Atheist Who Loves Religion: Please Advise

I'm borderline atheist, but I absolutely love religion in this game. Go figure.

In reality, no one is an athiest. `Athiests` are just people desperately trying to ignore the obvious all around them..

In reality, no one is an athiest. `Athiests` are just people desperately trying to ignore the obvious all around them..
nopenopenopenopenope I'm not going to stick around and watch an off-topic flame-war unfold....!

I quite enjoy changing the name of the religion in the game. In my recent conquest game I named my religion "an eye for an eye" so that the dialogue box would come up saying "Civ XYZ wants an eye for an eye" at which point I felt obliged to give it to them!

Nonreligious and not a fan of religion IRL, but fantasy religions always interest me.

The fact we can make up our own religion more or less in this game is awesome (rather than being shoed into a religion based on tech in Civ4, thank <insert deity> for Beyond the Sword's options!), and regardless of the Civ I always try to be one of the founders of a religion.

I just wish there were more symbols to choose from, especially in the Medieval paganism department. Baltic, Celtic, and Norse would be in the top three, in these forms or other forms. :D

I quite enjoy changing the name of the religion in the game. In my recent conquest game I named my religion "an eye for an eye" so that the dialogue box would come up saying "Civ XYZ wants an eye for an eye" at which point I felt obliged to give it to them!

Yes I like the ability to get very creative with those names.

"Vatican City wants The D..."

I definitely change the name, too. Not as creative as Mesix was in that department, but I had fun smashing together some High Valyrian words to form a name that made it feel more mystical. It just wouldn't feel the same to hear someone asking or converting to Confucianism. It's odd, and it makes me wish the AI named their own too (very generically, of course).

And yes, I know what you mean about making up our own: that's the main reason why I enjoy religion in this game. I wish you could also create your own civilization besides just renaming it and the cities! I really do wish they had some more icons, too. Throw in some of the ones you mentioned but also some completely fictitious ones. Other than that, my main joy comes from attempting to create one world religion (Rome and Mecca are both under its sway, e.g.). Unfortunately, I'm bound to end up a hypocrite by having to cripple another's religion in order to do it.

I've been such a tree-hugging pacifist in this game, but the AI does a good job at pushing my buttons to the point that I'm about to start over and paint the map with holy warriors and petroleum. If anything, it'd be good for the experience, which I can use in this game.

Another good one for a conquest game is "XYZ want a good kicking"

Another good one for a conquest game is "XYZ want a good kicking"

Come now, Mesix. Don't you feel there's enough violence in this game... in this world? Let us rethink this. Why not "XYZ wants a hug"? Then you can give them their hug, unleash the doves and butterflies, and do a happy dance beneath rainbows and sunshine.

That was painful to write. XYZ just needs a slow, painful, rectal pounding, but I'm thinking you can't fit all those characters in. Perhaps I'll just found "Rectal Pounding" instead. Everyone needs one at some point, yes? :mischief:

Top Bottom