AtomicGamer

Maimonides

Emperor
Long story short: CIV III scenario files posted on 3DDownloads have been moved to AtomicGamer, but the scenario files posted on AtomicGamer are all "invalid or corrupt."

I've tried downloading several Civ III files over the last couple of weeks from AtomicGamer unsuccessfully. The wait time is much longer than it was at 3DDownloads. After the download, I get the message, "The folder you have downloaded is invalid or corrupt." I'm only downloading .zip files as I can't figure out how to open .rar files. I never had a problem getting .zip files from 3DDownloads.

Player created content for Civ III is the reason I visit CFC. There are still many player scenarios I want to play. Will AtomicGamer be fixed, can the files be moved to a site that works or is CFC out of business for me?

I don't know myself.
.rar files open with WinRar, or 7-zip. I prefer the latter, as it has support for more compressed file types than WinRar.
Both a free, and you can find them both with a google search.

You really should consider a different archiving program like Derf stated because RAR is pretty common and allows for greater compression than a zip. A lot of the most popular mods/scenario's are being hosted at Storm Over Civilization of course not all of them because storage and bandwidth can become very expensive but maybe you might want to take a look.

Long story short: CIV III scenario files posted on 3DDownloads have been moved to AtomicGamer, but the scenario files posted on AtomicGamer are all "invalid or corrupt."

I've tried downloading several Civ III files over the last couple of weeks from AtomicGamer unsuccessfully. The wait time is much longer than it was at 3DDownloads. After the download, I get the message, "The folder you have downloaded is invalid or corrupt." I'm only downloading .zip files as I can't figure out how to open .rar files. I never had a problem getting .zip files from 3DDownloads.

Strange. I have a problem with 3D, not atomicGamer...:hmm:

I think both those sites are a bit flakey but they are probably a victim of their own popularity. Atomic Gamer seems worse than 3D to me. It's asking me to wait 12 mins before the download even starts.

A free site I can recommend and use is http://www.divshare.com.

I encountered this problem last week and I contacted Atomic Gamer (because it was my files that were proving unobtainable, and I can't have that!). They got back to me and explained that all the CFC stuff from 3D Downloads had been transferred to them but hadn't yet been properly uploaded. I tried my files again and had no problems. So as far as I know, the problem should have been fixed. If you're still having problems, try emailing them.

I agree, though, that it seems more inconvenient than 3D Downloads. I don't understand the rationale of making you wait ten minutes before you can even begin downloading a file.

I agree, though, that it seems more inconvenient than 3D Downloads. I don't understand the rationale of making you wait ten minutes before you can even begin downloading a file.
The rationale (they believe) is that for just a couple of quid a month, you can download without waiting. I'm sure that with so many files on offer, they'll "make a few bob" out of peoples' inpatience.

I don't know myself.
.rar files open with WinRar, or 7-zip. I prefer the latter, as it has support for more compressed file types than WinRar.
Both a free, and you can find them both with a google search.

I appreciate the advice, but I was asking about .zip files on AtomicGamer.

I looked into installing WinRar so i could get Rambuchan's Mughal scenario, but decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe I'll change my mind someday.

You really should consider a different archiving program like Derf stated because RAR is pretty common and allows for greater compression than a zip.

It didn't come preinstalled on my Dell & I haven't been in the mood yet to try to download & install it. Most of the scenarios I want are .zip files anyway.

A lot of the most popular mods/scenario's are being hosted at Storm Over Civilization of course not all of them because storage and bandwidth can become very expensive but maybe you might want to take a look.

Thanks! I didn't know about that site. I already have most of the scenarios there, though.

Strange. I have a problem with 3D, not atomicGamer...:hmm:

Then you're in luck. The Civ files are on AtomicGamer now. I'm still out of luck.:sad:

I think both those sites are a bit flakey but they are probably a victim of their own popularity. Atomic Gamer seems worse than 3D to me. It's asking me to wait 12 mins before the download even starts.

Yeah, I've had wait times of 10 to 16 minutes followed by 10 minute downloads only to find out that the files are all "invalid or corrupted." The longet wait I ever had at 3DDownloads was 10 minutes.

I think one of the scenarios I've been trying unsuccessfully to get is your creation.

A free site I can recommend and use is http://www.divshare.com.

Thanks, but that only helps if the scenario files are moved there. Right now, they're at AtomicGamer & they're all corrupt.

I encountered this problem last week and I contacted Atomic Gamer (because it was my files that were proving unobtainable, and I can't have that!). They got back to me and explained that all the CFC stuff from 3D Downloads had been transferred to them but hadn't yet been properly uploaded. I tried my files again and had no problems. So as far as I know, the problem should have been fixed. If you're still having problems, try emailing them.

I found out about the problem by reading your scenario thread.:) As of yesterday, I still can't get a file from them. If I get desperate enough & the problem isn't fixed, I'll email them. For now, I'm going back & replaying all the scenarios I got bored of way back. The Rood & the Dragon is still fun to play!

My theory was that they are trying to keep their bandwidth down.

The rationale (they believe) is that for just a couple of quid a month, you can download without waiting. I'm sure that with so many files on offer, they'll "make a few bob" out of peoples' inpatience.

I wouldn't pay a wooden nickel for corrupted files...

Also, there are nifty advertisments when you wait in line..

I don't mind someone making a buck. Servers & bandwidth cost money & then there's beer, rock concert tickets, chips at the blackjack table, group therapy to deal with the guilt of hijacking & corrupting all the Civ III scenario files...

I appreciate all the responses, but I'm still looking for an answer: when will AtomicGamer be fixed & how long does it have to be broken before the powers that be move the files to a site that works?

I'm over my addiction to the OT Forum so the only reason CFC is bookmarked is because I love player-made content. I don't want to go back to being addicted to an MMORPG.:lol:

It looks like i was lucky with my files.

Thanks, KingArthur! The download only took a few minutes & I got both of the files in one download.

That scenario is amazing! I've spend my spare time the last week playing it.

The scenario of yours I was actually referring to earlier was Going Viking II. Is it posted on divshare, too?

I emailed AtomicGamer & they responded quickly. I owe them an email ATM, but they said they were testing the Civ files & couldn't find any problems last I heard from them. I still can't download a file from them without it being corrupted... We're still working on it.

Glad you like it. I haven't put GVII on divshare yet. I was working on updating it but I've moved onto another scen. now. If you give me a couple of days I'll upload the current GVII to divshare and you can get it from there. I'll PM you when it's done.

Atomic Gamer seems to be working fine lately; at least for RFRE and a few other download I did over the last week such as LOTM. No long waiting list, fast DL, no corruption. Try again?

Top Bottom