Babylonian Statecraft

Babylonian Banana Merchant 1: "Did you here about that smoking hot Phoenician princess?

Babylonian Banana Merchant 2: "You mean this one?"

Spoiler :

Babylonian Banana Merchant 1: "Yep, that's the one. I hear she's looking for somebody to put a ring on that finger, so she can start producing heirs ASAP."

Babylonian Banana Merchant 2: "Yeah, but who can think about marriage when a king is about to get selected?".

Babylonian Banana Merchant 1: "I hear ya buddy. But me, if I was trying to make king... I would want a powerful ally, and she looks like the kind of woman that belongs next to a king."

Spoiler :

Ethbaal speaks to his daughter Jezebel: “My Jezebel, come closer, I have words that you must hear”

Jezebel: “what is it father?”

Ethbaal: “My time is nearly at an end. You are my only child and our people look to you to lead them.”

Jezebel: “No father, I am not ready. Please do not leave us.”

Ethbaal: “There is nothing that can keep me here much longer child. Besides, you have all of the beauty, wit, grace and cunning to lead our people to a prosperous future. You must take a husband. Choose wisely, for we need our people to be accepted if we are to integrate and prosper as part of this Babylonian civilization. Remember what have have taught you: be loyal to your husband. His success will be your success, as well as the success of your children, and of our Phoenician community.
You must also always remember that we pass our land and wealth to our first born daughters, rather than our sons. If you marry a Babylonian, the first born son and daughter will have to split the family wealth. Your daughter’s wealth will serve our Phoenician community, and your son’s wealth will serve that of your husband. Make sure that your husband understands that to marry a Phoenician is to marry a powerful but equal partner, who’s daughters must inherit for the sake of our community. The details are to be arranged between you and your husband.”

Jezebel: “I will do what I must for our people father. But who is most suitable from among these Babylonian strangers for me to marry?”

Ethbaal: “That is for you to deci……… ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Jezebel: “Father? Father! FATHER!!!!!!!”

*Sobbing*

(can we please turn on Show Resource Icons for all future terrain pics OR, OR, OR, promise to include a Strategic View component of every update? I don't recognize resources by appearance.)
[Bulludhu]

"...
<Bulludhu stomps and whoops in assent to what Beltashazzar said>
"

(can we please turn on Show Resource Icons for all future terrain pics OR, OR, OR, promise to include a Strategic View component of every update? I don't recognize resources by appearance.)
[Bulludhu]

"...
<Bulludhu stomps and whoops in assent to what Beltashazzar said>
"
Strategic view shots make up the entirety of the second set of screenshots.

Nominating oneself is a sign of hubris unbefitting in a monarch. That aside your plan to focus Babylon's efforts primarily on military concerns disconcertingly ignores the fact that we are surrounded by jungle. Our primary focus should be on clearing the wastes around us so they can be made productive, with initial research and construction being oriented towards this end.

I find your ideas intriguing but somewhat short on specifics. Would you elaborate?

Nominating oneself is a sign of hubris unbefitting in a monarch. That aside your plan to focus Babylon's efforts primarily on military concerns disconcertingly ignores the fact that we are surrounded by jungle. Our primary focus should be on clearing the wastes around us so they can be made productive, with initial research and construction being oriented towards this end.

If no one nominates himself for the position of King and all flee responsibility, how is our nation going to prosper? Fleeing responsibility and accusing those who offer to shoulder this responsibility is the easy way to gain popularity and portray one's self as humble. I prefer to be insulted and called arrogant but take responsibility rather than flee from it.

On your criticism, you clearly have misread my intentions. We should research mining in order to exploit our natural resources and send scouts to search for new lands which would be suitable for farming. We should also create an army of archers to protect our city because without defense, how can our citizens live without the fear of invasion?

My plan is one which would make our city defendable and allow us to discover new lands while exploiting the resources of our current lands. My proposed Council of Advisers will also make sure that Babylon is wisely administrated and that all important wise men can advise the King and tell him of their views.

I will also create an effective bureaucracy: I will appoint a Marshal to oversee the army and a High Judge to oversee Justice while the Council of Advisers will not only advise the King, but shall also have specific duties.

Personal Name: Addriatan
Family Name: Synnprin

I will also create an effective bureaucracy:

There is no such thing as an "effective" bureaucracy, the only effective fair way to run a nation is one wise king with no clouded judgment.

PAID ADVERTISEMENT

Running low on Potassium?
Have a hankering for a sweet treat?
Want something nutritious for the whole family?

Try a banana from the Phoenician Banana Cooperative!
They're delicious. Ask for them by name!

I, Hammurabi Sin-Muballit, would like to officially ask lady Jezebel's hand in marriage.

The Dance of Jezebel

Spoiler :

Around the fire of the village council the mood of the evening was taking a turn for the better. The drums began to fall into a familiar rhythm, the lute began to match with a melody dating back to the old empire.

Jezebel stood up from the ring of tables around the central fire, and began walking towards the flames.

She was dressed in her best garments, which managed to advertise her high position in the Phoenician community, while also showing off a great deal of her feminine physique. The fabrics of her garment were of azure and green and grey, like the seas that her people had so often made their living. The skirt covered her waist, and draped to her feet, but with a cut along one side so that when she moved quickly one or more legs flashed visibly. Above her waist she wore little other than a pair of shells held in place by intricate metalwork, and a cape that matched her lower garment.

She held an instrument like a tambourine, with a jaguar skin making the taut drum skin, wound around a wooden ring from a baobab tree. The noisy trinkets that adorned the ring were made of the iridescent shells of oysters, some of the most prized remnants of the ancient Phoenician community&#8217;s riches of the sea.

The drummer must have been a bit caught off guard, because the beat nearly died away with Jezebel&#8217;s approach to the center of the ring. The lute stopped playing entirely. However, as she turned, and stared out into the darkened circle around her, the beat revived, with a bit more intensity. Jezebel began swaying to the beat, and slowly turned her head as she raised the tambourine above her head in what was clearly the starting position of some kind of traditional dance.

Boom, bum bum bum
Boom, bum bum bum
&#8230;went the drum

Cha , cha
&#8230;the tambourine responded

Jezebel began swaying more intensely, moving her arms and hips in slow undulating circles, always keeping time with the intensifying beat.

Since memory began, the Phoenicians had a special dance to an ancient god Baal Marquod: the Lord of the Dance. The tambourine held special significance in such ceremonies, and invoked the divine into the dance of the petitioner. For Jezebel, a touch of the divine would not be out of place, for she wanted her dance to positively entrance the leading men of the village.

The purpose of dances like this is to intoxicate of course, and entrance, and Jezebel was succeeding on both counts. At one point, a young leading man by the name of Hammurabi dropped his mug of mead, much to his chagrin. But these dances also served another, more utilitarian purpose. By performing the graceful, the powerful, and yes even the seductive movements of the dance, Jezebel was advertising not only her wealth of dress and adornment, but also her impeccable physical health of motion. An advertisement that she would be able to bear many healthy children.

As the dance came to a close some of the men of the room were positively stupefied, some were shaking their heads as if shaking off some spell, while some were thinking very private thoughts and feeling very powerful stirrings of emotion.

For her part Jezebel wondered, how will these leading townspeople interpret such a dance? These other &#8220;Babylonians&#8221; were as foreign to each other sometimes as they were to the community of Phoenicians. In this day, there was this tremendous opportunity for these disparate tribes and communities to come together to do great things. However, it was always a risk to show too much of one&#8217;s own culture, for fear of shocking or alienating others. Had she gotten the formula right? Had she managed to raise the interest of a powerful leading male as a potential suitor? That young man from the Sin-Muballit clan sure seemed to have been affected. How would this all be received? &#8220;What is done is done&#8221; Jezebel told herself, &#8220;let us see how this plays out&#8221;.

Around the campfire, as Jezebel exited the circle, and then the room, the mood would have to be likened to a state of stunned silence. Men stared into their mugs, and women gave each other questioning glances, until the lute finally began to strum a couple of tentative chords. Everyone knew that the Phoenicians were a powerful and resourceful community within the town. Everyone also knew that Ethbaal, the leader of the clan had passed away only days before, as the funereal ceremony drew much interest from the larger Babylonian public. Not as much interest as this however. Was the daughter of Ethbaal actively courting an outside marriage? What sort of an advantage could be gained by partnership with such a tightknit, but ultimately admirable community?

Phoenician maiden: "Princess Jezebel. Come quick!"

Jezebel: "What is it my dear?"

maiden: "It worked! It worked! One of Babylons most promising young bachelors has proposed marriage this very morning!"

Jezebel: "Who is this suitor?"

maiden: "Hammurabi, of the Sin-Muballit clan."

Jezebel smiled to herself, remembering the young man from the circle the evening before.

There is no such thing as an "effective" bureaucracy, the only effective fair way to run a nation is one wise king with no clouded judgment.

No matter how wise and hard-working a King is, he cannot rule a nation entirely on his own. He needs advisers and people who will implement his orders. Establishing offices like those of the Marshal or the High Judge help not only the King run more effectively the nation, but also the nation itself. For such officers will be able to respond faster to any unexpected situation. A King cannot be everywhere at the same time. So, he cannot respond equally fast on all issues, especially in times of crisis. Such officials would be able to react faster and help the King on his duties.

Hammurabi was really anxious. Anxious over how Jezebel would respond to his offer of marriage and anxious over weather he would become King or not. During the past few days, he had been accused of committing hubris and having a clouded judgment. Hammurabi sighed. He knew that he would be insulted because he was the only one willing to shoulder the responsibility of leading his nation to prosperity. He knew that he would be mocked because his ideas were too progressive for some. Hammurabi could only sigh and hope that the Gods would bless him so he could emerge victorious both in love and politics.

Strategic view shots make up the entirety of the second set of screenshots.

(Yes. Please continue that please.)

[Bulludhu]

"Is it faster to speak to one man, or ten? Is a family ruled by the children and the wife, or by the man? <Bulludhu speaks more condescendingly than insultingly, and laughs.>
Is Sin-Muballit's tongue even of this land?
"

I find your ideas intriguing but somewhat short on specifics. Would you elaborate?

Of course good sir.

My thoughts on the matter are that we must research mining > bronze-working > pottery > calendar > (masonry/sailing/archery) in order to properly develop our lands and waters, and enable a suitable protection for our people. sailing, masonry and archery being interchangeable depending on circumstances. [note: masonry also allows our unique building, walls of Babylon in addition to allowing us to build a quarry on that sweet marble, and opening the door to two wonder options, archery obviously allows for bowmen our unique unit, and would be the priority in an immediate barbarian pinch, sailing would depend on how necessary it is to hook up the seafood nearby which would likely be within our borders by then and would probably come after those two if this plan was followed through]

As to civic projects, the jungle stifles movement and thus all attempts to explore making the training of scouts imperative. From there the order of construction would be dependant on how our research is going, but building a monument to Nebuchadnezzar and training a worker unit to develop our lands, would generally be imperative in addition to a secondary military unit in addition to the existing warriors. A shrine would then proceed from there followed by a granary after we have developed plantations upon the banana forests. A large scale monumental building project (a wonder) presumably would have to wait until after we have sent forth settlers to a suitable location discovered by the scouts, and until after we have developed the marble deposits nearby, jungle wood is hardly a proper building material for glorious works after all (and marble gives a bonus to wonder construction). [scouts > monument > worker > military unit > shrine > (granary/military unit/settlers) > (eventual wonder)]

Christos said:
If no one nominates himself for the position of King and all flee responsibility, how is our nation going to prosper? Fleeing responsibility and accusing those who offer to shoulder this responsibility is the easy way to gain popularity and portray one's self as humble. I prefer to be insulted and called arrogant but take responsibility rather than flee from it.

On your criticism, you clearly have misread my intentions. We should research mining in order to exploit our natural resources and send scouts to search for new lands which would be suitable for farming. We should also create an army of archers to protect our city because without defense, how can our citizens live without the fear of invasion?

My plan is one which would make our city defendable and allow us to discover new lands while exploiting the resources of our current lands. My proposed Council of Advisers will also make sure that Babylon is wisely administrated and that all important wise men can advise the King and tell him of their views.

I will also create an effective bureaucracy: I will appoint a Marshal to oversee the army and a High Judge to oversee Justice while the Council of Advisers will not only advise the King, but shall also have specific duties.

*** amused silence ***

Silverman6083 said:
There is no such thing as an "effective" bureaucracy, the only effective fair way to run a nation is one wise king with no clouded judgment

Quite so good sir, a ruler illuminated by the gods is necessary as the central axis around which the nation turns, hence the current interest in finding a king. True again are your words that a bureaucracy cannot really be effective. Indeed at this stage when we but reside in a lonesome city clinging upon the edge of the great waters it seems only right and proper that the King wield both sword and sceptre of civic and martial command, listening to whom would come in audience before him as he will (for surely it is the duty of a King to listen to his people, instead of being hidden away, his ears closed save to the whispers of faceless men) and dispensing power at his word as commander, priest and judge all. Being in his person the one who defends, the one who builds up, and the one who establishes order.

Yet when our civilisation expands it would be only proper I would think for lesser Lords to rule over their own cities as the legends say was the case of old in a similar manner, with the great authority of the sacred King, nay, King of Kings I supposed we would call one who rules over lesser kings, being dispensed to vicars of his will. With regards to Babylon itself as well, one would think it wise to dispense dominion over the outer lands to the oversight and control of respected lords amongst our people, with those lords being both sustained by these lands in their appointed roles and likewise responsible to those who dwell upon the lands given to their care. (ooc: ergo, our King should divide the lands outside Babylon according to his will amongst the players)

Effective bureaucracy? I believe that that's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

While I do not doubt that Hammurabi Sin-Muballit wishes our nation nothing but the best, I do not believe that he is the right person to lead us.

Beltashazzar Damman, on the other hand, has proposed a course of action I find highly agreeable. Therefore, I hereby nominate him as our honored King.

Effective bureaucracy? I believe that that's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

While I do not doubt that Hammurabi Sin-Muballit wishes our nation nothing but the best, I do not believe that he is the right person to lead us.

Beltashazzar Damman, on the other hand, has proposed a course of action I find highly agreeable. Therefore, I hereby nominate him as our honored King.

Quite so. I second the nomination.

Will join. Will input name later.

King of Kings? Sounds familiar&#55357;&#56835;

Given the number of lords who have nominated me, it appears I have no choice but to accept candidacy for the Kingship in submission to the desires of the electorate.

-

ooc: GM QUERY: What expansion is the platform for this game btw?

Spoiler :
@Et Absoluti: Only because I don't know what to call a national ruler with subsidiary monarchical rulers in a Babylonian context. In a European one it would just be a king and dukes for example. The point behind this kind of system is to avoid giving the national ruler too much power (by giving regional rulers a local power base that can't just be snatched away by El Rey) or some sort of vulgar descent to retrograde democracy (which in this game can be rigged) in which the commons get uppity and think authority comes from them.

@PortugalPower, Filli Noctus, Magnive: Thankyou I suppose for the show of support. Not everyday one gets three nominations in a row :p

@Christos: This answers how one avoids fleeing responsibility while refraining from the hubris of nominating oneself. That is to say one accepts the nominations of others who support ones position ;)

ooc: GM QUERY: What expansion is the platform for this game btw?

Spoiler :
@Et Absoluti: Only because I don't know what to call a national ruler with subsidiary monarchical rulers in a Babylonian context. In a European one it would just be a king and dukes for example. The point behind this kind of system is to avoid giving the national ruler too much power (by giving regional rulers a local power base that can't just be snatched away by El Rey) or some sort of vulgar descent to retrograde democracy (which in this game can be rigged) in which the commons get uppity and think authority comes from them.

@PortugalPower, Filli Noctus, Magnive: Thankyou I suppose for the show of support. Not everyday one gets three nominations in a row :p

@Christos: This answers how one avoids fleeing responsibility while refraining from the hubris of nominating oneself. That is to say one accepts the nominations of others who support ones position ;)
The game is being run with Brave New World and all civilization DLC.

Top Bottom