Balanced Civ Lineup for TSL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdl8YVFK4o

In this interview with BAStart Ed talks about how the popularity of TSL games in Civ 5 has made them give a lot more consideration to it when developing Civ 6, INCLUDING the selection of Civs for the game! (South America in particular being hinted at)

So then. How does everyone think this will affect the lineup?

Indonesia and Brazil for the base game this time around perhaps?

Maybe one of the Pacific North West cultures like Chinook/Haida/Salish instead of The Iroquois?

And of course I could go on all day about possible African choices.

Let's discuss and see if we can work out a most likely lineup.

It sounds like they are going to try to balance it a bit more out of the gate, but Europe is going to cluttered no matter what.

Inca and Brazil from the start would be most logical for South America. That way you'd have a one civ on both the Atlantic and Pacific coast.
I also guess we'll get somebody in Southeast Asia. Either Siam again or maybe somebody like Khmer or Vietnam.
Africa is usually the most neglected continent civ wise. Judging by Civ 4&5 a West-African civ like the Mali or Songhai would be reasonable. Ethiopia is always a good choice for East-Africa but I don't think they'll be there on release. Also doubt we'll see anybody in Central or Southern Africa either, unless the Zulu manage sneak in again.
Europe, the Middle-East and East Asia are usually pretty well served in civ even on launch.

I'm not too bothered about TSL games themselves, but anything that gives us a more geographically dispersed set of civs (especially some cool new African civs) is welcome in my eyes!

Colonial/modern Australia was a strong possibility for the BNW expansion but Brazil won the position instead. I would arguethat that and their consideration of tsl games definitely puts Australia, or one of the numerous Indigenous nations, forward as a strong contender for a new civ

Canada hopefully? That way the States doesn't get all of North America, also Modern Mexico?

Mexico is kinda made superfluous by the Aztec and Maya who occupy the same territory.
I'd prefer some kind of Native American civ like the Iroquois over the Canadians honestly.

Liex's Civ5 Atlas is a good visual aid for this discussion.

Spoiler :

The most noticeable blank areas are indeed central and south Africa, Australia and Canada.

Kongo and Kanem are possible candidates for occupying the African slots. Or maybe they'll go with a unified Bantu civilization, in the likes of the Celts and the Polynesians?

To represent Canada, the Inuit would be a fine addition, methinks, as there are not many snow civilizations out there.

Australia may be left unoccupied, as I don't think they will find it appealing to add an Australian or Aboriginal civilization.

I think we will see something in Australia, the East Indies, Western North America, Inca + another from South America, More than 1 from Sub-Saharan Africa, Mongols + 1 from Central Asia.

They can just scrap Venise. it was a fun civ but it got old quickly.

i'd say one more north american civ, one more south american civ, australian civ and one central african civ would help a lot already.

I would like to see Canada instead of one of the indian civs. Along with a couple of other nations that help with TSL maps. On civ 6 base game or at least before or with the first expansion.
Australia would be also nice with aboriginals. Maybe free culture for each early game units with a new mechanic.

I think it's reasonable to assume there will be 22 Civs at launch. (Civ 5 before expansions had 18 base + 7 more as DLC) Based on that here's at least a speculative list on my part that I think covers all the areas pretty well:

1: China - confirmed
2: America - confirmed
3: Egypt - confirmed
4: Japan - confirmed
5: India - all but confirmed due to use of perennial series mascot, Mohandas Gandhi, in announcement trailer
6: Mongolia - listed as confirmed by Arioch, while I don't know the source Arioch has a very good track record
7: Rome
8: England/Britain
9: France
10: Russia
11: Germany
12: Greece
13: The Ottomans
14: Persia
15: Siam/Vietnam/Khmer
16: Mali
17: Madgascar (Speculative hopeful to replace Zulu)
18: Aztecs
19: Haida/Salish/Chinook
20: Brazil/Tupi
21: Inca
22: Indonesia/Majapahit

Ideally I would like to drop Germany for another African Civ or perhaps The Maori but I don't think that's very likely. Have to balance out the series regulars who are basically guaranteed with who would actually fill out a TSL map sadly.

I'm also expecting 20-25 civs, but for the highly specious reason that there are 23 weeks from announcement to launch and we have 3 civs announced in the first 2 weeks.

I would like to see Canada instead of one of the indian civs. Along with a couple of other nations that help with TSL maps. On civ 6 base game or at least before or with the first expansion.

Don't we already have enough European/pseudo-European nations? I think for North America US + 1-2 native American tribes are enough for the most part.
What I would really prefer some more African nations instead. Africa is literally empty TSL wise.

Don't we already have enough European/pseudo-European nations? I think for North America US + 1-2 native American tribes are enough for the most part.
What I would really prefer some more African nations instead. Africa is literally empty TSL wise.

Completely agree.

I agree, whatever you do with Canada/Australia they'd still be "one more Anglophone, Western, colonial nation" like America. I prefer more exotic civilisations. On another hand I think both Inuits and Aborigines are not "civilizations" and shouldn't be in civ5, but I'm fine with Canada and Australia being empty.

Africa needs more civilisations the most. It needs Kongo or Swahilli (Kilwa) or Great Zimbabwe. I'd also enjoy some civilisation between Russia (European part), Mongolia and Persia - Khazars, Timurids, Tatars, whatever, they were all cool.

To sum up, in my opinion
less Europeans (Canada, Australia, Venice, Austria, Sweden = meh)
more Africans and Asians

I'd like to see the Franks with Charlemagne...

Or Charlemagne leader of the French.

Charlie should be a hidden leader you can only use if you beat the game on Emperor difficulty as a European civ by 800 A.D. This then unlocks him as a second leader option for the French, Germans, Dutch or any other civ came of his empire. :lol:

I don't see the Zulu being replaced, they are to Civilization what Jigglypuff is to Super Smash Bros. (i.e. totally irrelevant but traditional to the series).
Not to mention they have not much competition as representatives of South Africa.

Top Bottom