Barb or not to Barb

I can't recall ever seeing barb spearmen come to think of it.

It is funny how the barbs suddenly intensify if you are x amount of turns away from completing the GW.. :p

I always play with barbarians on, most of time normal, sometimes raging. I still don't build much of an army in early game, because in all my games I play beyond 1000 BC I always build The Great Wall. It's very nice wonder indeed, both for barbarian defence and Great Spy points. Boosted GG emergence doesn't make much of an effect to my strategies. If barbarian uprising occures near my border, it's the best wonder I can think of, even better than The Pyramids! :) Overall The Pyramids and a couple other wonders are still better, because barbarian uprisings are very rare in my games.

Unless you get an early very unfair uprising!

:o

I can't recall ever seeing barb spearmen come to think of it.

That might depend on your patch level. I think the original Warlords release had a bug that only allowed the Barbs to build Warriors, Archers, and Axemen early in the game.

One of the patches fixed that and you can see Barb Spearment and Chariots, also.

Prior to that patch, I'd almost always skip Archery. Either Bronze or Horses were enough for Barb defense, and it's pretty rare that you can't get one of those two in your first couple of cities.

But once they introduced those Spearmen, the Horses just weren't enough.

Unless you get an early very unfair uprising!

I just got the same. It seems like they don't go away, even if they come around 2300 BC like they came in my game. If they would have come 6 turns later I would have had The Great Wall (was supposed to be completed in 2175 BC). Otherwise it was perfectly-going in my criteriums too, I got Stonehenge and had a gold-mine on plains/hills in Washington's fat cross (I was playing as Roosevelt). That event is almost impossible to survive if you've tryied to get early WWs and then notice 6 Archers are coming and you don't even have time to build more than 1-2 Warriors (I hadn't researched Archery and I didn't have Horses or Copper). I think that it should be made more balanced, either by making it come later or reducing the number of Archers to 2-3 instead of 6.

Near enough built GW?

I am lucky if I had played 25 turns max in that screen shot!

lol

I always keep them on. It adds more challenge and it's funner and more realistic. Although I don't really care about the last one.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom