Balancing the Victory Conditions

Txurce

Deity
BNW is a transformative leap over G&K, making balance more necessary than ever, and a Culture Victory the most interesting, rather than the least. But the AI in general still gives the player too much of a break, ignoring a tech or gold edge big enough to win a SV or DV. The game could be much more competitive even if the AI weren't smarter on higher levels - just more focused. Example: I just won a SV with Venice in t381... quite slow, after a very slow start. (I ignored the DV available throughout.) At the end Assyria had over 2400 bpt - twice as much as me - but only one SS part built.

It would also be great if a CV weren't so much harder to achieve than the other VC. After playing regularly since the BNW release on Immortal, I've noticed that the AI cannot win a CV even against weak competition. I purposely handicapped myself by building no cultural buildings in the capital besides a monument until the end game, and no Great Works whatsoever anywhere in the empire. In other words, culture couldn't have been worse... but it didn't matter, because other religions overtook mine, and I chose Order after determining it was the majority ideology. This allowed me to stay happy, even though I was swamped culturally. Ethiopia - the leading Cultural player in my game - despite ranking #2 for most of the game, had yet to get past 2 of 6 influences. This tells me that a runaway Assyria would have won a SV over an Ethiopian CV without any problem... and that no contender even considered a DV.

Addressing the VC (at least on the higher levels) should be easy to do - and would make the game much more competitive, But from a balance perspective, making a CV about as achievable for the AI as any other VC would be a great capper to BNW's interesting VC. Right now, cultural "defense" is so easy to achieve by the AI that it makes an AI CV win almost impossible against even a mediocre human effort.

I tried a Cultural Victory Game. I Had everyone culturally dominated except the Mayans who were on a single city wonderbuilding spree. Suffice to say I won my Culture Victory by Conquering those were not under my influence. All you have to do is take their capital I think.

AIs should play better defense and offense against other players wins.

ie If another player is close to a Diplo win, AIs with a lot of money or spies should try to take one of their allies.

If another player is close to any win, the AI should have relations worsen (call it "you are becoming a hegemonic power"). Leading to potential wars/poor cooperation.

Of course, the AI suffers from poor combat. Which the player uses to deal with mid game threats.

Well that is disappointing to hear. AI sucked at culture victories in G&K, too.

With the AI on passive mode and human player able to game the diplo system so easily, domination and diplo victories are out, too.

Looks like the only win the AI can achieve is through science.

Well that is disappointing to hear. AI sucked at culture victories in G&K, too.

With the AI on passive mode and human player able to game the diplo system so easily, domination and diplo victories are out, too.

Looks like the only win the AI can achieve is through science.

If there is Greece or Shoshone in game, you can simply forget about diplo victory.

AIs should play better defense and offense against other players wins.

ie If another player is close to a Diplo win, AIs with a lot of money or spies should try to take one of their allies.

If another player is close to any win, the AI should have relations worsen (call it "you are becoming a hegemonic power"). Leading to potential wars/poor cooperation.

Of course, the AI suffers from poor combat. Which the player uses to deal with mid game threats.

There actually used to be a relations modifier where AI's would start to hate you if they think you're going after the same victory as them, but people complained and it was removed.

If there is Greece or Shoshone in game, you can simply forget about diplo victory.

I don't think that's the case. Ideologies are a very powerful tool for getting CS allies - even if someone dominates the diplomacy game early on, you can easily destroy their early lead with tenets like Arsenal of Democracy and Treaty Organization (from Freedom) or Gunship diplomacy (Autocracy).

However, if Greece, Siam or some other CS hoarder gets either of those first, go for another VC.

Top Bottom