Atlantis?

Wrong. Tiahuanuco has traces of a much earlier city below it; Red sea was dry much as the Med was once; the Bal al Mandab (sp?) was closed during the ice age, and it had no major rivers into it... Thus Ice age comes, it's dry.

A)that early city dosent count- it was built by chupracabras

seriouslly though, how old is it? it wont date past the european iron age, I'll bet you $50 on that

B)when was the red sea as dry as the med- because when the firts humans were crossing over to arbia, thier was a red sea- smaller, but still thier, and offerign no basis for atlantis, or even areas of island sinside it

*note, edited my response, to actually have a point, and not be stupid

Xen said:
A)that early city dosent count- it was built by chupracabras

seriouslly though, how old is it? it wont date past the european iron age, I'll bet you $50 on that

B)when was the red sea as dry as the med- because when the firts humans were crossing over to arbia, thier was a red sea- smaller, but still thier, and offerign no basis for atlantis, or even areas of island sinside it

A) Um... I forget. Some book claims it is about 9,000 to 10,000 years old, but I don't believe it. I might place it at a few thousand. This meaning that it would be in time for Atlantis.

B) Ice Age (ten). Like I said, read Pastwatch, by Orson Scot Card. Might be fiction, but it posits an interesting theory. At your local library, almost certainly. ;)

North King said:
A) Um... I forget. Some book claims it is about 9,000 to 10,000 years old, but I don't believe it. I might place it at a few thousand. This meaning that it would be in time for Atlantis.

B) Ice Age (ten). Like I said, read Pastwatch, by Orson Scot Card. Might be fiction, but it posits an interesting theory. At your local library, almost certainly. ;)

A)"some book" wont cut it- at least give me a web link to evidence that claims it to be that old- because considering agriculture wasnt even in the area at that time, such a claim is absurd- my book to back me up onthat woudl none other then the prolific book "guns, germs, ans steel"- honestlly about the best beeok on the development of civlization that i have ever read.

B) a)as you siad its fiction, baey fiction with an interestign theory, but fiction noen the less

b)it isnt corraborated int he lsightest by geology- duirng the ice age, africa and the middle east werent actually connected, but seperated by a relitivlly flat, leval surfurs nightmare- a med sea like sea- that was passable, but reather unremarkable geology wise

actually I have adjust Be, i confused it for early in th eMiocene period then it was- duitng the ice age, it was essentially even worse- it a was abif all lake, connected in the south by east africa to arabia, and up in the sianai peninsula, bu was apperntlly as fiarlyl modern day levals geology wise

regardless though- this was all still before the development of argirculture

Age of Mythology gives a location for Atlantis which is located west of spain. Is that true that Atlantis was located west of the coast of spain or is it inaccurate?
Whats so special about Atlantis?

Being realistic, Tihaunaco dates back only from the 100 b.C. Older culture in that zone, know as Guañape, capable of working ceramics and with primitive notions of agriculture dates back from 1250 b.C. In fact, the oldest ceramic found in Peru is dated (radiocarbon) around that year.

Anyway, leaving aside the dates, I think Platon says very clear Atlantis is "in front of Hercules Pilars" so, the Gibraltar Straight. If we are going to give some credit to Platon I would go with the theories talking about the Gulf of Cadiz or even some islands in that zone of the Atlantic Ocean, so, Azores, Canarias and going further Bahamas.

As a curiosity, you can see here a schematic representation of the Atlantis as was described by Platon, and below a common petroglyph frequently found in the Iberian Peninsula (the oldest of those petroglyphs is dated about 6000 b.C.) :

Attachments

• a1a.jpg
    a1a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 158
Lonkut said:
Age of Mythology gives a location for Atlantis which is located west of spain. Is that true that Atlantis was located west of the coast of spain or is it inaccurate?
Whats so special about Atlantis?

There was a very powerful Civilization in what is now known as the Spanish province of Cádiz and Seville (I think). It was the Kingdom of Tartessos. This is extremely well documented. This could very well be the Civilization in which Plato based his Atlantis fable. The physical description of the layout in concentric circles match his description of the lost city. Albeit, who knows...?

Hey Thorgalaeg, do you like my new signature ? Not blasphemous at all this time, eh ?

:goodjob:

The physical description of the layout in concentric circles match his description of the lost city.
What do you refer? I think there is no ruins of Tartessic cities.

It still doesn't answer my question: Whats so special about Atlantis?
I have no idea what plato has written about Atlantis, so thats why I am asking.

i still think that atlantis was in the middle of atlatic

Drakan said:
Atlantis was a powerful kingdom in the time of the Greeks or sometime earlier that was sunk under the waves by a catacliscm. There's nothing more than that, it could just be a myth, a fantasy or perhapos true, no one knows for sure.
There is no credible evidence for any civilization anywhere, that is older than those found in Middle East and dated beginning around 3,000 BCE.

Birdjaguar said:
There is no credible evidence for any civilization anywhere, that is older than those found in Middle East and dated beginning around 3,000 BCE.

I wrote:

"Atlantis was a powerful kingdom in the time of the Greeks or sometime earlier that was sunk under the waves by a catacliscm. There's nothing more than that, it could just be a myth, a fantasy or perhapos true, no one knows for sure. Links to Tartessos AND ATLANTIS:"

3.000 b.C. IS NOT the time of the Greeks or sometime earlier. As I wrote, it was probably one more of many Greek myths and legends. Perhaps Plato inspired himself in the inhabitants of Crete who, it seems, were greatly affected by earthquakes from time to time.

It seems Sumerian civilization dates back from 5000 b.C or even earlier. In Eridu was found a temple tipically sumerian dated around 4500-5000 B.C, and there are older ruins in lower levels of the same archeological deposit.

Also there were urban civilizations since 7000 or 6000 b.C. I am thinking in Jerico, Catal Huyuk, or Mohenjo Daro among others.

Drakan said:
I wrote:

in the time of the Greeks or sometime earlier

3.000 b.C. IS NOT the time of the Greeks or sometime earlier. As I wrote, it was probably one more of many Greek myths and legends. Perhaps Plato inspired himself in the inhabitants of Crete who, it seems, were greatly affected by earthquakes from time to time.
Oops! Next time I will wear my glasses. Please pardon my error.

Thorgalaeg said:
It seems Sumerian civilization dates back from 5000 b.C or even earlier. In Eridu was found a temple tipically sumerian dated around 4500-5000 B.C, and there are older ruins in lower levels of the same archeological deposit.

Also there were urban civilizations since 7000 or 6000 b.C. I am thinking in Jerico, Catal Huyuk, or Mohenjo Daro among others.

I like to link civilzation to writing which appeared about 3000 BC. Of course, people lived and worked in sumer and other places prior to inventing writing. I would call the earlier locations "cultures" and not "civilizations".

Then Incas were not a civilization for you?

Top Bottom