Aztec UI Overhaul: Helping it scale to late game

Galgus

Emperor
Unique Ability: Sacrificial Captives

For each unit killed, gain :c5culture: equal to their combat strength + half of your :c5culture: per turn generation.

Gain 10X your normal :c5culture: per turn for one turn each time a :c5citizen: is lost in a city you raze.

This would make them a true cultural warmonger, razing down cities just to unlock Social Policies.

It would create a decision when you capture a big city: do you keep it for its yields, or raze it to rocket down the Policy tree?

Their UA falls off so hard its hardly noticeable late game, and I'd like it to define how they play more.

I wouldn't mind it being a flat value rather than a multiplier, but the multiplier route is easier to scale across game phases and game speeds.

The thing with that is, them gaining culture for razing cities isn't fitting for the Aztecs. By and large, their unique ability is meant to simulate their "flower war" tradition: engaging in warfare not for land or territory, but for warrior sacrifices. They engaged in battle as more of a cultural tradition, and rarely ever did they do it with the intent of actually marching in and laying siege to cities. You're meant to play them by just killing off as many units as possible without necessarily taking cities, and it's probably more effective that way. Basically you're going the tall-oriented hyper culture route, only super aggressive instead of peaceful. Culture is still super useful even though it's not the direct key to a victory, especially now that there's Ideologies and two additional policy trees. That's a looooot of SPs...and as the Aztecs you have a very real capability to adopt more than anyone else can, especially early-game. Play your cards right, and you're perfectly able of filling out Honor AND another tree before the Medieval or even Classical Era. Honor is a VERY good tree for the Aztecs, primarily because, while its benefits aren't that useful to actual conquest anymore, it does do good things for combat strength and effectiveness at killing units, which you'll be doing a lot of. Efficient sweeping of units is the way to go. But yes, late-game, it could definitely use a bump, and I like the bump of adding in more culture for each of those kills based on how many you already have. It makes an Honor/Aesthetics combo, normally a very seldom-picked one, into a veritable endless culture machine that only gives you more the farther you go.

I was worried about that, to be honest.

I was just trying to find a way to make it more useful, since it seems almost unnoticeable aside early game now.

I exclusively play Marathon mode, though I'm not sure how exactly that changes the scaling.

If the :c5culture: for razing cities was axed, would the bonus :c5culture: for the culture per turn rate be enough to make it scale evenly across game modes, or would it need something else?

in a roleplaying/visualization sense, the idea is definitely great to me. no idea how broken/not broken it would be as a game mechanic.

Top Bottom