Best Civ possible (made from existing civs)

The Islander

Chieftain
It's been a while, but I recently started playing Civ V again, and i'm not sure if a thread like this already exists, but I was thinking if you could cobble together a civ, from all civs in the game, what civ/leader ability, UU, UB, UI would you go for to make your ultimate, ridiculously overpowered, god-tier Civ? Or just a civ that you would like to play with?

I'm not sure if this thread will work, as there are some blatently over powered civs, so I don't just nean the best in the game, but your favourite things all rolled into one.

For me:

Leader ability - pachacuti - hill bias start + mivement bonus on hills

UU - Arabia - Camel archer

UB - Ethiopia - Stele

Well Rounded for early and mid game snowballing.
UU: Pathfinder
UA: Solidarity (Casimir III - Poland)
UB: Pyramid
UI: Kasbah
Start Bias: Desert

One too many uniques but they are technically all different unlike a lot of civs who have 2 UUs that could be current era.
If I have to give up something, remove Kasbah and change the start bias to probably to one of the 'avoids'.

Worst Combo:
Start Bias: Plains
UA: Serenissima (Venice)
UU: Sea Beggar or Nau, but any ship will do. (No unique merchants for Serenissima, you will only have 1 from researching optics) (Chances of getting a coastal plains is very rare)
UI: Polder (requires Marsh or Flood plains)
UB: Walls of Babylon (will allow you to stay in the game just a little bit longer)

there's that BAU mod on Steam Workshop which mashed all civ uniques together

Well Rounded for early and mid game snowballing.
UU: Pathfinder
UA: Solidarity (Casimir III - Poland)
UB: Pyramid
UI: Kasbah
Start Bias: Desert

One too many uniques but they are technically all different unlike a lot of civs who have 2 UUs that could be current era.
If I have to give up something, remove Kasbah and change the start bias to probably to one of the 'avoids'.

Worst Combo:
Start Bias: Plains
UA: Serenissima (Venice)
UU: Sea Beggar or Nau, but any ship will do. (No unique merchants for Serenissima, you will only have 1 from researching optics) (Chances of getting a coastal plains is very rare)
UI: Polder (requires Marsh or Flood plains)
UB: Walls of Babylon (will allow you to stay in the game just a little bit longer)

Kasbah? That’s a funny way to spell “terrace farm” ;)

Camel Archer
Casbah
Satrap's Court
Gateway to Africa
Desert bias
Desert Folklore, Tithe, Pagodas

I like to win playing wide Liberty-Commerce-Patronage Diplomatic Victory, keying on Petra, Machu, Forbidden Palace. This lineup of abilities would have a player rolling in gold and happiness.

UA: Solidarity - creates the impossible
UU: Pathfinder - rapidly getting tech, culture, gold, faith, pop at will is godlike, also upgrades to CB
UB: Floating Garden - the special modifier is ridiculous
UI: Terrace Farm - useful (compared to chateau/moai/kasbah) come early enough (medieval UIs) and does not require difficult terrain (polder)

For domination Victory is Shaka for sure, the best way to win in this way is having good units, and his ability to need less XP to upgrade and also the fact the Impi attack twice (that means twice XP) is really strong. Also, they can move 3 SPOTS if you build an Ikanda before start building your units... C'omon... and just to make everything even more OVER POWER they pay less to maintenance units!! More one thing, the Impi don't need Iron and upgrade to riflemans, that means you can just doing Impi the entire game and also have a strong military when arriving in industrial era, the only bad thing is to survive de renascence period because Impi is way weaker than Musketman, but if you clever you will be able to survive that. PS, for Shaka Game a recommend to choice commerce because Landsknecht also have the promotions Buffalo Chest, Horn and Loins and upgrade to Lancer WITH 5 MOVEMENTS (6 with promotions) and not paying movements to pilage, you can easily pillage all cities you don't want capture and make 200 golds in just one turn with just one Lancer :eek:

UA: Solidarity - creates the impossible
UU: Pathfinder - rapidly getting tech, culture, gold, faith, pop at will is godlike, also upgrades to CB
UB: Floating Garden - the special modifier is ridiculous
UI: Terrace Farm - useful (compared to chateau/moai/kasbah) come early enough (medieval UIs) and does not require difficult terrain (polder)

The Aztecs are my favorite civ, but Floating Garden isn't good, because is kind of hard to find lakes in this game, because if the lake is big the game will act as a sea and don't will have a bonus, most of the times I just find lakes of one or two tiles, and for that is better to do a city next a river :sad:

I try to do a lot of games with Aztecs and choice maps there I thought will be easy to find lakes, first I chose the lake map (but in fact the lakes was inland seas), then I try East USA, but the same problem, the big lakes was inland seas, then I try North America map, there the big lakes was lakes, but my start position was in Florida and when I capture the Celt's capital in the big lakes I don't annex the city, I was always waiting the game choice building the Floating Garden, but never happen :lol:
(The other lakes were occupied for Shaka, and he was the last civ I capture in my domination strategy) (Actually, they was the first I declared war, but they are really tough and I am just able to defeat them when I am already REALLY strong because they build China's wall).

One time I also try to play in Carribean map, not with Aztecs, around Nicaragua have THE MOST AMAZING lake to set an Aztec city, but if you don't born next there, you don't will have any other lake in the entire map.

Last edited by a moderator:
For domination Victory is Shaka for sure, the best way to win in this way is having good units, and his ability to need less XP to upgrade and also the fact the Impi attack twice (that means twice XP) is really strong. Also, they can move 3 SPOTS if you build an Ikanda before start building your units... C'omon... and just to make everything even more OVER POWER they pay less to maintenance units!! More one thing, the Impi don't need Iron and upgrade to riflemans, that means you can just doing Impi the entire game and also have a strong military when arriving in industrial era, the only bad thing is to survive de renascence period because Impi is way weaker than Musketman, but if you clever you will be able to survive that. PS, for Shaka Game a recommend to choice commerce because Landsknecht also have the promotions Buffalo Chest, Horn and Loins and upgrade to Lancer WITH 5 MOVEMENTS (6 with promotions) and not paying movements to pilage, you can easily pillage all cities you don't want capture and make 200 golds in just one turn with just one Lancer :eek:

The Aztecs are my favorite civ, but Floating Garden isn't good, because is kind of hard to find lakes in this game, because if the lake is big the game will act as a sea and don't will have a bonus, most of the times I just find lakes of one or two tiles, and for that is better to do a city next a river :sad:

I try to do a lot of games with Aztecs and choice maps there I thought will be easy to find lakes, first I chose the lake map (but in fact the lakes was inland seas), then I try East USA, but the same problem, the big lakes was inland seas, then I try North America map, there the big lakes was lakes, but my start position was in Florida and when I capture the Celt's capital in the big lakes I don't annex the city, I was always waiting the game choice building the Floating Garden, but never happen :lol:
(The other lakes were occupied for Shaka, and he was the last civ I capture in my domination strategy) (Actually, they was the first I declared war, but they are really tough and I am just able to defeat them when I am already REALLY strong because they build China's wall).

One time I also try to play in Carribean map, not with Aztecs, around Nicaragua have THE MOST AMAZING lake to set an Aztec city, but if you don't born next there, you don't will have any other lake in the entire map.
The best part about Floating Gardens is not +2 food per lake, it's permanent +15% food bonus. Unlike most other abilities which gives +city growth, this one directly gives food (i once have a city starving at -2, i bought this and it jumped to +0.9 immediately) which is then multiplied by city growth, and kept by aqueducts.

And as an Aztec, add the T. of Artemis for 10% food for ALL cities, plus a 15% boost to range units .

1) UA: Sacrificial Captives, UB: Ikanda, UI: Moai, UU: Pictish Warrior.

With this civ I would go to war as soon as I have my Heroic Epic, but I wouldn't capture cities, just keep killing enemies. Any forward settling would of course be undone (cities to be razed asap). World Wonders I would go for: as many as possible (if I have them, no one else does), but Stonehenge, Pyramids, Hanging Gardens, Borobudur, Mosque Of Djenne, Forbidden Palace, Uffizi, Sistine Chapel, Louvre, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Neuschwanstein, ... would be highly prioritized.

Social Policies: Tradition & Honor (full) to begin with. Liberty for The Pyramids, Piety only up to Reformation Belief: To The Glory Of God. Later as much of Patronage & Aesthetics as possible. Still later Commerce & Rationalism.

Ideology: most probably Freedom.

2) UA: Monument Builders, UB: Hanse, UI: Terrace Farms, UU: Minuteman.

With this civ I would go to war as soon as I have my first Minuteman (built in the city where I built my Heroic Epic, and hopefully Alhambra), and keep killing enemies for Golden Ages. All of my trade routes would go to City States, so that I don't suffer from my Renaissance-era warring. I would of course go for as many World Wonders as possible; Temple Of Artemis, Parthenon, Hanging Gardens, Petra, Chichen Itza & Leaning Tower Of Pisa being high on the priority list. In fact, all Renaissance & later wonders should be mine!!!

Social Policies: Tradition (for Aristocracy), Liberty (-> many cities), Honor (full). If possible: lots of Patronage & Aesthetics. Later: Commerce & Rationalism

Ideology: most probably Freedom.

3) UA: Achaemenid Legacy, UB: Paper Maker, UI: Terrace Farms, UU: Minuteman.

A variation on 2), with perhaps a little less World Wonders (but maybe not!). Same goals, same Social Policies, same Ideology.

For my playstyle, which is focused on scientific, cultural, or diplo victories:

Ability: Egypt? Poland?
Unit: Pathfinder
Building: Floating Garden
Improvement: Terrace Farm

UA: Byzantine
UU: Pictish warrior
UB: Floating garden

Build another warrior first, hope for ruins to upgrade them ASAP, hit the barbies hard...and make the religion to your liking. Combine Floating gardens with ToA and growth bonuses from religion, and you've got population explosion.

Hill bias

UA: Ingenuity (Babylon)
UB: Floating Garden
UU: Camel Archer
UI: Terrace Farm

EZ.

There's a modded Civ called Ultimate led by Ozymandias that combines all the advantages of the different Civs. Combining Pathfinders with the ability to cross oceans on turn one and 500 gold for wonders is bonkers OP. They can be fun to play with but they get old fast because they're way too strong.

btw, if you know basic coding of the game, you can mod things around and mix&match abilities as you like, including in scenarios too!

Definitely double trade routes by Venice, and:
UB: Hanse by Germany (load those trade routes to create massive production)
UU: Longbowmen by the English, or Chinese bowmen

Top Bottom