Banished - town building colonization survival game

Smithy and school are indeed the very first buildings I'll get when I have the chance.
School will slow down your game without a doubt, but if you don't do it, you will suffer a terrible productivity drop once your first generation of literate people dies.

And remember: You can always free students from a school if you need their manpower by reducing the number of teachers, so it is not that bad.

That has me paranoid, actually--I always keep a couple laborers in reserve just in case the teacher dies of natural causes. No replacement teacher, all those unedumacated kids go and ruin my economy.

So I'm down to 7 adults, 1 child, the youngest adults are 71 and 72.

Year 19.

Mountains, medium terrain size, fair climate, disasters on (none have hit, though), starting conditions hard.

I'm going to call it quits, I think.

I don't think this was a failure, since I've learned a lot.

Sounds like you either got really unlucky with early deaths or you didn't get early houses up quick enough so people could start new families.

Last person died of old age in year 29. I wanted to see the kill screen :devil:

Fertility was my main problem. I didn't know that I needed to provide more bunking rooms for the youths to do their thing.

I also had deadly primary resource shortages, stone and logs. I didn't set up a forester until year 10 or so. Up until then I was clear cutting. Not smart.

My chopping board arrived. Thanks!

Spoiler :

Hmm should have edited the photo size. Oh well.

My pleasure! May it provide you with decades of service :worship:

I suppose I should get off my butt and issue a new challenge. :hmm:

I have trouble with fertility. So let's do something about that! How about a prize awarded for the highest rated Ratio of Children to Adults in any year up to y20.

So you'll need to have your Town overview window visible (or a townhall graph) that displays the number of children and total population.

Like last time, I'll mail off an appropriate little prize (though likely not nearly as useful as a decent cutting board in this context).

7 days x 24 hours from this post.

I'll survey all the screenshots posted here, so even if you think you're not competitive you still might win :devil:

I don't know what you was making in that picture grandad, but it looks delicious.

It was just a salad pitta for lunch!

I'll see what if I can ave a crack at the new challenge.

I have trouble with fertility. So let's do something about that! How about a prize awarded for the highest rated Ratio of Children to Adults in any year up to y20.

So you'll need to have your Town overview window visible (or a townhall graph) that displays the number of children and total population.

Like last time, I'll mail off an appropriate little prize (though likely not nearly as useful as a decent cutting board in this context).

I'll survey all the screenshots posted here, so even if you think you're not competitive you still might win :devil:

Okay, nobody tell metatron about this so we have a chance to win.

How do stundents factor into this?
Do they count as adults?
Do they count as children?
Do they count as neither?

My new town has and had a decent ratio for quite a while, a bit over half, I'll get some pics up soon-ish.

How do stundents factor into this?
Do they count as adults?
Do they count as children?
Do they count as neither?

Gah, you and your pokey questions :old:

Students are not children.

Children, the promise of the future, are only child.

And the screenshot with the greatest ratio of children to adults will merit a prize.

Spoiler :

12 adults
16 children

1.3̅ children per adult

Tried to do better at later dates. Failed to do so.

Okay, nobody tell metatron about this so we have a chance to win.
I have to admit that i got distracted and have barely touched Banished in like 10 days, because i got wind of the fact that EU4 finally makes some sense (when people moan that game mechanics are tough on them that's usually a good sign).

In my estimation the winner here will either do 12/1/17 or some such by virtue of luck or go through some comlicated motions to kill adults of in quarries or with disasters.
I'd love to share any deep insights into mating mechanics and how to do fundamentally better than 50% children in an actual town (past year 2).
But i have no such insights.
I'm sorry.

I am also unable to properly input a vinculum by use of a keyboard. :mischief:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,296
Looks like Metatron's going to win be default unless someone posts soon.

Is there a time stamp on my challenge post? I can't see one, so I don't know exactly when it ends.

Spoiler :

My current town's pop graph. Gah, I wish it was easier to read, I can't tell the exact number of kids I have to adults, though I could swear at points it got quite big.

Looks like Metatron's going to win be default unless someone posts soon.

Is there a time stamp on my challenge post? I can't see one, so I don't know exactly when it ends.

I was out traveling last week. :cry: If you keep it open through Sunday night I can give it a try.

I'd like some advice on settlement / expansion strategy in my current game (only my second)

I could email it to anyone interested, or perhaps there's somewhere to host it? This site won't let me.

Spoiler :

12 adults
16 children

1.3̅ children per adult

Tried to do better at later dates. Failed to do so.

I have to admit that i got distracted and have barely touched Banished in like 10 days, because i got wind of the fact that EU4 finally makes some sense (when people moan that game mechanics are tough on them that's usually a good sign).

In my estimation the winner here will either do 12/1/17 or some such by virtue of luck or go through some comlicated motions to kill adults of in quarries or with disasters.
I'd love to share any deep insights into mating mechanics and how to do fundamentally better than 50% children in an actual town (past year 2).
But i have no such insights.
I'm sorry.

I am also unable to properly input a vinculum by use of a keyboard. :mischief:

Rats, I'm below your figure for the first year. This might turn out to be a luck thing--if you don't get them breeding immediately, then you are screwed.

Top Bottom