Attila Deity Domination Guide

It was impossible to take Washington with horse archers in that situation. The map was almost as bad as I can imagine, with the 2 warmongers sat behind choke points surrounded by mountains.
I was taking out one American melee unit per turn for several turns, luring them out with workers, and made my assault on T114 and was wiped out quickly by a treb in the city and comp bows whilst struggling through the great wall. The horse archers are a weak defensive unit by T100. I believe it would be an easy win from my final position, either sitting back for the tech advances (and then by conquest or science) or by building a stack of xbows or by changing the victory type.
I dont play civ to win the game, but to win the wargame scenario
Could I have won this? Maybe. I made several mistakes and I wasnt micro managing troop units. I wanted to reduce the size of Hamburg and ended up razing it, as I forgot the Hun's double raze rate :rolleyes:I should prioritize crossbows to back up the final city captures. I should prioritize horse archer attacks for xp to get them all at double shot at range 3. More micromanagement basically, optimizing the strategy.
I will go back to the point where I took out the Aztecs, just to see, I am curious to know. When I have time...
go for longswordmen + trebuchets, you don't need crossbows after you have logistic horsearcher

One way of dealing with the Great Wall is to build a Settler and found a city as near it as you can, then use Great General citadels to extend your territory as far towards the enemy city as possible. Ideally, plant a citadel right next to the enemy city, so units garrisoned inside it take damage every turn. This is obviously an approach that is easiest if you have gone Honor and are getting plenty of Great Generals.

If you are not getting good maps, you might like to try HellBlazer's map script, which is a lot better than the normal ones. Google it, you should be able to find it quite easily.

And if you haven't seen it yet, have a look at the EUI (Enhanced User Interface) mod. I can't play without it now.

Thanks both, I restarted and wondered if I should upgrade the horse archers to knights, they should keep the double attack. I built a couple of libraries and should be close to knight upgrades when I attack America, I have the cash to spend. I normally spend all my money on upgrading archers and then upgrading comp bows, the horse archer strategy is a lot cheaper. My ram has over 100xp saved up for instant healing, I took all the capitals with the same ram!
Full honor approach, I think its the only way to go on domination for the quick finish. I just opened commerce.
I took Hamburg and used my general to build a citadel into American territory, you can see from my last screenshot, the xbow above the 2 horse units is in a citadel. I did not mean to raze Hamburg, I needed to reduce the size to get back to positive happiness and it got away from me as I was concentrating on the battle. 2 generals would have been nice, but I used one earlier for a luxury resource grab, and another to take Berlin. It is cheating a little, having the hindsight, but if i can take Berlin and keep both generals that should get me to within 2 tiles of Washington.
I played civ 4 with the bat mod, looks like the EUI.. but I tried the EUI in linux on steam and the game crashed immediately. Maybe there is a fix somewhere, or something else I have to do? Is there a difference between the linux game code and windows game code?
It is an easy win from where I was, but I was hoping to make the horse archer rush work. I will try again when i have time for a game. I do like civ 5, more than I thought I would.

ps... did find this.. how to get the EUI running in linux, i might try it later

Last edited:
Had another go and pulled off a win at t132.
Netherlands were the first to go and I only took his capital, leaving him alive but he was pretty chill with me. He did cut off my army by settling in the mountain choke points but I never needed to reinforce until I annexed Rome anyway.
Rome was next and bogged me down as I had to cross a river to enter the range of Cumae which meant I couldn't fire and then retreat. I had to take Cumae before I could reach Rome but Rome fell pretty quickly. In hindsight if I'd got optics before I left Amsterdam I might have gone around.
While I was fighting Rome I built an army to head clockwise in the direction of France and then Polynesia, both in nice open terrain and didn't cause me much difficulty.
Maria was last and her units took a bit of clearing but since I passed Kilimanjaro my units despatched them at leisure. Again in hindsight i could have taken a pop 2 city instead of her 2nd city to give me access to Lisbon.

Next time I'm going to emphasise a little more scouting and more time spent training at least one Horse Archer to logistics early. It really does make everything easier and one logistics HA with 2-3 chumps is better than 4 HAs with 2 promotions.

Turned out to be an easy victory, though spies say the American army was on it's way to one of my cities and not defending the capital.
Restarted, kept 2 generals for citadels. HA promoted to logistics and range. I took out Gandhi, and made straight for chivalry. I micro managed HA upgrades. Only lost 1 HA taking Berlin after sending in a swordsman for cannon fodder, HA without logistics I upgraded to knights. Was an easy win on T122. Pretty poor AI defending, as usual, capturing a worker rather than taking out a unit, that sort of thing. T122 is my fastest victory at any difficulty level, but I normally rush comp bows.
Here was my final attack position before I declared war.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-07_19-47-18.png
    Screenshot_2023-08-07_19-47-18.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Top Bottom