Auto-DoW on Click (from GD Bug Reports)

TheMeInTeam

If A implies B...
I've had a recurring problem where clicking on an AI name to trade causes a DoW.

I'm not touching the keyboard. At all. It's happened from the main screen and when attempting trades from the trade screen.

This has forced a reload a number of times and could potentially screw me bigtime in the HoF or GOTM if it occurred in those games.

Unfortunately, posting saves here isn't gonna cut it, since reloading DOES seem to fix the issue.

The only thing I can think of is that the game "thinks" i'm hitting alt or something, nonsensical as that is.

Any similar experiences or suggestions? I *REALLY* don't think this one is an intended feature.

Note: I'm putting this in BTS also because I'd really like insight on why it's occurring, and it is certainly occurring in BTS.

Also note that I didn't alt-tab, I don't have a wireless keyboard, and I am 100% certain I was NOT TOUCHING ALT OR ANY OTHER KEY, and alt was NOT stuck down. I mean, it just happened to me again, and I checked *very* carefully this time.

As a rule I dislike reloads, and they're flat-out illegal in HoF mod games...I've been fortunate enough to avoid this during one of those, but that's just chance - I could easily lose to this pretend DoW garbage nonsense.

I have no idea why this happens to you (other than physical keyboard problems or some weird OS thing as mentioned in a previous topic) but I do have a potential workaround. If you hit shift-D a menu comes up to contact people you know. It's a bit less convenient than the ctrl-click on the keyboard if you want to make a trade but it should be impossible to accidentally declare war when using that contact method.

I have no idea why this happens to you (other than physical keyboard problems or some weird OS thing as mentioned in a previous topic) but I do have a potential workaround. If you hit shift-D a menu comes up to contact people you know. It's a bit less convenient than the ctrl-click on the keyboard if you want to make a trade but it should be impossible to accidentally declare war when using that contact method.

Ooooh, I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

I'll probably just reload in non-hof mod games, and use this in them. I can't imagine the cause but it does seem unique to me so perhaps it is a mechanical problem of some sort (maybe system lag? Who knows). As long as I don't get SCREWED in games that I can't just reload in, it's fine. Reloading in other games ----> who cares, if it's something like this?

Thanks!

My only advice would be to see if you still experience the same problem with some cheap keyboard. Borrow one from another computer, from a friend, or whatever and see if you can isolate the problem.

I'd struggle to see how lag could cause this, but what sort of system are you running anyway?

By the way, it could be a problem with your mouse, especially if it's a programmable one. I have a logitech mouse and it frustrates me that every now and then a single slick is accepted as a double click. In this case I believe it's a driver problem, so maybe yours a similar problem?

SUPER BUMP!

The failure of my laptop video card means I had to rig my crappy desktop to handle civ...not good. HOWEVER, it does allow me to update this problem:

It occurs on my desktop too, with an entirely different keyboard, mouse, etc. No common interface with my laptop other than the civ CD used for installation. To my knowledge neither mouse is programmable, and if they are I've certainly not done so.

This is, of course, a far greater problem on this machine. Aside from the obvious risks associated with playing HoF and forgetting about this little glitch (only to lose time AT BEST due to no reloading), the sheer fact that this machine is so slow that loading saves takes forever is painful too.

I figured I better widen the scope of this issue a bit though. The mouse/keyboards are all different BRANDS from the laptop even! Are you guys SURE this isn't a civ issue? It's pretty suspicious given the circumstances.

I've had the same thing happen to me, although usually when it happens for me, it declares war on several people at once. When I reload it is fine, just like with you.

switching w/ alt-tab and depending on the keyboard driver (and keyboard layouts) windows might experience issues to 'think' alt is pressed.

usually pressing alt solves the problem. i would not consider it game bug, though. such things happen to me w/ other applications as well. annoying for sure.

switching w/ alt-tab and depending on the keyboard driver (and keyboard layouts) windows might experience issues to 'think' alt is pressed.

usually pressing alt solves the problem. i would not consider it game bug, though. such things happen to me w/ other applications as well. annoying for sure.

The trouble is, this will occur even if i don't alt tab, and I don't know if it will happen ahead of time to press alt a few times. Do i just slam alt like 5 times before even attempting a trade each time? It might work but the shift-d is probably better then...

Out of interest, do you run Vista, TMIT? I've only ever noticed weird keyboard and mouse behaviour with Vista (a relative's machine). With XP it's always been a specific hardware problem in my experience.

Out of interest, do you run Vista, TMIT? I've only ever noticed weird keyboard and mouse behaviour with Vista (a relative's machine). With XP it's always been a specific hardware problem in my experience.

The now-useless laptop where I first encountered the issue was XP (doubt the problems were related though, since it seems my video card burned out). My current (yet old) desktop is still running windows 2000, but I've not encountered this trouble outside of civ in *any* program or game on both machines.

I will do pretty much whatever I can to avoid vista.

Top Bottom