BananaLee's Music Quiz No.1

I could take the level1 songs (that i knew or *saw*) one by one and explain why they are not mainstream. :D (does not apply to all of them)

Will probably do that after you post them all. :devil:

:deadhorse:

Yeah, what HC says, your definition of mainstream certainly doesn't coincide with any definition I've ever come across. :p

Thanks guys, I thought I was getting too old for a moment ;).

A veritable mutiny, it is!
:(

And I'll refute all your claims when I reveal them - so there :p

Answers are up. Congrats to ozbenno! :trophy: You get the bragging rights of being the winner for the first music quiz.

Honourable mentions go to azzaman :trophy2nd: and Niklas + Heretic Cata :trophy3rd:

Another should be up by the weekend ;)

Wow. I don't listin to the radio much, but the only three I caught was MP Bright side of Life, In the air Tonight, and then I remembered the beat from superstylin only because it was on my old DDR game.

Either way it was fun :goodjob:

Okay, I've heard of Muse, Perfect Circle, Keane, Familjen and Red Hot Chilipeppers, actually. But not nearly enough to know any of their songs like that.

And I would still argue that "Under my Skin" would be proper for that part of the Linkin song (I now realize that perhaps I am simply confusing, but I heard it was Linkin Park, memorized that line "under my skin", and youtubed "Linkin park under my skin" - BOOM, exactly the same audio).

The lyrics are "beneath my skin". Apologies for not recognising it but I assumed it would be one of the new songs from their crappy Minutes to Midnight album. Haha

Congratulations Ozbenno, yet another trophy to your collection! :goodjob:

My verdict on the songs:

101 - Metro Station. Never heard of. Looking at wikipedia, the song Shake It was released as a single in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, nowhere else. Surprised - not. Mainstream - not.

102 - Monty Python. Did anyone actually miss this one? The only song rightly categorized as easy.

103 - Silverchair. Never heard, but I googled the lyrics. :p Released in the US, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. I agree with HC that this was pretty decent though.

104 - APC. Yeah I know the band, mostly because I know Tool. Never heard of the song though, and to call APC mainstream... :crazyeye:

105 - Goo Goo Dolls. I've vaguely heard the name. Single released in the US, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Am I starting to sense a pattern here?

106 - Phil Collins. I should have known this one obviously, this was the only :suicide: of the lot, as I knew it would be. But I don't agree it's an easy song to guess, especially with that hard clip.

107 - Muse. I knew this song, but Muse isn't mainstream by a long shot.

108 - Bloc Party. I knew this one too, but Bloc Party certainly isn't mainstream either.

109 - The Ink Spots. I knew this only because I know BL, and we've talked about it before. If you didn't get it already, it's the promo song for Fallout 3. And even if you knew about that, it wasn't an obvious clip.

110 - Linkin Park. Of course I know the band, but never heard of the song. It was released as a single in the US, the UK, Germany, Ireland and Switzerland. I guess you could know it if you owned the record, but such a song doesn't belong in the "easy" section.

201 - RHCP. Know the band of course, never heard the song. I'd say it's rightly categorized though, huge band with a less known song is "medium".

202 - Bobby McFerrin. He was the obvious guess, and I did get it. Also rightly categorized I'd say, since it's such a distinct sound.

203 - Enter Shikari. Never heard of, single only released in the UK where it topped at 146. Definitely hard.

204 - Groove Armada. Never heard of, but they seem pretty well-known so I can guess that it's just not my style. Probably rightly categorized.

205 - Keane. Never heard of. Single released in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands and France. Medium is the lower limit.

301 - Familjen. I think I've heard the name some time. Never heard any of his songs though, and definitely not a million times like you suggested. Album released in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Australia(!). Definitely hard, but I never had a chance.

302 - Underoath. Never heard of, album was only released in the US, though some other songs from the band have been released down under too.

303 - Motor Ace. Never released anything outside Australia and New Zealand.

So all in all, a whole bunch of hard songs, maybe 4-5 medium ones and 1 easy. :p

MY verdict on some of Niklas' verdicts :p :

101 - Metro Station. Never heard of. Looking at wikipedia, the song Shake It was released as a single in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, nowhere else. Surprised - not. Mainstream - not.

:lol: agree there.

102 - Monty Python. Did anyone actually miss this one? The only song rightly categorized as easy.

I knew the song, but I wouldn't say it was the only easy one.

104 - APC. Yeah I know the band, mostly because I know Tool. Never heard of the song though, and to call APC mainstream... :crazyeye:

Can't see the connection since I've not really heard much Tool :(

106 - Phil Collins. I should have known this one obviously, this was the only :suicide: of the lot, as I knew it would be. But I don't agree it's an easy song to guess, especially with that hard clip.

Definately belongs in the easy class, and the clip was fine. Gave it away for me, atleast :p

Muse... Is kind of mainstream. In fact, I believe it's too mainstream for me (depends on your definition of mainstream. Mine is something that everyone listens to despite not having any personal relation to the music). Anyway, I've heard Muse a couple of times and detested most of it, so obviously I had no idea what this song was.

110 - Linkin Park. Of course I know the band, but never heard of the song. It was released as a single in the US, the UK, Germany, Ireland and Switzerland. I guess you could know it if you owned the record, but such a song doesn't belong in the "easy" section.

... Linkin Park is too recognizable and well-known to be harder than "easy" in my opinion. The comment didn't help me here, I'm afraid. Some of the later Linkin Albums (Reanimation comes to mind) are actually decent imo. But yes, minutes to midnight or what its called is definately crap.

201 - RHCP. Know the band of course, never heard the song. I'd say it's rightly categorized though, huge band with a less known song is "medium".

:agree:

202 - Bobby McFerrin. He was the obvious guess, and I did get it. Also rightly categorized I'd say, since it's such a distinct sound.

:yup:

203 - Enter Shikari. Never heard of, single only released in the UK where it topped at 146. Definitely hard.

Actually heard of Enter Shikari. Not heard any of their stuff though...

And all around agree on all three hards. Looking foward to a more normal second round. What's wrong with Sting, Beatles, Dio, Stevie Wonder and Bob Dylan?

Oh and yes I feel :old: to say that despite I might be one of the absolutely youngest here.

Congratulations Ozbenno, yet another trophy to your collection! :goodjob:

My verdict on the songs:

It's one of those songs that'll probably fade away in a very short time, but it was used in a couple of TV ads and presumably played on the new music radio stations here as well. Didn't realise what it was from the clips though.

103 - Silverchair. Never heard, but I googled the lyrics. :p Released in the US, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. I agree with HC that this was pretty decent though.

Silverchair are pretty big, it'd be a stretch to categorise it as Medium or harder IMO.

It was easy for me thanks to youtube and that gorilla drumming ad.

108 - Bloc Party. I knew this one too, but Bloc Party certainly isn't mainstream either.

But, just because it isn't mainstream doesn't mean it should be harder than easy. These two songs in particular have both made top 10 in the Triple J Hottest 100 (yearly poll of favourite 100 songs for the year), so they're definately known.

For an easy song, I did think it was a little obscure.

It was played on rage (Australian music video show) for at least 4 weeks running, IIRC, so it's not completely unknown outside of the UK.
Still, I guess it does belong in hard.

Just like tool - APC is geeky music - so it's far from mainstream.
The song is not one of their most known song. But they are close to mainstream. People in this country even heard of it. :eek:

They are mainstream in england aaaand that's about it. :D

I know of them. If it was my quiz i'd put their well knwon Mothership and it would be on hard.

Well, my definition of mainstream are videos/songs that keep playing over and over and over and over again when I watch the telly or radio. So bite me :p

EDIT: And we can all agree 1 was easier than 2 which was easier than 3. Haha

EDIT 2: I am surprised Papercut wasn't so well known, though. They played it all the time back when they released it - and it was the best single off the Hybrid Theory album..

Top Bottom