Beneath the Jade Moon (pre-NES)

Is there a description for Duke Tarquelin somewhere?

I also realized erez claimed land that belongs to me.

The castle Est is under MY dominion.

It's suppose to be the eastern most castle in the area, belonging to the Hanin. it should be right at the border.

Also I am Ok with the area being unstable, especially considering the Assange house have only become a ruling house in the past 20-30 years, and only because of the instability brought by the exploding immigrant population and his own ability with money.

I'll say there are also lots of clashes between the old population and the new comers, especially from that last wave of immigrants.

Wait...Assange?

I still don't see why we're using titles like Earl.

You didn't notice the basic dichotomy between the usage of Earl/Count in Northern/Southern Europe respectively and their usage in the northern and southern regions of the map?

Or are you proposing we make our own language for titles. We could do that but it'd be potentially weird.

I still don't see why we're using titles like Earl.

I don't see why you care so much. Just call Earl Anlan "Lord" in your writings. The problem is solved easily. I don't really see anyone going around and saying, "Earl Anlan", any way -- they would likely say "Lord Anlan"; unless being referred to in an official letter or by court handlers or something.

Then we should have our own unique names for the following:

World
Knight
Castle
Sword
Horse
Emperor
Air

etc.

Since you're doing NaNoWriMo, I'll give you a tip (at least based on anything I've learned about writing): ground your readers and audience. If you have tons of new names and titles for your world, and readers follow them and know them, fine (i.e., it makes some sense that with a setting as broad as EoE, various terms have been crafted over time); but I think (in this setting) it's better to find the closest translation to the language you have grown up around, so that you have a more fluid command of those words and readers won't have to check back to an appendix every time they see something foreign. I'm following the same principle here. I already regret coming up with various titles for religious figures, but I think that's justifiable considering how dramatically different our religion is from Catholicism (and how I really don't want to evoke what we are familiar with when we hear the word "saint" or "cardinal"). Meanwhile, for titles of nobility, the dynamic is quite similar to their historical purpose.

Been reading through the last few pages... Is my best bet starting off in some cold, godforsaken wasteland where I will have minimal interaction with anyone else?

Been reading through the last few pages... Is my best bet starting off in some cold, godforsaken wasteland where I will have minimal interaction with anyone else?

:D It really depends on what you want to play, nutra. Is there anything you had in mind? We can find you a spot close to the Pale City even, I'm sure, as more players near each other = more interaction. But if you want to start off in a cold, godforsaken wasteland, that's fine, too.

edit: You can also choose one of the houses other players have made. Thlayli crafted some incredibly interesting situations. So did bombshoo and North King.

I don't see why you care so much. Just call Earl Anlan "Lord" in your writings. The problem is solved easily. I don't really see anyone going around and saying, "Earl Anlan", any way -- they would likely say "Lord Anlan"; unless being referred to in an official letter or by court handlers or something.

Then we should have our own unique names for the following:

World
Knight
Castle
Sword
Horse
Emperor
Air

etc.

Since you're doing NaNoWriMo, I'll give you a tip (at least based on anything I've learned about writing): ground your readers and audience. If you have tons of new names and titles for your world, and readers follow them and know them, fine (i.e., it makes some sense that with a setting as broad as EoE, various terms have been crafted over time); but I think (in this setting) it's better to find the closest translation to the language you have grown up around, so that you have a more fluid command of those words and readers won't have to check back to an appendix every time they see something foreign. I'm following the same principle here. I already regret coming up with various titles for religious figures, but I think that's justifiable considering how dramatically different our religion is from Catholicism (and how I really don't want to evoke what we are familiar with when we hear the word "saint" or "cardinal"). Meanwhile, for titles of nobility, the dynamic is quite similar to their historical purpose.

I'm confused by this. You think changing the religious titles is acceptable, but keeping titles form merry old England for nobility is fine? I don't see how the title Earl is at all relevant to my house or the political system being developed here. If you want me to just go by Lord in the stories and diplomacy, then why have this weird hierarchy to begin with?

NaNo has nothing to do with this beyond you being snarky, so I'll ignore that.

Luckymoose said:
I'm confused by this. You think changing the religious titles is acceptable, but keeping titles form merry old England for nobility is fine? I don't see how the title Earl is at all relevant to my house or the political system being developed here. If you want me to just go by Lord in the stories and diplomacy, then why have this weird hierarchy to begin with?

I think I explained it just fine; both why political titles can be used and why religious titles cannot, and why you might use Lord in your stories, while your title might become relevant in other political circles.

Luckymoose said:
NaNo has nothing to do with this beyond you being snarky, so I'll ignore that.

I actually wasn't being snarky. I just know you like to write stories in NESes, and I know you are participating in NaNo, so I sought to link the two in my post responding to your criticism of the title "Earl".

I think I explained it just fine; both why political titles can be used and why religious titles cannot, and why you might use Lord in your stories, while your title might become relevant in other political circles.

So why can't we just be Lords? What is the point of placing this system on the world that is going to be ignored anyway? The title Earl doesn't aid me in understanding my role in the world. I'm not sure what the point of it was to begin with.

So why can't we just be Lords? What is the point of placing this system on the world that is going to be ignored anyway? The title Earl doesn't aid me in understanding my role in the world. I'm not sure what the point of it was to begin with.

Some lords have more power than other lords. Some lords rule over other lords. The lord that rules over the other lords has a fancier title to indicate that he rules over other lords. This is what people commonly associate with 'feudalism'.

...do we really need to go through this?

Some lords have more power than other lords. Some lords rule over other lords. This is what people commonly associate with 'feudalism'.

...do we really need to do this?

Then why am I an Earl and not a Duke? The ranking, as is, seems insulting. :p

Then why am I an Earl and not a Duke? The ranking, as is, seems insulting. :p

Insulting on in-character level? It probably should be, to some extent. I don't think it's insulting at all for the player though. At least any more than playing in a standard NES where the USA is referred to as a Great Power, and Romania referred to as a minor power.

Insulting on in-character level? It probably should be, to some extent. I don't think it's insulting at all for the player though. At least any more than playing in a standard NES where the USA is referred to as a Great Power, and Romania referred to as a minor power.

Yes, but in this case House Anlan is a more powerful house with vassals underneath it, so it shouldn't be considered a Romania. :p

Top Bottom