Avoiding massive 'chains' of resources

twilson1972

Warlord
Hey all

Ive abandoned my last two games

First one, pangea- i started with FIVE salt in my capital and 2 salt in second city - combined with desert folklore and all the rivers it was absurd and was no competition so i quit.

The second game again pangea the civ at the opposite end of the map got the "5 salt' start and was a runaway, i couldnt really reach him effectively and gave up.

Both these games were standard size, pangea, default civs, but with resources 'abundant'

Are there any land maps that avoid the insane clustering that can throw off games so much?. Its generally salt clusters that affect the game dramatically for me

Cheers.

Hehe, how about setting resources to normal or sparse? I too prefer pangea, large map so that things are just forced to happen. If you really need res boost start, I would recommend legendary start. It gives all civs a boosted resources around capitol while leaving other spots normal.

Still you cannot prevent someone getting salt start. You`ll just have to be adventurous enough to prevent AI from evolving. Perhaps you could pay nearby AI to attack him...

Hehe, how about setting resources to normal or sparse? I too prefer pangea, large map so that things are just forced to happen. If you really need res boost start, I would recommend legendary start. It gives all civs a boosted resources around capitol while leaving other spots normal.

Still you cannot prevent someone getting salt start. You`ll just have to be adventurous enough to prevent AI from evolving. Perhaps you could pay nearby AI to attack him...

So its the abundant setting that causes clusters like that?.

I just thought it threw a 3rd luxury close by, and i like games that encourage more expansion - just to be clear i dont like it when i start with 4 / 5 salt either. The resource itself isnt the issue its having a massive cluster.

I remember on BTS it was great to start with 2 x gold and good food.. but with empires so much smaller nowadays it seems to have more of an imbalancing effect having a sweet mineable resource in large quantities from turn 1

Cheers ill try standard/sparse.

Np, standard option usually gives you 2 copies of the same res and 1 copy of the other, while legendary gives you from 3-5 copies of the same and 1 other but the rest of the terrain is normal, unlike abundant where there are clusters of res everywhere.

Oh and sparse is the option if you like to suffer:)

I usually get with the criteria is loosened to within 10 hexes on legendary a minimum of 5 copies of the same primary luxury and a max of 7 copies. Standard map size.

Top Bottom