Best video games of all time?

That game isn't even out yet... you can't know its even going to do well. You can hope all you want, but you won't know until people actually play it.
yeah I agree but it looks good

and hopin to become good
I said that already

I know it comes end of year or next year

And it (excessive complaining) is a fine German tradition that gives us a reputation for perfectionism :)

But seriously, this is like bringing up cover art and paper stock in a discussion about the best book ever and adding 'hopefully the content will be good too'.

Ugh I can't name a bast game overall but I think I can do it by genre.

FPS = Doom I & II with BF:BC2 close behind
TPS = Star Wars: Battlefront 2
TBS = Civilization II or IV
RTS = Halo Wars (I'll probably get yelled at for this but I think it's fantastic)
Puzzle = Portal 1 & 2 by 1000s of miles
RPG = Fallout 3/New Vegas (Fallout 3 for the story and Vegas for the improved gameplay.)
Music = Rock Band 3 (Ya toll me if you want I enjoy it)
Simulation = Sim City 3000 (SC4 is good but too slow for my tastes)

And it (excessive complaining) is a fine German tradition that gives us a reputation for perfectionism :)

But seriously, this is like bringing up cover art and paper stock in a discussion about the best book ever and adding 'hopefully the content will be good too'.

no idea who told you to say blubber

no idea who told you to say blubber
What? Who said anything about blubber? :confused:

Anyway, I'm with Iranon. This isn't "best video game trailer of all time". Trailers are notorious for showing features that aren't really in the game itself.

Hmmm, I think I may have already mentioned this but, Planescape: Torment is indisputably the best game of all time. Ever.

Planescape? I love the game, but I'm not sure if it is undisputably the best. I'd say it's the best RPG story. Although I'd say the Baldur's Gate series ties it. But since that is multiple games, it wouldn't be fair to compare it to just one game.

Best TBS: Civilization 4 (honorable mention to SMAC)
Best rpg: Fallout: New Vegas (maybe I'm biased because I'm from the region)
Best story: Planescape: Torment
Best old school TBS: X-com (the first one of course)

I don't play enough of other genres to really make an informed opinion on them. Shooters and sports games I get too bored of quickly. I need a story to draw me in.

RPG: TES IV: Oblivion (FO3 is a close second)
Shooter: Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Strategy: Civ III
Sandbox: Saints Row 2
Simulation: Sims 2/3, I can't decide yet

Planescape? I love the game, but I'm not sure if it is undisputably the best. I'd say it's the best RPG story. Although I'd say the Baldur's Gate series ties it. But since that is multiple games, it wouldn't be fair to compare it to just one game.
The depth and writing quality of Torment crushes anything that has ever been produced on computer (and most of what has been produced, period). That makes it deserving of the title !

BG is certainly more "epic" in its size, but no, seriously, the story can't be compared.
Best TBS: Civilization 4 (honorable mention to SMAC)
Best rpg: Fallout: New Vegas (maybe I'm biased because I'm from the region)
Best story: Planescape: Torment
Quite a good choice here.
Best old school TBS: X-com (the first one of course)
I'd go for Master of Magic on this one.

I have a few games among my favorites. But I don't think I can list them in any particular order, since they are so different from each other.

Monster Hunter Tri:
This game introduced me to the Japanese equivalent of World of Warcraft. It is one of the most challenging modern games out there, where almost none of the challenges consist of cheap deaths. It is one of those games where you start out as one who dies continuously throughout a fight against a small raptor-like monster, to a full-fledged and skilled blademaster who can defeat a great dragon, not in a fight of strength, but a fight of wit. I love the game's gameplay-style, where you are the mouse in a cat-and-mouse chase, but yet can prevail because you can use nimble movements, or advanced equipment to encounter a massive beast's aggressive behavior. It is a game where you must learn from your mistakes. Because you will be making a lot of them.

Okami:
One of the best action-adventure games out there in my opinion. Okami is a game which heavily empathizes with the Japanese culture, and has a neat focus on Japanese folklore. Even so, it has a storyline which is interesting, has some memorable characters and villains, has a serene atmosphere, crisp and responsive gameplay (with some exceptions), and some great music. I swear, I never really liked Japanese folk-music before I got into this game.

Team Fortress 2:
There's not as much to say as other people have said on the thread, since I'm new to it. The game doesn't seem to be very deep with its gameplay-mechanics, like Monster Hunter, but it's tremendously fun, is friendly towards players of every skill-level, and has some of the best humor I've seen in a while. Really just a game where there will be lots of laughs, and casual play is also something one can decide to rely on, because the only saved information will be your own personal scores compared to your past deeds. Very lighthearted and refreshing.

Little Big Planet 1 and 2:
Essentially, they're both the same game, so I'm just going to list them both like this.
I believe this is something that has come down from the heavens for creative platform-game-enthusiasts. The focus on the level-creator is what has made this game, and just going online to see what people have made can be a blast. Also 4-player co-op in almost every part of the game? Yes thank you!

I would list more, but that would make this list way too long. haha

When I think of the games that really got me hooked, I think of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI/III for the Super Nintendo--those were the first RPGs I played through, and while there are a few rare gems later on, those rank at the top of my list in the genre. I also loved FF Tactics, and I feel that FF8 is a little underrated in the FF series. But to this day, nothing has matched CT, and given the happy nostalgia factor, I doubt any new RPG can dislodge it from the #1 spot.

When it comes to grand strategy games, I started with a classic DOS masterpiece: Master of Orion. I still play it time to time. It had an absurdly simple planetary management and combat system, which was easy to learn. It really shined in ship customization, though--you get to design and build your own ships! It's a shame Microprose went under... they would have rocked the gaming world today.

I got started on Civ2 as well, played Civ3 and lurked on these boards for awhile, but it was Civ4 that turned me into a dedicated turn-based gamer. I signed up here, started modding, and worked on strategies far more than I have for any other game. In terms of dollars per hour of entertainment, Civ4 is probably the best value on any game I have ever played.

What else... Portal, I think, is one of the most creative games of the last decade, and it makes my top 5 list. It's a first person shooter... with no shooter. Brilliant! I haven't bought Portal 2 yet, largely because I'm now condemned to a 4-year old laptop that doesn't have the ability to play new games.

Finally, my current gaming is shifting to board games (I play a lot now that I have a good and reliable group) and a little bit of Paradox/AGEod stuff (EU3, Victoria 2, HoI3, RoP, BoA2, etc.). They are working their way to the top, but I don't have the history with these games that I have with the others. So they lose the top spots to nostalgia.

So, my top 4 of all time, no particular order:
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Master of Orion
  • Civ4
  • Portal

The #5 spot has too many contenders for me to pick from. :crazyeye:

Nice post, I almost could have posted exactly the same thing. And we must be the same age.

When I think of the games that really got me hooked, I think of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI/III for the Super Nintendo--those were the first RPGs I played through, and while there are a few rare gems later on, those rank at the top of my list in the genre. I also loved FF Tactics, and I feel that FF8 is a little underrated in the FF series. But to this day, nothing has matched CT, and given the happy nostalgia factor, I doubt any new RPG can dislodge it from the #1 spot.

It is hard to dislodge those first games we played... However, the SNES is really where things started to shine. Although I was there playing as very young kid on the Coleco and NES, it's really with these types of SNES games that I started gaming more. Yeah, I'm also in the Chrono camp.

There's something about being younger and only having so much money or so much opportunities to beg parents for games. This is why I have such fond memories of SNES games and earlier PC games that I played on a 486 PC, or my Pentium 100, or later on. From Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, the old Ultima games, Wizardry and Bard's Tale, and old strategy games. Going into more evolved stuff like Warcraft 2, Heroes of Might and Magic II, the first Diablo games, etc. At the time, I only could get one game and had to have fun with it for like half a year if not more. Nowadays, it seems the easiness of buying a lot of games (and the borderline over-abundance of them!) almost makes me jaded to some extent.

Finally, my current gaming is shifting to board games (I play a lot now that I have a good and reliable group) and a little bit of Paradox/AGEod stuff (EU3, Victoria 2, HoI3, RoP, BoA2, etc.). They are working their way to the top, but I don't have the history with these games that I have with the others. So they lose the top spots to nostalgia.

The same thing is happening to me, although I'd add pen and paper RPGs. The hardest thing is finding and keeping a group going. But I played AD&D pen and paper as a young teenager and despite everything I've said about PC and console gaming up there, nothing beats games that provide you with a real infinity of worlds. I've been getting back to that root a bit more, as hard as it can be to manage.

wasn't it agreed a long time ago that Ocarina of Time was the all time best?

also, to those that list Oblivion I guess you haven't played Morrowind? it hasn't aged well, but when it came out it just blew everything out of the water way more than Oblivion did :)

Ocarina of Time is far from the all time best. It's a great game, but it's nothing special to those who didn't play the game when it first came out.
That is at least how I feel about it. It may be revolutionary, but it still had serious design-flaws.

Nice post, I almost could have posted exactly the same thing. And we must be the same age.

Glad to have some fellow posters with good taste. :)

It is hard to dislodge those first games we played... However, the SNES is really where things started to shine. Although I was there playing as very young kid on the Coleco and NES, it's really with these types of SNES games that I started gaming more. Yeah, I'm also in the Chrono camp.

There's something about being younger and only having so much money or so much opportunities to beg parents for games. This is why I have such fond memories of SNES games and earlier PC games that I played on a 486 PC, or my Pentium 100, or later on. From Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, the old Ultima games, Wizardry and Bard's Tale, and old strategy games. Going into more evolved stuff like Warcraft 2, Heroes of Might and Magic II, the first Diablo games, etc. At the time, I only could get one game and had to have fun with it for like half a year if not more. Nowadays, it seems the easiness of buying a lot of games (and the borderline over-abundance of them!) almost makes me jaded to some extent.

I've never been an RTS fan (quite the opposite, actually) and I tend to not like FPS either (BF 1942 and Rainbow Six being the two exceptions, but largely because we used to play those a lot in high school with my friends.

It's an odd trend: I tended to have more games as a kid but with less purchasing power. Now, even though I could buy tons more, I don't, and I have a smaller cadre of games that I stick with.

The same thing is happening to me, although I'd add pen and paper RPGs. The hardest thing is finding and keeping a group going. But I played AD&D pen and paper as a young teenager and despite everything I've said about PC and console gaming up there, nothing beats games that provide you with a real infinity of worlds. I've been getting back to that root a bit more, as hard as it can be to manage.

I have never been able to get a good, reliable D&D group. I used to play 2nd ed. AD&D with some neighbor kids, and briefly in high-school and first semester college I had a 3rd ed. gaming group, but everyone moved away (including myself). So that fell apart.

I still have the campaign world though, and look at it time to time.

[to_xp]Gekko;10973441 said:
wasn't it agreed a long time ago that Ocarina of Time was the all time best?

also, to those that list Oblivion I guess you haven't played Morrowind? it hasn't aged well, but when it came out it just blew everything out of the water way more than Oblivion did :)

Heh, I sure didn't agree to that. Great game, but it's not topping my list.

I played both Morrowind and Oblivion, but never finished them. The world was great from an immersion perspective, but my pack-rat nature was not a good fit for those games.

Well my own favorites are:

Another World (Amiga, action/adventure)
Secret of Mana (Snes, Japanese RPG)
Civilization II and Civilization III (PC, strategy)
Utopia: the creation of a nation, and Utopia II (aka K240) (PC, strategy)

Top Bottom