Best follower belief?

On king and below (maybe emperor), divine inspiration is the best. Otherwise I like pagodas and mosques. Religious center can be good when you go with piety. And religious centres.

I like papal primacy a lot for founder, because I get to spread my religion as quests. But that of course depends on the map's CS count.

The best follower is situation dependent.
If you are planning sacred sites; then you want 2 (3 if Byzantine) follower beliefs with religious buildings.

If you have 3+ local Wine and/or Incense: Monasteries. (Pay for themselves really quickly).
Synergies for your second follower belief are those with happiness bonuses.

Otherwise, if you are planning a Cultural Victory you may want Cathedrals as your first follower (if not already taken) just for extra art spots. (As a combo of getting some more tourism for art spots early and later having more room for Artifacts)
For your second follower synergies are: (With Aesthetics: The one granting 2 happiness from the boring Temple / to a lesser extent the one granting 1 happiness from the even more boring Shrine. (If you didn't go Piety you probably will have trouble filling a second set of full priced religious buildings before the Industrial era begins)

Another fine choice for the first follower is the one granting 2 happiness from the boring Temple. (Here you are grabbing it first before it would do much good simply to keep AIs that found a religion after you but before you enhance from getting it)
The normal synergy for this as second follower is Feed the World, granting food to the same buildings.

If not worried about happiness (if on a coastal map and planning on dipping into top right of Exploration OR dipping into Patronage for consulates with plans on actively doing quests) then Feed the World will probably be very useful for your first follower to allow a bit more growth.
For the second follower, if you weren't worried about happiness before but now are, then any remaining happiness one will work. But if happiness still isn't an issue, then the one granting production bonuses.

If you are confident you will be able to enhance your religion quickly go cathedral and then if possible pagodas. If your faith isn't all that great i suggest picking the solid 2 hapiness, 2 culture and 2 faith from the pagoda and if all other religious buildings have been taken before you can enhance your religion just take religious community

Depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are planning to spread a religion around the world then the buildings are not great because you have to spend faith on them instead of missionaries. Yeah, they ramp up your faith over time, but by then somebody elses's religion will be everywhere.

If you are not planning on spreading, and you want to go tall, then feed the world is also good. More food is more science. In combination with fertility rites and the growth benefits from tradition you can get a truly massive capitol.

If you are a war monger then anything that generates happiness is good, religious center is good, some of your puppets will even build it, where they will never get a pagoda or cathedral.

Really situation dependent.

Cathedrals can be a good follower belief because of the early artist slot. You can make great works of art earlier without making museums and at any time without worrying where to match them like you do in the museum for the theming bonuses.

Cathedrals are my personal fav. I love Great Works, so the art slots provided by Cathedrals are *crucial*.

Then again, I also love the Royal Library (one of my favorite UB's) so maybe I'm just weird...:hammer2:

I couldn't pick, it really depends on context. The RB's are great, but are just as great for neighbors therefore aren't the best if you intend to spread your religion aggressively as they benefit neighbors a lot AND require you to take faith away from missionaries and prophets.

Religious community and swords into plowshares are all solid if you plan to not spread far beyond your borders and don't want to have to spend loads of faith to get the effect.

If you plan to get a large percentage of faith points from shrine/temple extra happiness or culture on those temples or feed the world can be quite powerful (probably not "the best" though). However, you shouldn't snub getting passive extras on a building you'll build a lot of so think about that when picking. (In combination with piety all these become even better)

The free benefits to neighbors shouldn't be overlooked.
Certain ones can be more effective for you than neighbors--whereas others benefit the same.

I play on Immortal and unless I have a desert start with Folklore or a faith NW, its hard to generate enough faith to buy a lot of Pagodas etc or even spread my religion beyond my borders.

For these reasons I usually get Religious Community and Swords into Plowshares.

Religious Community is essentially 15% production to your entire empire once spread to your own cities and they have grown. That really adds up for World Fair etc and building later wonders too. I pick it almost every game alongside tithe.

Someone recently said Feed the World is better than Swords to Plowshares however as raw food is better than growth %, anyone wish to verify this? Thx

I play on Immortal and unless I have a desert start with Folklore or a faith NW, its hard to generate enough faith to buy a lot of Pagodas etc or even spread my religion beyond my borders.

For these reasons I usually get Religious Community and Swords into Plowshares.

Religious Community is essentially 15% production to your entire empire once spread to your own cities and they have grown. That really adds up for World Fair etc and building later wonders too. I pick it almost every game alongside tithe.

Someone recently said Feed the World is better than Swords to Plowshares however as raw food is better than growth %, anyone wish to verify this? Thx

Feed the World gives you 2 food if you have both a Shrine and a Temple. To get 2 food with Swords to Plowshares, you need to have 14 excess food, which is quite a lot. The 2 food from Feed the World is also multiplied by any other growth or food multipliers, whereas the extra growth from Swords to Plowshares is not. So if you have full Tradition, you get an extra 25% growth and Feed the World would get you a net benefits of 2.5 food. StP would need a food excess of 17 to get better results. Of course StP doesn't need any buildings to function, but if you are going to get Temples anyway, FtW is better in most situations. StP can give more growth later in the game, although you are more likely to be at war then.

Feed the World gives you 2 food if you have both a Shrine and a Temple. To get 2 food with Swords to Plowshares, you need to have 14 excess food, which is quite a lot. The 2 food from Feed the World is also multiplied by any other growth or food multipliers, whereas the extra growth from Swords to Plowshares is not. So if you have full Tradition, you get an extra 25% growth and Feed the World would get you a net benefits of 2.5 food. StP would need a food excess of 17 to get better results. Of course StP doesn't need any buildings to function, but if you are going to get Temples anyway, FtW is better in most situations. StP can give more growth later in the game, although you are more likely to be at war then.

Cheers for the great answer

Guess I'll pick Feed the World from now on. Early growth is more important as it gets science and production running. I also build shrines and temples in every city as I always want faith to purchase that extra GS or GE come the Industrial Era. Sometimes I even dip into Piety for the extra faith and 25% gold from temples if my policy acquisition is good enough.

If I have Fertility Rites and Temple of Artemis I'm guessing those multipliers will further increase the power of Feed the World? On that note I had those two plus Swords into Plowshares AND Feed the World in my last Dutch game. My capital was at 63 pop at the end of the game.

I always seem to find myself choosing Pagodas first. 2 Happiness, culture & Faith is very nice (think of it as a free Temple, Monument & Coliseum.
If you happen to get lots of wine/incense then Monasteries are also very good, they require a lot less faith then the other religious buildings to purchase so you can get the benefits much quicker.

Religious community is another favourite of mine. +15% production with 15 religious followers is quite powerful and very useful if your not playing wide and have a few tall cities. I find the AIs don't tend to pick this belief very often so if you're late to a religion and you're not interested in converting the world, this belief can be very good to keep on your own cities.

Another thing to note is that StP in multiplayer might not be too good since your opponent can just decide to declare war on you and never make peace. But that's another subject.

+17 food is not that much in cap, usually you have +30 to +60 food in cap when you get civil service, also building temples is usually a mistake, and sometimes builings shrines is aswell.

Top Bottom