B17s

Silverman6083

History-Lover
Ok question, how do you guys feel about the B17? I do not like it. Being a proud American, I was looking at the civilization and its abilities(note: this is not a rant of buffing America), and I came to the B17. I saw that its ability is Siege 1, giving it 33% combat bonus against cities. Now I know the justification is that in WW2, B-17s and B-25s(?) were used as strategic bombers to destroy the German industry. Now, this is all well and good, but I think I have a better idea with more flavor to it.
B17s should get the "Evasion", promotion which gives it 50% bonus when being intercepted. This is historically accurate because B17s had the notorious nickname "flying fortress", because of how strong these things were and because of all of the turrets on them. So, what do ya guys think? And yes I know its unlikely that Firaxis will put this in a patch, but still I'd like some feedback from the community :) thanks.

They've got Siege 1 AND Evasion AND extra strength compared to the base unit, for the same cost. Considering that Bombers are a strong unit already, this makes B17s terrifyingly powerful units. Plus starting with Siege 1 makes it easy to get to the all-important Air Repair.

Actually, both American UUs have so many improvements over the base unit that all stay upon upgrades. Quite powerful in fact. Imagine your late-game air force of American Stealth Bombers that all have evasion and Siege I-III, plus Air Repair and Logistics if they're highly promoted. Then, add to that your late-game army of American Mechanized Infantry that all ignore terrain cost and have Drill I or more (makes it easier to get to March by the way) and all earn Golden Age points from kills. It's pretty insane.

Excellent unit. I don't get the point. They flattened German cities historically - so they've got siege - and they've got evasion. They're so good you don't really need to air sweep for them - just let them go and bash their way through.

Once you upgrade them to stealth bombers they're pretty much unstoppable.

Yes, now two very powerful UUs, instead of one very powerful one and an OK one. The minutemen really didn't need a buff - they were fine before, when you take into account the other super-powered UU and the UA.

I'd guess what happened is the developers paid too much attention to all the people moaning (completely wrongly) that America was a 2nd tier civ, when the truth was that they'd just failed to understand why both halves of the UA (+1 sight and cheaper tile buys) can be incredibly powerful tools in the hands of a good player. :rolleyes:

Of course the B-17's couldn't hit anything until they started flying lower alt missions w fighter support. America should've gotten the B-29! Cooler looking, amazing trans-continental range, and the only plane of its kind in the era. A super long range bomber in Civ5 would be a very kewl UU!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But the B17s are a great band...oh, wait, wrong plane...

No, but the unit in-game is extremely powerful (what's wrong with the promotions?) and the way to finish off those last few enemy nations when going for a Domination victory. Doesn't need a buff.

The B17's main "weakness" is how late it comes. At least that's what I think.

Top Bottom