Automatic Vs Manual, Major vs Minor / Ages

to better simulate reality on the level of what is important to a state, buildings and units need an overhaul. thus we make a concept of automated vs manual, minor vs major

Minor Buildings and Improvements

buildings like inns, wells, etc. things you could feasibly complete in a single generation or less by a village or a town. you can build multiple of these at once, in one turn, and are in certain circumstances built automatically. similarly, primitive mines (the mines built by Iron Age Germanic and Celtic tribes) and primitive trails are not something a government would spend 20 years doing.

Major Buildings and Improvements

Wonders or massive scale projects like an artificial lake and a massive irrigation network (small irrigation networks are Minor Improvements). government made mines, which are better than local mines, government made roads, government made anything which is made on a bigger scale. They need more time, production, money, and manpower to build and need a constant supply of the last three to keep existing. If you can't handle it, the improvement will fall into disrepair. This is managed automatically but a player can step in and decide to cut off maintenance.

Automatic Units

These are units that randomly appear and are managed by an AI. Things like Random Band of Angry Tribesman At War With Another One of the Tribes that Makes Up Your Existence As A Civilization, Random Neolithic Fishing Boat, etc. These start minor wars or make minor improvements.

Manual Units

These are units that a state would have to go out of their way to make. A phalanx. A unit of horse archers. You can also make multiple of these in a turn up to a certain limit depending on your funds, infrastructure, manpower, resources, and societal bias for or against.

-

Ages

instead of using the current Eurocentric and anachronistic eras, Civ VII should make a way to generate Eras based on what happens during the game. If an empire collapses and takes thousands of texts out and a lot of its infrastructure out with it, call it the Post-Fall Era. If copper smelting becomes common, call it the Copper Era. etc etc. Each state should also have its own way to measure time (from the date of their first leader, from the birth of a messiah, from the date of the first settling, etc).

Your concepts seem interesting. Although I would make it more like cheap/local, and expensive/global.

One thing I would like to see though, being automatic, is migration and deseases. If you look at ancient cities populations, they swing dramatically from an age to the other. The same "most pupulated" city doesn't remain such during all the course of the "game" (History). The "winners" vary majorly due to diseases (epidemias or pandemias) according to me, collapses (the fall of Rome) and after it, attractiveness (the Eastern Roman empire became a refuge for Romans it's my theory). Infrastructure may be a good hint also, obviously, although I ignore what is caused by what (infrastructure adapts to population or population adapts to infrastructures ? Maybe both, wow :crazyeye:) as it is already the case in Civ6, but maybe add more buildings of that type, and be them more flexible. (I hate how aqueducts/baths have to find fresh water 2 tiles of city center max, and how this overwrites other potential good spots like bonus resources -and you can't if it's strategic or luxury- or districts, and by the way being 1 tile only from city center so basically right next to it. I hope this will change in Civ7, and that they will add wells also, droughts would affect them pretty hard though, as to droughts they should be more common)

Also I have the idea now (sorry if this deviates from your topic) that there should be sliders like in old Civs but to manage water, like if you prefer to keep growing your city, limiting farming (only), or if your growth cap is fine, limiting those benefits from your network of wells to favor farming. There could be other factors like baths becoming closed for less happiness and less hygiene (maybe, so more risk of diseases, but I think limiting to happiness would be enough, plus it's not proved that public baths decrease deseases ? IDK In any case in the long run it can weaken body's defenses, it's crazy how a French can't drink Morrocco bath water, not even brush its teeth with it)
They need more time, production, money, and manpower to build and need a constant supply of the last three to keep existing.
Production and/or money is fine, but for manpower one should modify how population and citizens-workers work, unless you give farms outputs a lot more food yields (which I would be favourable to, actually), and the agricultural populations could skyrocket, at least a bit in the beginning of agriculture and agriculture only. (in such societies, game should be a luxury, if not meat all short. That's why I propose some bonus resources to become luxuries too, not to mention the need to be able to reproduce and move them where possible, but that's another topic)

Your concepts seem interesting. Although I would make it more like cheap/local, and expensive/global.

One thing I would like to see though, being automatic, is migration and deseases. If you look at ancient cities populations, they swing dramatically from an age to the other. The same "most pupulated" city doesn't remain such during all the course of the "game" (History). The "winners" vary majorly due to diseases (epidemias or pandemias) according to me, collapses (the fall of Rome) and after it, attractiveness (the Eastern Roman empire became a refuge for Romans it's my theory). Infrastructure may be a good hint also, obviously, although I ignore what is caused by what (infrastructure adapts to population or population adapts to infrastructures ? Maybe both, wow :crazyeye:) as it is already the case in Civ6, but maybe add more buildings of that type, and be them more flexible. (I hate how aqueducts/baths have to find fresh water 2 tiles of city center max, and how this overwrites other potential good spots like bonus resources -and you can't if it's strategic or luxury- or districts, and by the way being 1 tile only from city center so basically right next to it. I hope this will change in Civ7, and that they will add wells also, droughts would affect them pretty hard though, as to droughts they should be more common)

Also I have the idea now (sorry if this deviates from your topic) that there should be sliders like in old Civs but to manage water, like if you prefer to keep growing your city, limiting farming (only), or if your growth cap is fine, limiting those benefits from your network of wells to favor farming. There could be other factors like baths becoming closed for less happiness and less hygiene (maybe, so more risk of diseases, but I think limiting to happiness would be enough, plus it's not proved that public baths decrease deseases ? IDK In any case in the long run it can weaken body's defenses, it's crazy how a French can't drink Morrocco bath water, not even brush its teeth with it)

Production and/or money is fine, but for manpower one should modify how population and citizens-workers work, unless you give farms outputs a lot more food yields (which I would be favourable to, actually), and the agricultural populations could skyrocket, at least a bit in the beginning of agriculture and agriculture only. (in such societies, game should be a luxury, if not meat all short. That's why I propose some bonus resources to become luxuries too, not to mention the need to be able to reproduce and move them where possible, but that's another topic)
yes, absolutely amazing idea

Top Bottom