Awilder's 2nd Deity Game (Mansa/fractal/standard)

I gave it a try, got boxed in, elepult etc. Situation is pretty similar to yours. I got no original ideas or strategies to share. Plus switching in/out of BAT mod every time makes it a bit uncomfortable.

No offense, but I prefer original graphics over Blue Marble ones. ;)

Ok, 13 cities looks good to me. Why not consolidate -> golden age -> push for great people -> try for Liberalism -> press on the attack w/ cavalry.

Diplomacy looks tricky with Monty next door, though (getting him to friendly will take effort and will worsen relations with the rest of the wolrd).

Capping Montezuma would be great - do not take many cities in this case and use him as a buffer. Switch to Judaism (switch Monty, too) so you can be in a good diplo position.

Yeah it's a bummer no one else seems interested in this game. :(

Mate, don't underestimate the lurkers! Like me ;) I've been following all your games so far with considerable interest, even though I haven't had much worthwhile to comment.

I find this game particularly inspiring in fact. Successfully carrying out an ancient age war against a superior neighbour on deity? Impressive. I only wish you'd have posted more details about the game and the war in particular.

So, do keep going! As for what to do, I know my own instinct would just be to stop, consolidate and try to build up superiority for a new wave of expansion. But then I often regret such decisions and realize I should have pushed more early on instead of chilling in builder mode. The plan to make Hannibal a vassal is quite interesting imo.

Yeah it's a bummer no one else seems interested in this game. :(

I am interested in the game. Like the previous poster said, don't underestimate lurkers. ^_^ Well actually I've been preoccupied with my own set of games as well, but anyways, it is great to see someone attempting to win a Deity game for the 1st time I assume? Same goes for me trying to win Emperor for the 1st time. It's that 1st one that is always so special ^_^

One thing I want to point out is that you did a heck of a job getting yourself to a good number of cities and good chunk of land. If you were to go for a target, I would think that it is probably better to get some sort of help from another AI or two, via bribes perhaps.

Sometimes I like the presence of Monty to act as a sort of crazy lunatic maniac that I can use as a puppet to attack other AI that I want to be disturbed.... but in your case, it might not quite work out that way.

Anyways, a big two thumbs up from me for your efforts so far!

I gave it a try, got boxed in, elepult etc. Situation is pretty similar to yours. I got no original ideas or strategies to share. Plus switching in/out of BAT mod every time makes it a bit uncomfortable.

No offense, but I prefer original graphics over Blue Marble ones. ;)

I only run with basic BUG mod plus the Blue Marble, but not BAT or BUFFY mods. My games don't need to be restarted which is good. I do like the new unit graphics on BAT mods though... making each civilizations look more unique with proper flag to boot!

Another lurker checking in. :) You've got 541 page views, so there's obviously interest. Among us lower-level players only Vranasm seems willing to stick his kneck out to offer advice/opinion. :lol:

Another lurker checking in. :) You've got 541 page views, so there's obviously interest. Among us lower-level players only Vranasm seems willing to stick his kneck out to offer advice/opinion. :lol:

Um.... if you call yourself lower-level player, what does that make me? Rock bottom player? ^_^ LOL!

Wow, hi everybody! Doubled the thread views overnight:)

I am away from civ this weekend, although with internet, so look for a new update Monday-ish.

Next game I plan to play slower and I won't use BAT in hopes of getting more save views.

@gwaja
I did manage to get my first deity win over on gkey's deity pls #2 (thanks, gkey, great map!). I recommend that thread--some good reads over there.

@hr
Sorry I was short on the details pre 1AD. Is there anything in particular you were curious about?

@gkey
If you have the inclination, post a shadow report!

Um.... if you call yourself lower-level player, what does that make me? Rock bottom player? ^_^ LOL!

In this particular case, I meant "lower than deity." :)

I only run with basic BUG mod plus the Blue Marble, but not BAT or BUFFY mods. My games don't need to be restarted which is good. I do like the new unit graphics on BAT mods though... making each civilizations look more unique with proper flag to boot!
That's the way to go IMO. Adding BULL dll you get full functionality of BAT mode and no restart required to load your saves. BULL enhances BUG but is not that necessary after all. Does Blue Marble includes unique look for civilizations or is it only for landscape?

Btw, it's not first deity try. Awilder demonstrated excellent game on "Deity please!".
Keep it up!

In this particular case, I meant "lower than deity." :)

HA! The way you were smacking those AI around in my Shaka game, I think you are underestimating yourself. :)

That's the way to go IMO. Adding BULL dll you get full functionality of BAT mode and no restart required to load your saves. BULL enhances BUG but is not that necessary after all. Does Blue Marble includes unique look for civilizations or is it only for landscape?

Blue Marble only enhances the graphics on the map, but does not, by itself, give the unique look on the units. On one hand, I like the unique looks from BAT, but sometimes I get confused recognizing the units immediately because I am not familiar with them.

How does BULL work by the way? Does it give the unique look on units without having to restart?

Btw, it's not first deity try. Awilder demonstrated excellent game on "Deity please!".
Keep it up!

Ahhh... I knew he could do it! :)

How does BULL work by the way? Does it give the unique look on units without having to restart?

BULL does not change terrain or units look. It works with BUG mode. The options that are gray out in Alt+Ctrl+O screen require BULL dll. No restart needed.

OK so I went ahead with the plan of marching across Monte's lands with my still-large elephant army, popping some GP for a golden age>GS fest.

I was originally going to revolt to Caste+Pacifism right when I got philo, but I ended up waiting a few more turns to whip out courthouses in each formerly-American city as it came out of revolt. Courthouse was almost every first build, and many of them were size 10+ so they could be whipped out no problem (after waiting a turn for hammers to go in).

As mentioned at the end of last round, Monte was in WHEOOHRN, and we had a peace treaty, so...

Spoiler :

yup, had to be Hannibal. I hope I can get there in time!

I have my 2-movement general scouting (carefully) ahead. Remember, I'm already at war with Hannibal, who let Washington peace-vassal him before he died. I find Monte's stack eventually:

Spoiler :

Yeah, not something I especially wanted to face if I had backstabbed him. Also, no shots of this, but Monte had typically 1 LB and 1 pike in every city at least, and many military units just milling around, so I toyed with stopping my march short, bouncing my army back to my lands with a DOW on Monte, but decided to keep going.

5 turns later I have a sizable force ready to throw at Hannibal.

Spoiler :

This garrison is pretty thin. The Monte/Hanny battle is going on north of here, so thanks Monte!

Next turn I take it no problem. Lost a couple of catas?

Spoiler :

Notice also in this pic I'm teching paper at 0% but still getting a bunch of beakers. The scientists are being run all over now, and washington will supply the GA trigger in 1 turn.

Golden Age is popped, and

Spoiler :

I finally see why I know the AIs on the other landmass. Actually, I'm still confused, bc I wouldn't think I could see WBs from HC and/or HRE from here. Also, I'm connected to their resource trade routes. Anyone care to explain?

The war continues, bc Hannibal is not capitulating yet:

Spoiler :

After this city falls, he still won't go. I also have a satellite stack next to the city Monte is slowwwly bombarding. He suicides a pretty enormous stack into like 10 LBs so I opportunistically take 8 of them with no losses. Oddly, Monte goes for peace after this suicide mission. So I round up all the troops for a last stand:

Spoiler :

I take out city #3 (of 5!) and he STILL won't cap. I almost declare peace for some techs in shame, but then I pick off a couple more random maces who are trying to take back an earlier city, and...

Spoiler :

BOOM! I of course give back the 3 cities I took and now have a nice vassal. No idea how he techs so fast (was competitive in the lib race!) but I'll take it. Speaking of the lib race: I got 4 GSs, which went academy, trigger GA (I waited for GA to grow cities more), partial bulb edu, and then that one last one coming in the pic above from philly. He bulbs into lib (have compass, no machinery) to produce this result:

Spoiler :

Hooray!! But wait, notice anything else pertinent to our success in that screenshot. Yessir, Monte declared on me :lol:. Pretty sure it was opportunistic, bc he doesn't seem totally prepared, and I had a border city undefended, which was bone-headed.

Here are the state of the world pics:

Spoiler :

Well, at least you can't say this game isn't exciting! I still have maybe 15 veteran ellie's, but they are still up in Hannibal's house. Also, I suicided basically all my catas in the Hannibal war, so I don't really have a city capturing force up there.

My plan before the war was to get yet another GP out of the golden age, this one a merchant to set up deficit teching-> cavs. I don't think I can afford to stay in caste right now, and I also don't think I can afford to whip all those Uni's right now, although it would be nice. Plan is to revolt nationhood (which currently drafts AXEMEN! :cry: but I can trade my trusty vassal for machinery and get some maces), slavery, and probably FR so that the world doesn't hate me so much, and then tech gunpowder as soon as I can. I also likely need to upgrade several skirmishers to LBs, so maybe 3 turn GP is not possible.

There are some questions I have:
-Is it true that an AI will ALWAYS bombard a city down to 0% before attacking? Even if overwhelming numbers?
-Should I both whip and draft in my border cities or try to be minimalist in my defenses?
-Should I try to strike back now, or just end the war asap, and tech to cavs or at least cuirs as planned? (I would like peace asap, but I dunno)
-What is Monte's deal?

Attachments

• MM1010AD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    265.1 KB · Views: 45
I wouldn't say that AI's always bombard to 0%. I certainly had games where AI throw the force at me. But I think reducing his siege had something to do with it (through flanking cuirs)

You could maybe try to use your 15 ellies in the north and get some northern cities from monte.
I would whip army asap and go own him (but I never play deity so .... :)). Monte is stubborn, you would have to make him some serious damage before he will even want to talk.

I told you he is better target :).

Nice thinking with giving back those cities, I would probably never do this... if I get something it's mine, enough talk! :-D

I think I will merely pillage with the phants as they move south. Attacking into pikes with no siege is pretty brutal for elephants (<20% survival depending on city defense). I don't want to throw away 10 phants and prolong the war that way.

Whip an army of what? elephants against elephants+pikes is not going to cut it for an offensive war:(

I'm almost positive Monte was not the better target. As I mentioned, his garrisons were larger than Hannibal's. Keep in mind I only had to take 3 cities from Hannibal, and that took all of my siege. Hannibal was also in turtle mode the whole time so I didn't have to worry about my elephant garrisons after taking his cities, which would have been mincemeat to Monte's pikes.

EDIT: ooh, I have 21 elephants up there!

well you are the boss here ;-).
i think getting those maces as you talked about them will help you.

Monte still has good production base so he can produce waves of units. If you can get some quick peace..., well i don't really think he will leave at that and will declare repeatedly.

Is there any danger Monte could get some tech trades with other continent? You should eventually outtech him

Good question! Looks like he could trade for GP from HRE, which would put him put him 2 techs away from cuirs. Those aren't the end of the the world but would be rough. Anyway, the fact that he's so close to GP means I should think twice about whipping up walls. I think I'll go units all the way.

Top Bottom