basuim / hybo

ryansee

Warlord
how do u deal with those 2 on the map? i was playing sp and was illanis decided to get basuim for fun. wht surprised me is all of the rest of the civs where good and after i killed 1 civ basuim had 63 angels how do u deal with that? i dont know wht i would have done if i was against him.

You have to know how they get their angels and plan accordingly. I will attack a civ that has Basium very early if all the civs are good.

You have very few options, generally
(a) convert people to evil religions so fewer units go to Basium when they die.
(b) kill Basium before the other good opponents.
(c) have a very big army.

There is more bad news. Basium won't submit while he is allied to another nation so you either have to kill him or kill his ally before either will submit. The 'good' news is that Basium frequently seems bugged and doesn't move his army outside his borders.

To be honest I don't particularly like Basium always appearing in the game and leaving you with very poor options dealing with him. Sometimes building the gate yourself is another bad option, since Basium does stuff like declare war and give your tech away to vassals. It's worse still when no civs are going to develop the Ashen Veil all game and yet Basium still comes in and blocks most quick routes to ending the game.

Hyborem, on the other hand, always seems to add spice to the game and pushes it towards a climax. It's the shame that the computer AI generally can't get him going. He's great fun to play though.

If you don't like playing with Basium/Hyborem you can select the Compact Enforced option which prevents them from being summoned. I play most games with this option enabled.

It's the shame that the computer AI generally can't get him going. He's great fun to play though.

I gave the Infernals some bonuses in my personal modification, like giving their palace +10 culture so that they won't be engulfed culturally between other civs' borders, giving their palace +10 shields, giving them a slight XP bonus, giving Hybo (and Basy too, to compensate) a munch of extra traits, and placing a very high AI weight on "Add to City" manes' spell. It works.

I remember one Svartalfar game, in which I declared war on Hybo and took almost all of his cities, killing him one time, but then he appeared again, returning from Hippus lands, with a great stack of infernal doom that trapped my SoD and killed it. As a result, I lost that game.

I guess all that might make human Hybo too powerful, though I've never played as him.

Top Bottom