Beware of war enemies being friendly with neighbors!

polypheus

Prince
I was playing a game where I was was able to form a good coalition again AI warmonger Alexander (who declared on me and is to my west). The war went well and I took two of his cities. My east seemed secure as I had pretty good relations with Kublai Khan who I don't believe is a backstabbing warmonger. However, Khan then declared war on me while I was at war with Alex! I then looked at the diplomatic screen and noticed that Alex and Khan had decent relations.

Needless to say this situation was quite stressing as Khan and I shared a long border and due to religion, I was able to see massive stacks ready to invade. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the game crashed soon afterwards and I was forced to reload.

Well this time around (since the reload was at a point before Khan declared against me) I decided to end the war with Alex. I think that might have made the difference as this time around Khan did not declare on me and the game proceeded much better (although I feel like not playing it anymore since I reloaded and thus cheated in a way).

But the point is that when at war, you need to check the relations between your war enemy and your neighbors. Even if the neighbors are "pleased", if they have about as good or better relations with the enemy than you, you could very well find yourself facing an enemy you didn't expect. Also it means that you should avoid prolonged wars since just as you can create coalitions against the AI enemy, he too will try the same against you.

I guess Alexander somehow bribed the Mongols... :) Just like what human players do all the time.

BTW, I found Isabella of Spain very easy to join her friend's war. As long as you share the same state religion for some time, and maintain a Pleased relationship with her, she either nods without saying anything (because she also dislikes your enemy), or she asks for a cheap price (a single, mediocre tech). This was on Emperor.

Top Bottom