[BELOW MIN SPECS] DX11 to oblivion

petergandalf

Chieftain
When the pop-up to choose DX10/11 or DX9 comes up and I choose DX10/11, the pop up fades away and absolutely nothing happens. No error message, no game. It "recommends" that I choose DX10/11, the button is visible and all seems well, but the game will not start properly when I select it.

If I select DX9 the game starts normally, although it runs rather sluggishly.

This computer is 3 months old with Windows 7. I am wondering if the graphics card does not support DX10/11 even though DX11 is loaded on the computer. It is a GEForce 6150SE nForce 430.

Computer: 4 GB memory, AMD Athlon 2 X2 250 3Ghz processor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You are right, your graphics card only supports DX9 (wiki).
The performance issue is probably because it's significantly below the minimum specs.

No, it is above minimum specs (Athlon X2 64 2.0 Ghz) but below recommended specs.

I guess what I need to know before giving up on the game is how big a performance improvement I would get by upgrading the the graphics card alone--. since I am stuck with the rest of the system. If upgrading the card merely gets me prettier graphics then it would not be worth it, but if it got rid of the jerky/slow scrolling across the map, then it would.

What do you think?

if you can do a pci-e card, with say at least 512 video ram it would help indeed, probably enough to make it worth it. you probably have a pci-e slot since you said its new.

I have like the same computer as you I think. Mine is a couple years old though. I ran it with the integrated 6150se in DX9. It ran but really slow and choppy. I went out today and bought a Radeon 5570. It's a low power card so you don't have to upgrade power supply or anything. It runs awesome now.
My specs are AMD Athlon 64 X 2 2.50
3 gig Ram
Windows Vista 32 bit

No, it is above minimum specs (Athlon X2 64 2.0 Ghz) but below recommended specs.

I guess what I need to know before giving up on the game is how big a performance improvement I would get by upgrading the the graphics card alone--. since I am stuck with the rest of the system. If upgrading the card merely gets me prettier graphics then it would not be worth it, but if it got rid of the jerky/slow scrolling across the map, then it would.

What do you think?
To get reliably rid of the jerkyness, you will need a DX11 card. If you don't rally care about eye candy, a $60 HD5550/5570 would be more than sufficient.

I meant the graphics card, can also have an impact on performance.
And listen to tokala, he seems to know what he is talking about.

Thanks Tokala, I have ordered an HD 5570. It took a while to find a low power low profile version that will fit my 220w power supply and slimline case.

I settled on the Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 since the reviews indicate it takes a maximum of 45 watts at peak, and since it comes low profile ready. I also downloaded and used Microsoft Research's Joulemeter to determine how much power capacity I had left--I seem to be using 130 watts at peak out of the 220 so I hope that the card's 45 watts will be fine.

Once installed and operating, I will post again so that people will know whether this solves the problem.

Yeah the Sapphire is the choice for those slim cases. I went for an XFX 5570. Civ runs awesome now.

Just installed a Radeon HD5570 from NewEgg. Civ5 runs smoothly, easily, looks pretty too. No sign of power problems on my 225w hp Slimline with this low power, low profile card. My processor is more than enough for this game with this card. Couldn't be happier.

my font is screwy too, seems odd that the movie and game terrain look okay but the text of all things is bad with low vid card. I see talk about changing from x9 to x10/11. How does one do this switch? I guessed my way into the options screen but cant read anything in there to try and change it. please help I want to play..

Top Bottom