Beta 13

3Miro

Deity
Hi Everyone,

after months delay and lots of work, we finally have Beta 13. The balance is still somewhat broken, but overall the AI should behave close enough to real history. The AI is also much much better now.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rfceurope/

The big changes are the improved AI and the new Merc scheme. Mercs should be common and useful now. We also have more changes than in any other release yet.

Here is the mostly complete changelog:

Spoiler :

Major Changes:
- New Mercenary scheme:
- You cannot contract your units out (basicaly sell) as mercenaries anymore, mercs are only there to hire them
- Mercs are tied to provinces, thus we can have region specific mercs. Also they appear in the given province when hired
- Mercenaries are also tied to specific intervals on the timeline
- Added a bunch of generic mercs, they can be updated with specific names later on
- Added the following unique mercenaries: Condottiero, Swiss Pikeman, Almogavar, Black Guard, Varangian Guard, Huscarl, Hackapell, Reiter, Zaporozhian Cossack, Don Cossack (more to come in later versions)
- Readded Tagmata, Corsair, Welsh Longbowman, Highlander as unique mercenaries (some of these also availeable as barbs)
- Update to Merc Mechanics: Mercs are only available at one province at a time
- Mercs can also randomly leave the pool
- You can only hire a merc in a province where you have at least one city with 10 culture points (culture level more than poor)
- The player gets a message when new Mercs become available
- If a player doesn't have enough gold to support the currently hired mercs, then some of the mercs will desert
- Revised crusade mechanics:
- Some of the crusader units will leave after capturing Jerusalem
- Templars and Teutonic Knights never return, and they can be hired as mercenaries in the region, especially around Jerusalem
- Added Jerusalem Minor Nation so that it will revolt against the Crusaders and make it hard to keep Jerusalem
- Syria also got minor nation status, so Damascus won't be a so tempting target. The goal is to make Jerusalem the most important city in the region for the player too
- Jerusalem is on a relic bonus (so the contoller of the city gets a relic resource)
- Golden Age now allows for Anarchy-free change of Civics and Religion (like in regular BtS)
- Interface:
- New screen to display which colonies have been built.
- The Main Screen shows the percent penalty for researching techs early or late
- New starting theme (intro screen with Bayeaux Tapestry)
Note: since the Bayeaux Tapestry doesn't work properly yet, we replaced it with a statis image of The Siege of Acre, at least for now
- Adjusted Dawn of Man screen

General changes and UHV updates:
- Madeira added to first Portuguese UHV
- Viking UHV requires 50 Viking Points
- No animals anymore (they are completely removed from the mod)
- Great Generals no longer leave for the Crusades
- Techs can be traded 10 turns after they have been researched regardless of the timeline
- New UP for Turkey, they get free Units for foreign religion in their cities
- Cannot declare war on newly spawned players for X turns (X can be set in RFCEBalance.py). Currently 5 turns
- Readded National Epic and Temple Mount as separate wonders (as a National Wonder and the Jewish Shrine)
- Updated the UHVs affected by the province changes (Lithuania, Moscow, Kiev, Sweden)
- Added missing provinces for a few UHVs (some of the above ones + Austria and Poland)
- Swedish 3rd UHV needs 15 cities
- Lithuanian 1st UHV requires 2000 culture
- Added a couple new "barbarian" spawns from Morholt: Swedish Crusades, Chudes, Nogais, Kalmyks
- Expanded Swedish and Portuguese spawn areas, so they flip Abo and Porto respectively
- Added Show Hidden Attitudes Modcomp
- Minor nations in Tetuoan (Wattasids), and Oran (Ziyyanids) from RFCE++
- The Leaning Tower provides a random Great Person, National Epic has it's former bonus (+100% GP birth rate)

Map and province changes:
- Updated Polish and Lithuanian SettlerMaps
- Moved the Polish spawn location one tile north to match the new terrain
- Isle of Man province expanded with the northern British islands (Hebrides, Orkney). New province name: The Isles
- Updated the Balkan parts of the Byzantian, Bulgarian and Ottoman CityNameMap
- Moved starting positions/capitals to realistic location: Hungary 1W, Lithuania 1E, Kiev 3N 3W, Portugal 1N
- Now the Lithuanian capital is correctly Vilnius, Hungarian is correctly Buda
- Also moved a couple indy cities to realistic location: Riga 2E, Minsk 3E 2N, Smolensk 2N 1W, Valencia 1S
- Rearranged resources to better cover these new city spots
- Revised most of the NE provinces. Still not perfect, but much better
- Renamed Finland to Österland, and White Rus to Minsk
- Balancing near the SE part of the map (both resources and a few plot types), and smaller changes in the North African area
- Added a couple more Wetlands/Marshes, mostly in the Russian area
- Added a few gems to North Africa and NE Russia (as all of them were replaced by amber). They represent the gems in the Atlas mountains and Siberia, and they are hard to get
- Added Reykjavik with Berserkers and Valletta with Hospitaller Knights as late indy cities, if they are not settled (from Morholt)
- Tripoli moved 2N 2W, added Tarabulus as it's respawn
- Added Nidaros, Abo and Porto as indy cities
- Adjusted territory and resources in these areas, especially in Portugal. Slightly expanded province Lusitania to follow these changes
- New/updated CityNameMap for Genoa, Turkey, Venice, France/Burgundy Hungary, Austria, Germany, Kiev, Spain, Portugal, Cordoba, Arabia, Turkey, Byzantium, smaller fixes in the English, Dutch and Bulgarian ones

XML/text updates:
- Renamed "Temple Mount" to "Kazimierz" (To represent the Jewish Quarter of Krakow)
- XML cleanup and renaming various text fixes, also added some links
- Added a couple hints, revised all the older ones (including everything from vanilla Civ IV/Warlords/BtS)
- Papal States will ALWAYS be named Papal States
- Fixed xml mistakes and typos in the texts of Matthias and Philip the Bold, updated Simeon and Elisabeth
- Olives don't require Calendar to be harvested (no change gameplaywise, because you will already have calendar when they spawn)
- Diplotext fixes, also added a few generic first contacts
- Civ specific Dawn of Man screen. Most civs still have the generic text until we update them
- A few more hints - to keep up with the latest changes
- Road to Masjid al-Haram renamed to Umayyad Mosque (Great Mosque of Damascus)
- Added DoM text to most of the civs
- Removed unused animal sound entries
- Renamed Marsh to Wetland, Mud to Marsh
- Huge XML organization and uniformization
- New civilopedia text for Abu Yusuf Yaqub (changing him to Abu Yusuf Yaqub al-Mansur), and various small fixes in most leaders' texts.
- Revised parts of the changelog file, while adding and/or organizing all the older changes too
- Added all missing UHV names (a couple Sweden, Genoan and Lithuanian)

Python/C++ updates and AI tweaks:
- Europe is now divided into regions (XMLConsts and RFCEurope into C++), this will affect "continent" wonders and it has big effect on the AI
- Cleaned some old Rhye code from the Victory and RFCEvent modules
- Removed some debug messages generated by Plagues
- Some balance tweaks for the new AI behavior (spliting Europe into areas made a significant impact on the AI)
- The AI now considers WarMaps when picking a city to attack (before WarMaps were only used for scripted wars)
- SettlerMaps no longer used in the city attack algorithm
- Reworked the targeting algorithm for attacking indy and barb cities outside the WarMap, we should see much less of that

Art/Sound updates:
- Added Dromon sounds (Ethnic Byzantine War Galley)
- New diplo music for Simeon and Ivan Asen II
- New in-game song Bogorodice Devo (Serbian Orthodox Chant)
- New art for Catherine (by Melcher Kürzer)
- All leaders' diplomusic is set to loop
- German and Austrian units have Holy Roman order/select sounds (vanilla German sounds were too modern)
- Italian order/select sounds for Venice and Genoa (instead of Roman)
- Better wondermovie for the Leaning Tower, new wondermovie for San Marco Basilica
- Merc names and Barbarian names appear in the format: Horse Archer (Khazars)
- GRAPHICS LIGHT VERSION: in folders RFCEurope\Assets\XML\Civilzations and RFCEurope\Assets\XML\Art, there are two files that end with .xml_light
if those two files repalce the corresponding .xml files, then the game will use only BtS leaderhead graphics and the mod will be much lighter

Balance:
- Prebuild Feitoria in Portugese cities (only after the discovery of Astronomy)
- Pope doesn't favor to build the Notre Dame anymore
- The Pope is far more likely to favor the Catholic owner of Jerusalem, when deciding to build Churches/Monasteries
- Genoa and Venezia prefers to build the Lanterna wonder, Poland more likely builds Kazimierz
- Slightly improved Polish-Lithuanian and Polish-Hungarian relations
- Added defenders for the Seljuks (Arbalest and Guisarme)
- Removed ability of the Templar Knight to move through enemy territory
- All gunpowder units (except arquebuseirs) and gunpowderbased siege units (bombards and more advanced ones) ignore building defenses
- Austrian Kuirassier doesn't ignore building defences
- Added more Balkan provinces to the Hungarian Crusader map so they can call Defensive Crusades against the Ottomans
- Crossbows don't upgrade to Longbows and Longbows are about 10% more expensive (this should nerf the powerful Longbowman)
- Normal light cavalry units have 25% city attack penalty, while light cavalry based UUs (Berber Cavalry, Ghazi and Huszar) have 10% city attack penalty
- None of the light cavalry type units can adopt the drill promotion line
- Siege and naval units cannot have march and medic promotions
- Papal State has more appropriate starting units (still get advanced units, but not by that much)
- Temple Mount (Jewish Shrine) is pre-built in Jerusalem
- Leonardo's Workship now adds Great Engineer points instead of Great Artist
- Increased/balanced a couple improvement build times
- Slightly balanced a couple terrains and features bonuses (unhealth, movement, defense)
- Marshes (Wetlands) can be improved after the removal of Mud (Marsh)
- Balancing desert tiles: Oasis got a +1 food boost, but no more forest, sheep or horse on desert
- Increased Wall cost to 100, Pagan Shrine cost reduced to 30
- Balanced most barbs (both number and area). IE: reduced barbs near Cordoba, increased pirate and horse archer activity, moved mongol spawn areas (no more Keshiks around Jerusalem)
- Reduced upgrade time of towns: cottage-hamlet 10 turns, hamlet-village 15 turns, village-town 25 turns
- Removed second settler and a few initial units from the Portugal spawn (as Porto flips to them)
- upkeep for Militarism and Imperialism is now Medium and High respectively
- new Spanish UHV, the Colony UHV is moved to 1588AD and UHV 3 is now changed to require Catholics to get more land and more Population than any other Religion by 1648AD
- adjusted the Mongols so that they will hit Hungary more often and also added another invasion spot near Bulgaria
- increaded the power of Venice AI (in the special modifiers)
- Venice (city) gets a pre-build City Walls since the rivers don't provide enough defense
- Ragusa was keeping Venice down, now Venice AI is constantly at war with Ragusa and the plot of Ragusa was changed to flat-land (no defensive bonus)
- adjusted many parameters in RFCEBalance due to the new map division and better AI

Bugfixes:
- Genoa UHV no longer fails if all 7 corporations are founded before you get the 8 Banks
- Germany no longer wins thier UHV if they found Printing Press, but are not Catholic (you need to really found Protestantism)
- Calais now spawns properly in 800AD
- Cordoba and Sweden no longer get strange promotions on inappropriate units (i.e. no more ships with Formation)
- Fixed a small bug in TeamAI.cpp thanks to Morholt
- Removed BtS interface hints which were inaccurate for RFCE (multiplayer, spaceship, etc)
- Horse Archers do Flanking damage now (as it was intended)
- Fixed a strange crash when Crusaders don't find a proper spot to appear when a Crusade victim collapsed
- Fixed a bug about old stability code when switching civilizations
- Grenadiers are now correctly Gunpowder units (as opposed to Heavy Infantry)
- Hacked another ugly bug with the path-finding algorithm, the settler sometimes doesn't find a road to the target and then goes in an infinite loop
- Hopefully we finally managed to fix the huge do-nothing stacks bug
- Fixed a mongol spawn bug in Barbs.py (only appeared on Viceroy)
- fixed a bug associated with the return of the crusades, the game crashes if the unit conquering Jerusalem has to return, now Crusaders return on the next turn after the fall of Jerusalem

Beta 12 and earlier threads should be abandoned now. We only consider feedback for Beta 13 (and newer svn of course). Most of the discussion should be here.

To note some known problems:
- the Balkans balance is iffy, either Bulgari or Byzantium get very powerful and while the Ottomans do deal easily with powerful Byzantium, Bulgaria seems more of a problem
- Venice AI is about 50/50 of too weak or too strong
- Austria is overall too weak

Those I will definitely work on. Let me know of more problems.

Enjoy.

PS: To Morholt: this will take you a while to incorporate within your mod. Let me know if you have any big issues, you can PM me at any time.

This is so wonderful! :)

I only object against the free civic change during Golden Age, now ancient regimes like the Byzantines can keep up to date with the most modern civics. Earlier this was not possible due to the large stability penalties.

No-war at start against new civs is great! Now there really will be an Arabia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Venetia and Genoa :)

Are the seljuk spawns outside Jerusalem fixed?

One quick question:
- Cannot declare war on newly spawned players for X turns (X can be set in RFCEBalance.py). Currently 5 turns
does it means:
a. Player cannot declare war on a newly spawned AI civ
b. AI cannot declare war on player
c. both the above

and a couple of comments

- Moved starting positions/capitals to realistic location: Hungary 1W, Lithuania 1E, Kiev 3N 3W, Portugal 1N
Isn't Buda a bit too close to Vienna?
I know in reality it is, but in the game could be cumbersome (to don't mention that Buda loses the protection from the river).

- Some of the crusader units will leave after capturing Jerusalem
This is a good idea, and it will make more difficoult for the crusaders to keep Jerusalem and conquer all middle east (as very often happens in this game).

One quick question:

does it means:
a. Player cannot declare war on a newly spawned AI civ
b. AI cannot declare war on player
c. both the above

Nobody can declare war no the player that has just spawned. So you can't just get a big stack and kill them as soon as they appear. The exception is when a war is already on (i.e. Bulgaria and Byzantium), then the war is on.

This is so wonderful! :)

I only object against the free civic change during Golden Age, now ancient regimes like the Byzantines can keep up to date with the most modern civics. Earlier this was not possible due to the large stability penalties.
The Byz have their UP, which means that stability was less of an issue for them.

The new feature helps France, Spain and Poland that are supposed to be around for the most part of the game.

No-war at start against new civs is great! Now there really will be an Arabia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Venetia and Genoa :)

Are the seljuk spawns outside Jerusalem fixed?

What was the issue of the Seljuks. The spawn areas for many barbs have been adjusted, but I am not sure about the Seljuks in particular.

the problem that Buda/Vienna are to close aren't there since previously the Hungarian AI loved settling a city somewhere between them

This discussion about papal influence over the election of the HR emperor led me to think that in general the papal power is quite under represented in this modmod.
I think that there should be more bonuses if you are a devout papal follower and more problems if you aren't.
For example: what about give the pope the ability to excommunicate every X turns one of the 3 civs with less faith points? Excommunication could mean a loss of stability and the declaration of war of a random number of the most pious civs. Maybe the leader with the most fp could be asked if he wants to influence this decision by paying something (gold or faith points?)

I know that this is quite external to the scope of this modmod but I'm only brainstorming about the topics that you are discussing atm :)

I just wanted to raise this suggestion taken from Morholt's thread, since I think it's a good one.

I just wanted to raise this suggestion taken from Morholt's thread, since I think it's a good one.

Off the top of my head, you will have to balance something like that against newly spawned civs. I spawn, convert and then get excommunicated for not having enough faith yet.

We can make the Pope more mean, but I am not sure going after their own in such manner is a good thing. Overall this will only weaken the Catholic players. We can have the Pope give hate, but it will have to be for good reasons. Maybe for trading with the Muslims (bad for Venice and Genoa) or tolerating Protestants and Jews (bad for Poland) or something of that nature.

I suggest to solve all the problems at once with making Rome espionage powerhouse and playable civ with the following attributes:

Civilization: Papal States (one city challenge)
Leader: The Pope (currently there is a typo -- it says in Diplomacy screens: "I am the Pope of The Pope")

UP: Cannot be at War with anybody (even barbarians and Independents to avoid capturing Barbarian cities by human player )

UB: Roman Curia -- Replaces Church: Generates 1 Archbishop resource per Catholic Civ. This resource will be required for Cathedrals, key Religious Wonders and Faith based corporations and will be the constant source of power of Rome and human Player's dependency. Westminster Abbey can generate the only alternative -- before the Protestantism.

UU: Papal Legate (or Monk, Jesuits came into existence too late, alas): Replaces Spy -- all the abilities of Spy plus mini-infiltration ability with 500 espionage points (1/6 of Great Spy):

UHV 1: Control the MEANS of Europe: Be richer than all the Catholic Civs combined at 1216 (Innocent III)

UHV 2: Control the MINDS of Europe: Be the first to discover Renaissance Tech.

UHV3. Control the MEN of Europe: All the Civs must be Catholic or Collapsed in 1750.

How about only allowing excommunication when you declare war against a devout civ (with certain preconditions, i.e. not as a result of defensive alliance, not as newly spawned civ)? Thought that would require the faith points of other nations to be visible.

Perhaps expand the defensive crusades? In my games, they rarely appear, and mostly occur in Spain.

Interaction with the Pope could also be included as a quest system. For example, given the precondition a) devout player, b) Ottomans are strong, c) Ottomans are at war with any of Christian {Austria, Hungary, Venice ...} you are asked to kill x Ottoman units, for some reward.

... which brings me to another question I have: There is a very old thread with quest discussion. Are quests anywhere on the design roadmap, and would you appreciate ideas and suggestions about quests?

I suggest to solve all the problems at once with making Rome espionage powerhouse and playable civ with the following attributes:
What can you do with espionage? It is only an alternative to gold/science, you can steal techs and perhaps influence a civic change. Poisoning the water supply or destroying production should not something that the Pope should engage in.

Civilization: Papal States (one city challenge)
Leader: The Pope (currently there is a typo -- it says in Diplomacy screens: "I am the Pope of The Pope")
I'll make a note to fix the diplo screen.

UP: Cannot be at War with anybody (even barbarians and Independents to avoid capturing Barbarian cities by human player )
That's currently in and it is fine.

UB: Roman Curia -- Replaces Church: Generates 1 Archbishop resource per Catholic Civ. This resource will be required for Cathedrals, key Religious Wonders and Faith based corporations and will be the constant source of power of Rome and human Player's dependency. Westminster Abbey can generate the only alternative -- before the Protestantism.

You basically want to change the way Cathedrals and Religious Wonders are build. It would be annoying for the human to have to trade for the "Archbishop" all the time, but this is only gold and some extra resources.

Also, why should Westminster Abbey be except? Was England independent form Rome before the Reformation? I would think that the western schism of Avignon Papacy.

UU: Papal Legate (or Monk, Jesuits came into existence too late, alas): Replaces Spy -- all the abilities of Spy plus mini-infiltration ability with 500 espionage points (1/6 of Great Spy):
Fine, except for the earlier comment about the spying.

UHV 1: Control the MEANS of Europe: Be richer than all the Catholic Civs combined at 1216 (Innocent III)

UHV 2: Control the MINDS of Europe: Be the first to discover Renaissance Tech.

UHV3. Control the MEN of Europe: All the Civs must be Catholic or Collapsed in 1750.

Actually UHV 1 and 2 do play well with the espionage thing. I am not completely sure if this is good representation of the Papacy.

... which brings me to another question I have: There is a very old thread with quest discussion. Are quests anywhere on the design roadmap, and would you appreciate ideas and suggestions about quests?

No. RFCE 1.0 will not have quests or random events.

Something like "guided Crusades", i.e. the Pope liking you for attacking one non-Catholic nation or another, maybe implemented, but this will not be the same as quests.

Off the top of my head, you will have to balance something like that against newly spawned civs. I spawn, convert and then get excommunicated for not having enough faith yet.

ummm could it be tied to the gain/loss of faith points since the last "excommunication round"? (or maybe some sort of coefficient that counts actual fp and the gain/loss) if this would be the case it should be much more easy to lose fp (because as far as i know losing fp is quite rare).

ummm could it be tied to the gain/loss of faith points since the last "excommunication round"? (or maybe some sort of coefficient that counts actual fp and the gain/loss) if this would be the case it should be much more easy to lose fp (because as far as i know losing fp is quite rare).

Rejecting a Crusade or letting foreign religions in mass numbers is the only way to lose faith significantly.

The excommunication was more of a political thing, wasn't it? The problem wasn't loss of faith, but loss of Papal favor.

yes, but how do you measure papal favor? I don't think that using the actual diplomatic attitude is an option because whatever i did in my games (besides being a non-catholic) the pope has always been at least cautious...

in addition, if i'm not wrong, having high levels of faith gives some boost to your relations with the pope...

Guided crusades sounds like a great mechanic!

Considering the Dawn of Man texts: I made suggestions for Ottomans, Muscovites and Austrians that weren't incorporated, but not rejected, perhaps they were missed? I see that you've added another one for Ottomans, but Muscovites and Austria still have the default text. My suggestions were:

Austria:
"It is the year 1282. The Holy Roman Empire have had enough of the excesses of the Hohenstaufen. Called Stupor Mundi -astonishment of the world - Fredrick II has made the people long for stability and moderation. Your Habsburg dynasty will provide that. Navigate carefully through the intricate diplomacy of central Europe, and your dynasty will still stand proudly many hundreds of years from now!"

The Ottomans:
"It is the year 1359. Allah has truly shown his favour towards you. Firstly, the Black Death affected the Byzantines in the cities, but largely spared the countryside of the Turks. Secondly, the earthquake in Gallipoli 1354 levelled all the walls. The way to Europe is open, you need only to reach out and grasp it!"

The Muscovites:
"It is the year 1380. The shadow of the Mongol Golden has loomed over the land for more than a hundred years. With the people chafing under their oppression, fear has prevented effective resistance. All has changed now on the fields of Kulikovo, where you led your coalition to victory. The road ahead is long and arduous, but in the end, Mother Russia will prevail!"

Nice to see the changelist. Don't understand the divided Europe concept and its effect on AI yet, but I believe you :) Also hope the merc system will be better - previously I rarely used mercs; but when I needed them, usually no merc was available. Hope it was changed now.

One annoying bug remained though: the flashing amber (at least with intel 945 chipset graphics and regardless of frozen animations). Reported it looong time ago.

Also, remember reading some thread about the autosave - wasn't it supposed to be removed from the autoplay (even back in normal rfc)? It is really not necessary. Don't know if it would speed up autoplay, but supposedly could.

Also, in the mod Reference directory, the png files are still outdated, were so even in beta12 and probably before that.

Three small things as the Byzantines:

- Barbarians now consist of double stacks of lancers, right in the beginning, spawning near your cities. Kinda hard!
- Should hippodromes give +1 happy for every 5% culture?
- No mercenaries available the first hundred years

Top Bottom