Barbarian units.

Buck2005

Prince
Hello!

Is there any way to "parallelize" the units the player can produce and the barbarian units? As far as I understand, barbarian units appear in the normal game as players unlock the corresponding technologies. Legion - when opening iron works. Crusaders - monotheism. Etc. Is there a way to prevent the player from building "barbarian units". But they, nevertheless, could still appear in the game as the corresponding technologies were discovered?

Yes, I've heard about the ability of Lua to set up the production of certain units only if there are certain structures in the city. This is a good option for a complex scenario. In this case, my question is related to a "quick game", a very simple mod for a multiplayer game. Like all such "quick mods", this is a one-time project, for a one game. Therefore, I would not want to introduce complex code into the game. Is it possible that there is an easier way to parallelize units?

I think you might be looking for column A in the @ UNITS_ADVANCED section of Rules.txt, labeled as "'tribe may build' mask". The last digit in this column is for tribe 0, the barbarians -- tribes are listed from right to left, so 76543210. If you want only the barbarians to be able to build a certain type of unit, enter "00000001" in column A for that unit type, and that should be all it takes. No human or AI tribe will ever be able to build the unit, but it will still unlock for barbarians as usual based on technologies known, and they could even build it in their cities (if applicable).

2. Simple modding questions:

Modifying barbarian units works great. Many thanks to Knighttime for the help.

An unexpected problem has arisen: players using MGE categorically do not accept the game interface of the original TOT. For me personally, both game interface options are exactly the same. I am comfortable using both. However, I'm currently interested in promoting the extended functionality of TOTPP to MGE players. Therefore, I plan to create the most comfortable and familiar interface for them.

In this connection, the question is, is it possible to completely replace the game interface TOT with an analog of MGE? I suspect this is quite possible, since I vaguely remember, I even saw a similar replacement on some forum. Perhaps someone has already done a similar job. But I can be wrong. On my own, I was only able to find and replace obvious and easily replaceable files like ICONS, CITY, and the like. Where can you get the rest? I tried to search the forum for some files: "Boarder", "Civwin_back", "dialog", however, the search turned up nothing.

I would be grateful for help in this matter.

It's impossible to create the exact same UI because the two games do some different things with font colors. For example, if MGE printed a specific label in a dark gray font (on a light background), TOT might print that label in a light gray font. Therefore, even if it's possible to make the background color the same, doing so would make the text very hard to read.

The best TOT mod I know in terms of replicating the look of MGE is "Classic Skin Set for Test of Time" by Catfish, which can be found here (about 3/4 of the way down the page): http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/jp_miscgraphics.htm. I used this in my Medieval Millennium mod (with maybe just a few minor edits).

Yes, just what I need! The most problematic design elements (which caused the maximum dissatisfaction of the players) are now almost identical to MGE.

Thank you for your fast and efficient help!

Question about types of terrain. What rule is used in them?

The terrain1 file uses three versions of the image of one type of terrain. I marked the deserts with numbers 1, 2 and 3.

2.jpg

Then I opened the map filled with deserts. It seems that the arrangement of 1, 2 and 3 images is subject to some algorithm.

1.jpg

In this connection, the question is: is there an exact description of this algorithm (perhaps someone in the forum has already investigated this pattern)? Is it possible to predict in advance what type of image (1, 2 or 3) will be in an arbitrarily chosen tile with X and Y coordinates when drawing a landscape on a map?

Top Bottom