• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

ATI Raedon 9800 and it works! There is hope :)

stumben

Chieftain
Ok guys, there is hope! Heres my scoop.

First off, I have windows 2k. I just did a CLEAN install of windows 2k. I had to do it anyway, my machine was a mess - I did not even ATTEMPT to run this game before. I am getting a new machine in 3 weeks so I did not bother to get windows xp.

All I did since the fresh install
1.Download windows 2k service pack 4.
2.Downloaded the latest ATI driver. - 5.10. Note I am not sure if this is the same as the "latest" release to patch quake 4.
3.Downloaded the latest SB live sound card drivers ( I have the OLD sb live )
4.Installed Civilization IV - let it install direct X. Express install I did not check the multiplayer firewall option.
5.Ran Civilization IV
6.Prayed
7.Watched the breathtaking opening music,movie, started up a single player game, ran quite GOOD so far! Nice graphics, NO ERRORS at all. granted I played for a whopping 2 minutes.
8. Came right to post this :)

Now for some system specs.
Athalon 1.8 thunderbird ( oldy but a goody )
512 Ram
ATI Raedon 9800 128mb
Soundblaster Live
Fresh install of Windows 2k service pack 4 as stated above.

I might note, that of late I have had some bizarre driver issues since I attempted to play F.E.A.R and let it install the latest direct X. Certain games would pop up strange ati errors and nothing I could do fixed it until this fresh reformat. I am not saying this is at all related.

I am also not implying that a fresh re-format should be required to fix the renderer issue so many are having.

But, I am implying, it may require specific drivers with specific video cards with specific OS - until they patch and get it straight.

Hope this helps, I just want to add, the game looks amazing...so far.

**edit - I will stick around for a little while in case anyone wants some more info. I really really REALLY feel for the frustrated people who cant run the game yet***

Crud... I'm not sure I can get 2kSP4 ... I've had some issues w/ Windows Update...

...but I should check to see if Nvidia has a newer driver... (128MB Nvidia -- otherwise my machine is almost EXACTLY like yours)...

...of course, installing the OS over again is pretty extreme...I've got some more stuff to try...

9600 Pro 128 meg
512 DDR400
Barton XP 2800
WinXP SP1

Game runs fine. OMEGA drivers, 4.7 or 4.9 I can't remember. but not in the 5's.

Top Bottom