposedly obsolete philosophies were not taken seriously.
I agree. However that statement is not very coherent with other statements you've made thus far.
I don't know that it's the dominant theory. It's a school of thought that I subscribe to, as it makes the most sense to me out of internal and external consistency. Just like realism is a theory of international relations that's widespread, but is not the only one.

And as for speculation, I'd like to know what amounts to field work with philosophy. Not that I'm so enamored by anthropology, but it strikes me as insulting that you accuse it of being idle speculation.
But that is what it is. They claim that the world is x, y, z. They then infer that x, y, z are good. That induction cannot occur here. A grand constructivist narrative of socio-history cannot be a stand-in for ethics. It is the dominant theory in anthropology by the way.

I'm not sure why 'field work' is preferable to any other sort of intellectual work. If anyone is biased here it is you.

You of all people should know that popularity is no evidence of validity. Millions of people once followed a deranged racist dictator, and many of them quite intelligent, including at least 1 Nobel Prize winner. Thousands of Icelanders believe in elves. That doesn't make Iceland a land of morons. Intelligent people around the world have all sorts of unsubstantiated religious beliefs and notions.

That is all gossamer.
Your claim was that no one used ethical theories. I know of at least one person who does, and have good indications to believe many more do. I disproved your claim.

All this implies that philosophy is nothing more than a casual entertaining discussion with no useful outcome. In a roundabout way, you've just agreed with me.

Again, nothing of what you seem to think is implied, is. (And if I'd agree with you I'd simply say: I agree.)

Yet your supposedly complete education (you've mentioned yourself you've read only a few ancient and pre-modern philosphical writers) does not show in your reasoning, which is full of generalisations, as pointed out by Plotinus, and me here:

I can't help to notice that you seem to have certain preconceived notions about what philosophy is, which however do not conform to the actual state of philosophy - as Plotinus already pointed out. I suggest actually checking out some of the links recently provided prior to continuing this ongoing debate. That seems like a fruitful approach - to me at least.

As per ethics: notions on what constitutes ethical behaviour do change over time (which, by the way, suggests a certain progress).

To which I might add that scientific ideas change over time; that does not imply that science is useless. The same applies to religious ideas, etc. Yet you seem to make an exception in the case of philosophy, when applied to ethics. That's both inconsistent and illogical

And while this may be very interesting theoretically it's also rather irrelevant.

Young grasshopper, you would be better served to dwell in the question than to be given easy answers, but I will try to help you...

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?

Fourteen, because pianos don't have windows.

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Fap. Fap. Fap.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

The willow tree sways in the wind.

If a fat girl falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, do the trees laugh?

Most definitely.

Top Bottom